Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
The First 5,000 Miles
12/01/12 at 14:11:55

The First 5,000 Miles

A lot has changed since February when I bought a 2007 S40 with 3,644 miles for $1,500. A lot has changed with the bike. A lot has changed with me. I had never ridden so I had to have the bike delivered. It sat in my garage until the first week of April when I completed the MSF Beginning Rider course. I will admit I spent many hours with it in that cold garage during February and March; working the controls and becoming familiar with the mechanics.

The odometer turned 8,644 miles today, completing my first 5,000 miles as a rider; the bike and the rider still in one piece thanks to some good training and a bit of luck from time to time. The bike is strictly recreational. About 3,000 miles have been weekend rides around the central Kentucky countryside. The remaining 2,000 miles were put on in September during an eight day trip from central Kentucky to the Adirondacks in upstate New York. It was during that trip, riding through a rain storm coming into Buffalo that I think I crossed the line from a nervous beginner to a still cautious, but confident rider.

Anyway, in there have been a few additions to the bike in the first 5,000 miles. To each his own but I think they have made the bike better and more of a proper road bike. In order of installation:

Forward control set from Routy. At 6’2” these were a much welcome addition. I would have some difficulty standing up on the pegs now, but there is no way I could put on any meaningful miles without them. Highly recommended.

Memphis Shades Slim windscreen. This does an exceptional job keeping the wind off the chest at highway speeds. I took my time with it and now have it in final trim and have zero helmet buffeting. The screen does have that old style Police bike look and will never be confused with a cool looking fly screen. But the darn thing works well, very well.

Sissy bar from a 2002. The 2007 did not come with a sissy bar and the cost of an aftermarket one is just obscene. I bought a set of used side rails, sissy bar and backrest over eBay from Pinwall for $30. The backrest needs to be recovered but other than that, it was in good used condition. Now I have a place to mount a tool bag and my Saddlemen tail bag.

Corbin seat. This was on my upgrade list for next spring but a forum member about my height and weight put one up for sale in the Marketplace. It was less than one month old. I was the first to jump on it and could not be more pleased. I rode for about an hour and a half today and did not think about the seat once. Very nice.

I scored a Dyna muffler and custom stainless header adaptor from Dave and installed it last weekend. Compared to the stock muffler, it has a much deeper and satisfying sound without being obnoxiously loud. What is very surprising to me is that I am not experiencing any backfire with the Dyna and I have not yet changed the jets! With that said, it was 60 degrees for today’s extended test. We will see.

What’s next? I am considering aftermarket coil over shocks and a fork brace. I think I would like to have these in place before next year’s trips. At this writing, I have blocked out the third week in July for a trip to the Arkansas Ozarks and another run to the Adirondacks in early September.

Please accept my apology for being a little long winded.
Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: The First 5,000 Miles
Reply #1 - 12/01/12 at 15:58:29

Blinky:  Glad you were long winded.....it is refreshing to read a success story.  Lately there has not been a lot of that going on in the RSD section.

I got to ride around the long country block a bit yesterday and today.....I keep thinking the weather is going to change and each ride will be the last one in 2012.  Tomorrow's forecast for rain may be the final end of the riding for me this year.

« Last Edit: 12/02/12 at 12:40:33 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/01/12 at 18:31:44

'Twasnt longwinded, it was complete, & good to read,, Nice Goin, Man.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 12/03/12 at 04:23:50

Glad that you are as enthusiastic about your bike and riding as when you started earlier this year  Cheesy  Looking forward to your next long ride to get a comparison on the Corbin saddle  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 12/03/12 at 05:38:57

I'm glad the Corbin is working for you.  It looks like it found a good home.

Nice looking bike.  Here's to many more happy miles on it.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/03/12 at 06:10:04

I like the fork bag on the back.
I love these bikes in black.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 12/03/12 at 08:44:17

Congrats!

I just hit 3000 miles this weekend. But 95% of mine are commutes to work.  Though this weekends ride was to go see a bud and take him a bottle of Port Wine and a Bottle of Ms Scarlett for his wife.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:31:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › The First 5,000 Miles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.