Send Topic Print
Rear Tyre Question. (Read 56 times)
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
Rear Tyre Question.
12/01/12 at 10:11:33

Evening All... Getting cold in Limey Land... -3 this morning..

Anyhow I recently got a new rear tyre fitted to my LS. I've done about 100 to 150 miles on it. My local route to the supermarket takes me through a fast couple of S bends and I can feel the rear end slipping out a little... It feels loads and then bites. Very unerving at 50mph.

Question, how many miles would you expect a new tyre to take to break in?

Cheers.

AJ

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear Tyre Question.
Reply #1 - 12/01/12 at 10:17:42

about that mileage, but you're talking about adverse conditions and corners, so maybe a lot more.

I'd wash it thoroughly with something like simplegreen.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 12/01/12 at 10:50:25

With new tires I like to clean the tread surface with a strong cleaner as Vers suggested.  Then the fun part,... scrape them off by going out to a concrete parking lot with no one there, and ride around in circles in second gear, leaning over gradually further and further until things start scraping.  A few minutes of this turning left followed by a few minutes of turning right will usually wear off the crap the manufacturer left on the surface.  It's cool to see the faint black lines the tires leave on the pavement.  If you are smooth and consistent, after a while you'll have a black circle on the concrete.

This kind of exercise is usually a good one for self-training anyway.  It gets you reacquainted with your max lean angle,.. a good thing to know in sporty or accident-avoidance situations.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 12/01/12 at 13:49:38

The initial serface is slick, and it has to wear off...  And depending on how often and how hard you corner...  I have been known to scuff up new tires with scotch bright before riding.  You can get beyond the edge you usually turn to, and get the spot you may really need later.

IP Logged
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - 12/01/12 at 14:09:10

Good advice thanks... I thought as much but it's always nice to have a little more input.. It's a really weird sensation feeling the back slip out and lose a little grip on cornering. I do tend to ride quite hard but have been cooling it down..

But that long fast double S just begs me to fly.... just not on my butt... Grin

Thaks again.

AJ

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:25:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Tyre Question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.