Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pilot jets with holes in the sides vs no holes (Read 276 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Pilot jets with holes in the sides vs no holes
Reply #15 - 12/04/12 at 09:30:12

Maybew I missed it, BUt Rowboat asked What is your Idle Like,,
& Stated, If its slow & lopey like, it'll cook yer cam,, & It will,, Gotta keep that idle up around 1,000..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #16 - 12/04/12 at 10:09:00

Idle's fine (at least 1000 rpm) when hot, but now it dies when cold. I'll try going back to a 52.5 jet. Running rich with the 55 got rid of the backfiring, but now any amount of choke stalls it. Must be another way to get rid of the backfiring.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 12/04/12 at 11:38:38

You will not be able to eliminate backfiring until you get a bike with fuel injection......your Savage is going to backfire sometimes when you shift or go down a hill, or slow down.  The backfiring is a result of having a primitive carb on the big single.

I have a Fuel Ratio monitor temporarily on my motorcycle, and I can see when the engine is running rich, or correct, or lean.  When I am cruising along at a steady speed and roll off the throttle - the fuel flow to the engine is cut drastically and the engine goes waaaaay lean - so lean that the spark plug will not ignite the mixture that goes into the cylinder and unburned fuel goes into the exhaust pipe.  Then when I  open the throttle and the mixture again burns, the flame going out the header pipe ignites the unburned fuel in the exhaust system and "BANG".  Our carb has a TEV valve that is supposed to sense the large engine vacuum and allow additional fuel to flow through the carb - but it does not stop all the backfiring.

If you start to richen the carb mixture up to eliminate or reduce the backfire you might help things a bit - but if you richen too much the engine will not run well as it will be too rich when cruising or accelerating.

You can adjust your riding style to reduce the backfire by shifting between gears quickly - and do not completely close the throttle while shifting.  You don't have to shift as if you were in a drag race - just don't be lazy about it and hustle through the clutching and shifting so you can get the throttle open again before too much unburned fuel gets into the exhaust system.

« Last Edit: 12/04/12 at 13:20:03 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 12/04/12 at 13:23:29

This question is mostly directed at Lancer or anyone that has replaced the stock Constant Velocity Carb with a Mikuni Round Slide.

Does the Savage continue to backfire as often (or more) when a properly letted constant velocity carb is replaced with a properly jetted Mikuni VM carb?

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #19 - 12/04/12 at 13:28:05

Thanks for the analysis. I ride as you describe and don't get backfiring when I shift. With the 55 pilot jet, I get almost no backfiring when I roll off the throttle at a turn or when stopping, but now it stalls at idle when the engine is cold and even slightly choked. I can start and run without the choke with the idle mix screw almost all the way in, but I assume I'll have problems running too rich when it warms up here in the spring, and I'll have no room to lean it out. Maybe this is a problem that can't be solved, just worked around, as you suggest. It does seem like a 53.75 jet would put the idle mix screw right where I want it, though, and let me find a better compromise between cold engine idling and backfiring.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 12/04/12 at 13:39:43

You might try another option....which is the slide needle.  Drop the Pilot Jet back to the 52.5 or even a 50, and raise the slide needle by taking out one more washer.

My bike is running really nicely with a 50 Pilot, 150 Main and only 2 washers on top of the needle.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #21 - 12/04/12 at 17:49:10

Dave wrote on 12/04/12 at 13:39:43:
You might try another option....which is the slide needle.  Drop the Pilot Jet back to the 52.5 or even a 50, and raise the slide needle by taking out one more washer.

My bike is running really nicely with a 50 Pilot, 150 Main and only 2 washers on top of the needle.

Does raising the needle make the mixture richer throughout the entire throttle range? I vaguely remember doing something like that 35 years ago, on a Yamaha 2-stroke that was running hot but can't recall what throttle range it affected.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 12/05/12 at 05:33:29

Raising the needle richens the mixture from somewhere around 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle - then above 3/4 the main jet takes priority.  There is some overlap below 1/4 and above 3/4......

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #23 - 12/05/12 at 06:57:29

So, that could improve mid-range performance (say, accelerating to pass)?

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 06:20:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pilot jets with holes in the sides vs no holes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.