Salt substitute? (Read 234 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Salt substitute?
11/29/12 at 16:09:08

I am now on a salt restricted diet (2 grams a day). Problem is I love salty foods. My favorite snack is olives. I bought a salt substitute, but It (potassium) inter fears with one of the drugs I'm on. Mrs Dash is only good on some things. Anybody have any suggestions on a substitute?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Re: Salt substitute?
Reply #1 - 11/29/12 at 16:36:10

Lemon juice

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 11/29/12 at 16:36:56

I've heard that there really is no substitute for salt. What I think would be in your best interests is to try completely new foods that aren't so dependent on salt for flavoring. You might be surprised what you find out there.

Case in point - I'm anything but vegan but a girl I work with is and she always brings in these vegan dishes that are so darn tasty it's ridiculous. I could easily live off of the stuff she brings in and be OK with not having some of my "guilty" pleasures.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/29/12 at 17:12:16

Extra pepper?..  I love pepper... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 11/29/12 at 17:42:47

arteacher wrote on 11/29/12 at 16:09:08:
I am now on a salt restricted diet (2 grams a day). Problem is I love salty foods. My favorite snack is olives. I bought a salt substitute, but It (potassium) inter fears with one of the drugs I'm on. Mrs Dash is only good on some things. Anybody have any suggestions on a substitute?

1.  It is just a suggestion that you reduce the salt.
2.  After a while you won't like the taste of too much salt.
3.  A level teaspoon of salt is about 2400 mg -- if the meal is shared with 4 people you only get 600 mg.

90% of the salt you eat is in canned stuff, which means you gotta use the fresh stuff instead.  Hunt's diced tomato has one with "no salt".   You have to, check the lable.  I used to like Dinty Moore Beef Stew -- but a can is a day's limit of salt.  Same amount of Beef Stew made home is about 1/10th of the salt.  And taste better!

In Stroganoff the Campbell condensed tomato soup has less salt than Ralph's "reduced salt".  Even with a 1/4 tsp of salt for flouring the meat, the total under 2 grams -- under 700 mg per person.  Which means you can more on your snacks and lunch.

If you are bad one day, you can be good the next day -- it all averages in.  Ratatquille is made with zero salt.  

I am about to make Beef Stuffed Peppers -- about a 1/2 tsp of salt, 100 or more for the sauces, 70 mg from the can of tomato, total of about 1,500 mg to be divided to three.

(On the other hand, when I am having Kielbasa, Oy Vey!!  2,000 mg for just one link!  Not to mention the saurkraut.  I rinse some of the brine, but it is horrid with none.)

Bottom Line:
A salt subsitute is not enough, and is not needed.  You have to change what you eat.  Just getting rid of the cans will just about do the job.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 11/29/12 at 18:04:25

I read that somewhere,too...  It said,.. the amount you sprinkle on dinner is nothing... the majority of dietary salt is in canned goods, and salty snacks... especially canned soups...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 11/29/12 at 18:09:20

garlic powder tastes good on alot of stuff

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 11/29/12 at 18:17:22

Yes the canned food is the worst ... and of course so is chips and pretzels and what not.

Here is a weird one - I find V8 too salty. I get low sodium v8. However my wife and son dont think it is and they cant stand low sodium v8. My wife's south indian food tastes like it sometimes lacks salt to me ... however the wife and kiddo eat it up. What's up with that.

I am inclined to think salt and sugar in some entrees is an acquired taste. I used to drink coffee that was sweet as syrup for years, 8-10 ... started coffee in 1999 I think. So suddenly couple years ago on a long drive I decided to drink black coffee so I wont sugar crash, I can drink it so slow, 1 20oz will last 4 hours and I will get home by then ... and ever since then, I need to taste the coffee in my coffee ... I cut down on the sugar by about 1/2.

I have been a life long tea drinker or atleast regularly since 1987. I can not cut down the amount of sugar in my tea with a gun to my head. In fact all the proportions are so exact in my tea, I cant change anything ... If I ever get diabetic, I will stop tea altogether and drink black coffee.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #8 - 11/29/12 at 19:41:17

Experiment.  Lemon juice, Tabasco, unsalted seeds and nuts, and spices such as sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, anise, ext. can add new dimensions to your food.  You can also try things like balsamic vinegar and cooking wines.  Just google low sodium recipes, and you'll pleasantly surprised. Wink

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 11/30/12 at 00:41:04

when i lived in orlando i used to fish at port canarvel when the blue fish were in..
morton salt had a pier there     theyd pile it up on the dock like it was sand

ask your doc about sea salt or kosher salt they dont have the additives like table salt
steak w/o salt  Angry

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/30/12 at 00:44:13

Ive heard of salt restricted diets, but I never knew why,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 11/30/12 at 04:38:29

I have congestive heart failure. The heart becomes weak and fluids build up around it and your lungs, and your feet.(They have taken 7 liters of extra water out of me). They put you on a diuretic to make you pee and get rid of the excess water in your body. Salt causes you to retain water. Also salt is bad for people with high blood pressure.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #12 - 11/30/12 at 05:58:09

I went through all that (finding food without a lot of salt) and it's no fun. I am diabetic and have to watch my blood pressure (borderline hypertension). a lot of food with reduced or no sugar added has even more salt  than regular food. Frozen vegetables are better than canned, better taste and less of the bad stuff.

Ask your Dr about sea salt. My dad switched to it and it helped him.

I control my diabetes with my diet and try to watch my salt intake.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 11/30/12 at 06:13:37

OK, here's my personal experience.

Common sea salt, which is the most common type of salt, is in nature a 50% mix of sodium chloride and potassium chloride.
Sea water tastes bitter-salty because of the potassium; take that away and it'll taste like watered down fish stock...
Huh
What I'm tying to say is, common table salt is plain old sea salt with that 50% potassium chloride taken away, it's pure sodium.

Rock salt may be "fossil sea salt", or other kinds of salt (as the one they dig up in the Sahara and whisk away in 100lb. "bars") and other metals will be present.
It is not safe to eat in its natural form but it never reaches the table that way so don't worry.

ANY table salt is processed, in more ways than one: the potassium is taken away from the sea salt, iron, copper, zinc, magnesium  are taken away from rock salt, etc.
Furthermore, table salt has an additive which will make salt more resistant to domestic moisture; I remember Morton's Salt commerical, with a girl in the rain "It pours when it pours"  Cool

If you have to avoid salt, the obvious remedy is to "walk around" the problem.

Do NOT dress your salads with bluecheese or 1000Island (superfat anyway) use olive oil and wine vinegar instead; to make your salad tastier, add thin slices of peeled apple and carrots.

Do NOT salt your steak while cooking, use a bit of mustard on the side as you eat OR salt it very gently only when it's on your plate.

You'll be surprised how little salt you need when you season your steak away from the grill/BBQ !

Enjoy Tomatoes with your meat, instead of potatoes.

The truth is, our body is actually quite comfortable with the salt available in the foods we eat, without the need to add any.
Adding salt was, "in the days way back when", to show how rich you were; pepper had a similar status.

FISH can be broiled salt-free, especially the marine species.

Chicken is a bit of a pig to eat without salt...
Huh
Roll Eyes
Cheesy
S'looong !

PS A nice glass of red wine will wash away all excess salt in no time  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 11/30/12 at 06:16:30

12Bravo wrote on 11/30/12 at 05:58:09:
I went through all that (finding food without a lot of salt) and it's no fun. I am diabetic and have to watch my blood pressure (borderline hypertension). a lot of food with reduced or no sugar added has even more salt  than regular food. Frozen vegetables are better than canned, better taste and less of the bad stuff.

Ask your Dr about sea salt. My dad switched to it and it helped him.

I control my diabetes with my diet and try to watch my salt intake.

I am a salt connoisseur. I have salts from all around the Mediterranean.
My favorite was one from a beach where it has been "walked on by the feet of beautiful nubile young women".- actually said that on the jar. Grin
And yeah I'm diabetic too and it took me a while to find stuff with no or small amounts of sugar. Now I have to go through all that again.
For a while now it has been an idea of mine to open a store which sold products for diabetics and hypertensive people, so they wouldn't have to comb the grocery store shelves to find the stuff.

As an aside, there is a local store that sells all kinds of weird stuff, including an assortment of "joke" hot sauces, Like "Flaming A$$hole Rastafarian" and "ONE F*%#ING DROP AT A TIME!" (the hottest sauce I have ever come across, and it comes with an eye-dropper in the lid,) and hotly spiced peanuts called "Mikes Burning Nuts" Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:19:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Salt substitute?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.