LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: 100 mph possible?
Reply #46 - 12/07/12 at 09:43:25

The % of influence that aerodynamic drag has certainly increases with speed, but what % is from aerodynamic or mechanical or friction will continually vary as speed increases.  The only way to isolate the aerodynamic drag and get accurate numbers for it is to mount the bike, with rider, in a wind tunnel and crank up the big fan.
For mechanical and frictional drag I would think a dyno would be able to calculate that.  If that can be calculated then perhaps we could take all of that and determine the total % of each at specific speeds, assuming the road is flat, ambient air is static and the throttle is held absolutely steady.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #47 - 12/07/12 at 10:18:42

LANCER wrote on 12/07/12 at 09:43:25:
The % of influence that aerodynamic drag has certainly increases with speed, but what % is from aerodynamic or mechanical or friction will continually vary as speed increases.  The only way to isolate the aerodynamic drag and get accurate numbers for it is to mount the bike, with rider, in a wind tunnel and crank up the big fan.
For mechanical and frictional drag I would think a dyno would be able to calculate that.  If that can be calculated then perhaps we could take all of that and determine the total % of each at specific speeds, assuming the road is flat, ambient air is static and the throttle is held absolutely steady.  

Mechanical and frictional drag vary with speed and rpm.  In top gear you can just consider rpm varying with speed which will cause horsepower drains to vary consistently with speed/rpm.

Aero drag varies with the square of speed, which is why it is such a small factor at 20 mph, but a show-stopper as you approach the ton.  I would think aero drag near the ton would use 90% of the power available, assuming that much power was actually available.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #48 - 12/07/12 at 12:59:11

Why do you assume that the aerodynamic drag would require 90% of the power needed to maintain 100mph ?

Why not 75% ?

Or 50% ?

What is your point of reference ?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #49 - 12/07/12 at 13:00:03

If anyone wants to play with numbers...

A Savage at 60 mph usually gets about 60 mpg, or put another way burns one gallon per hour of fuel. Good-running gasoline engines working at full throttle (as tested on load dynamometers) can deliver about 11 horsepower-hours per gallon of fuel, so we might assume the engine to be making 11 horsepower. Actually, because it is operating at no more than half-throttle its efficiency is less, so it delivers less. Let's call it ten horsepower. This, by definition, is 33,000 ft-lbs per minute per horsepower, or 330,000 ft-lbs per minute for ten horsepower. During that minute it travels 5280 feet (one mile). Simple division (330,000/5280) gives a thrust of just over 61 pounds. Since drag and thrust are equal, total drag is that same 61 lbs. If we estimate rolling resistance at 1% of total weight, and assume a 400 lb bike and a 200 lb rider, we have a rolling resistance of 6 lbs. 61 lbs - 6 lbs yields 55 lbs, substantially all of which must be aerodynamic drag. Right here we have shown that aerodynamic drag is about 90% of the total at 60 mph.

Rolling resistance is sometimes treated as constant varying slightly or not at all with speed. Even if we say it increases linearly with speed, at 100 mph it would be 10 lbs instead of six. But aerodynamic drag increases with the square of speed. The change from 60 mph to 100 mph is an increase of 67% to 1.67 times original. Squaring 1.67 gives about 2.8, and multiplying that time the 55 lbs gives 153 lbs of aero drag plus the 10 lbs of rolling drag for a total of 163 lbs. At 100 mph we travel 8800 feet in one minute. Multiplication gives 8800 * 163, 1,434,400 ft-lbs of work. Dividing that by the 33,000 ft-lbs/min of a horsepower shows we need a little over 43 hp to go 100 mph.

Ain't math fun?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #50 - 12/07/12 at 13:56:35

60 mph=60mpg
I think it's more like 50-53mpg but for simplicity I will go with 60mpg
Which gives 1gal/hr
Good running engine @ WOT=11hp/gal/hr ???  
Is it the same for our 650 single as for a 650 sport bike ???  Hmmm.
Maintaining 60mph on our bike only requires about 1/3 throttle yet you only decrease the 11hp by 1hp.  If the throttle setting is decreased by 2/3  why is the power not decreased by 2/3 ?  Or even just 1/2 ?
Seems to me you are dealing with apples and oranges.
If instead of the assumed 10hp it is only 5-6 hp then your numbers change considerably which reduces the % of effective aerodynamic drag a corresponding amount.
Does it not ? ?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #51 - 12/07/12 at 14:11:05

Forgot something.
You mentioned aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance but did not address the effect of mechanical resistance.
That is a factor and as yet is not known how much of a factor it is, just like the rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag.  
We have no definitive information that defines at what speed and throttle setting the relative effect is, percentage wise, of each of these 3 factors.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #52 - 12/07/12 at 21:54:25

LANCER wrote on 12/07/12 at 13:56:35:
60 mph=60mpg
I think it's more like 50-53mpg but for simplicity I will go with 60mpg
Which gives 1gal/hr
Good running engine @ WOT=11hp/gal/hr ???  
Is it the same for our 650 single as for a 650 sport bike ???  Hmmm.
Maintaining 60mph on our bike only requires about 1/3 throttle yet you only decrease the 11hp by 1hp.  If the throttle setting is decreased by 2/3  why is the power not decreased by 2/3 ?  Or even just 1/2 ?
Seems to me you are dealing with apples and oranges.
If instead of the assumed 10hp it is only 5-6 hp then your numbers change considerably which reduces the % of effective aerodynamic drag a corresponding amount.
Does it not ? ?

The figure of 11 hp-hr/gal comes from the Nebraska Tractor Test Lab, among other places. They tested gasoline tractors at maximum power for hours on end. That is an approximate median of some several hundred tests. Some tractors did better, but few exceeded 12 hp-hr/gal while many did considerably worse. This figure, by the way, means 11 hp for one hour while burning one gallon of fuel. A tractor producing more horsepower burns correspondingly more fuel. Typically, low-revving engines with few big cylinders (two cylinder John Deere) are more efficient than many cylinders turning very fast (sport-bike type engines, optimized not for efficiency but for maximum power). Gasoline engines are typically most efficient at WOT, because they do not have to inhale fuel and air past a partially-closed throttle plate. I reduced the 11 hp-hr/gal to only 10, to allow for at least part of the loss of efficiency caused by running the engine at half or less throttle. It might actually be worse, but I don't have any way to know. Remember that the LS650 is usually given credit for anywhere from 25 to 35 hp, depending on the source, so the 10 hp I use is much less than its maximum. I based my thrust calculation on the horsepower actually being developed based on fuel useage, not the max. If the true horsepower is different, then the thrust is different and so is the relative percentage of rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag.

My estimate of rolling resistance includes not only the rolling resistance of the tires, but also the frictional resistance of bearings, belt, and any other moving parts. In fact, we can measure this resistance directly by the relatively simple expedient of tying a rope to the bike, tying a spring scale to the rope, and having someone pull you along while reading the scale. At the low speed of a person pulling a small vehicle, it is safe to ignore aerodynamic drag. I'd welcome such real-world measurements as a check on my estimate. Since we are dealing with a land vehicle, we do not need to consider form drag, which is involved with production of lift in aircraft. Even if we did, form drag is part of aerodynamic drag. If we allow for non-level ground, we do have to consider the power required to literally lift the vehicle up a hill.

Please do not misunderstand me - I welcome your questions. I admit to a brief post with relatively few explanations, and I am often guilty of incomplete explanations. Incidentally, I probably should have said something more along the lines of "well-designed engine" instead of "good running engine." A poorly designed engine can run well, and a well designed one can run poorly.

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 07:04:05 by Charon »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #53 - 12/08/12 at 09:18:08

Other-than-aerodynamic drains on horsepower (friction(mechanical), rolling resistance, etc.) vary with rpm, and therefore speed, if you consider only 5th gear operation for the sake of discussion.

Aero drag varies with the square of speed because of fluid dynamics.  Sitting upright on a Savage is pretty draggy.  My guess is the the Cd is approx 1.0.  I would be very surprised if it were less than .8 or more than 1.1.

We only have somewhere between 30 and 35 hp available to put on the ground.  
-- I don't have precise numbers, but with all that drag, and the limited horsepower, I can understand why these bikes are pretty much tuckered out above 80mph.  
-- I think we'll have a tough time getting to the ton without some hot-rodding and some streamlining, and probably some regearing.  We need a few more horsepower, a fairing, and a sixth gear.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #54 - 12/08/12 at 09:20:50

.. or a nice 20mph tailwind... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #55 - 12/08/12 at 09:23:02

Serowbot wrote on 12/08/12 at 09:20:50:
.. or a nice 20mph tailwind... Wink...

That would do it, most likely, since at these speeds the aerodynamic drag is the 800lb gorilla.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #56 - 12/08/12 at 09:25:42

( In Russian accent)- "100 miles per hour possible, but not recommended ." Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #57 - 12/08/12 at 09:36:07

LANCER wrote on 12/07/12 at 12:59:11:
Why do you assume that the aerodynamic drag would require 90% of the power needed to maintain 100mph ?

Why not 75% ?

Or 50% ?

What is your point of reference ?

Note I said "I would think."  I feel 90% is a valid ballpark number because of the way drag builds with the square of speed.  

Let's say the drag is 20 pounds at 25 mph.  That means it will be 80 pounds at 50, and 320 pounds at 100.  For vehicles like these, horsepower required once you get near the ton just gets oppressive.

All this conversation, and riding round on my RYCA at 70 to 80, feeling how it doesn't have much acceleration left, really makes the performance of the FJR-1300 at around-the-ton speeds so astonishing.  Without even downshifting, the thing just leaps at those speeds when you feel like accelerating.  That doesn't make the RYCA bike any less enjoyable, though,.. it is quite entertaining in its speed regime when out boppin' around on back country roads. There is just something more alive, more visceral about a thumper.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 12/08/12 at 10:43:30

Serowbot wrote on 12/07/12 at 07:51:23:
I know this,... if I'm going 65mph, and I tuck in everywhere (body, head, knees, elbows),... I can gain 4 to 6 mph... at the same throttle...
If you have a cruiser type windscreen,.. fugetaboutit... Grin...

If I'm going 65 mph and my wife falls off.......Well I better turn around and go back to get her!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #59 - 12/08/12 at 13:22:48

Dave wrote on 12/08/12 at 10:43:30:
If I'm going 65 mph and my wife falls off.......Well I better turn around and go back to get her!

if she has been eating a lot of wheat lately, you'll sure be able to go a lot faster on your trip back to her.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:35:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 100 mph possible?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.