Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1995 Savage won't start (Read 114 times)
kidstendo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1995 Savage won't start
12/03/12 at 15:10:12

Hi,

Brand new owner of a 1995 Savage. Bought off ebay a few weeks ago. 1995 very clean with 3K miles. Want to make this a bobber VIA bluecollarbobber.com.. Anyway, I get the bike home and it will not start! The dude I bought it from said his neighbor just "tuned" the carb. It ran fine during the test drive and the 10 minutes I rode it when I got home.. Turns over but just won't start.. I removed the tank, Drained the gas, checked for spark. All good.. I'm about to remove the carb (scared) and try to re-jet.. I saw some carb kit on eBay for like $40.00. Any help would be great. I really don't want to take that carb off.. Is the compression to low maybe? I don't even know how to check that..   Thx   Kidstendo, Illinois

« Last Edit: 12/03/12 at 16:17:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
bohe1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

illinois
Re: Won't start
Reply #1 - 12/03/12 at 15:18:14

Hi,
I'm no expert but i think you should ck and see if carburetor is getting fuel from the petcock valve before remiving carb from engine! perhaps a stock float? try tapping on the carb. bowl, (Light tapping)

My 2 cents.  Cool

2002 Silver Savage 650 with Ed's L Forward controls and Dyna sorty mod. Cool
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/03/12 at 15:21:19

if it ran when you got it, I don't think it's too far out of line to start again.

1st thing I'd do would be to check the voltage while starting, anything less than 10v and it ain't gonna start.

so all you might have to do is charge the battery.

also, don't fry the starter with a lot of long winded starts.

no more than 30 seconds and leave it to cool for 5 minutes.  reach down there and grab it, if it's too hot to touch, it's too hot to start.

WWW   IP Logged
kidstendo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/03/12 at 15:31:18

Thanks.. I did that already. The tapping and everything.. Gas looks to be going into the carb..

D

IP Logged
kidstendo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/03/12 at 15:35:12

Thanks! I'm assuming I should be getting 10V at the starter? I'll find the starter.. I did recharge the battery as well. I never crank it more then 5-6 times and I'm done. I'm assuming the starter is somewhere obvious since you said bend down and feel if it's warm.. I will try.  THANKS!

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 12/03/12 at 18:09:49

kidstendo wrote on 12/03/12 at 15:35:12:
Thanks! I'm assuming I should be getting 10V at the starter? I'll find the starter.. I did recharge the battery as well. I never crank it more then 5-6 times and I'm done. I'm assuming the starter is somewhere obvious since you said bend down and feel if it's warm.. I will try.  THANKS!

The starter is very easy to find. It is the cylinder shaped part on top of the  crankcase directly behind the cylinder(it is laying flat by the way Wink )

To really help you out you need to go to the Technical Documents section,then scroll down and click on Table of Contents and under the heading "Documentation" click on "online manuals". There are some downloadable service manuals there that you really need before you tear into anything unless you have prior MC mechanical experience.

Good luck!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 12:15:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1995 Savage won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.