Salt substitute? (Read 234 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Salt substitute?
Reply #15 - 11/30/12 at 07:00:12

"Do NOT dress your salads with bluecheese or 1000Island (superfat anyway) use olive oil and wine vinegar instead; to make your salad tastier, add thin slices of peeled apple and carrots."
I make a dressing with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, prepared mustard, dehydrated onion and garlic, oregano, basil, a pinch of salt, a bit of sugar, and water. It is very good. If I want a lighter flavour I will use red wine vinegar instead.
An aside: My Italian grandfather taught me to make wine. (he used to make 250 gal a year). The first time I tried I harvested the grapes myself, brought them home, and went out to get the sugar. While I was out my wife thought she would do me a favour and washed the grapes, thereby removing all the natural yeast. I didn't know this and made 5 gal of red wine vinegar. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #16 - 11/30/12 at 09:09:10

I stopped using salt per say years ago. I was such a salt- a -holic  so bad that
I used to salt food before I even tasted it.
One day I decided to stop using salt and have never regretted it. I figured with the sodium in foods that I didn't need to add more.
I am not a fan or processed foods, nor canned soups. I always found
them too salty.
Mrs. Dash has a variety of spices that have no salt in them.
Garlic is great as well as a variety of mustards.
Once you experiment and find you can enhance your food with other
things besides salt, your going to wonder why you didn't stop the salt
years ago.
Good luck and keep us posted on how well you do.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #17 - 11/30/12 at 11:00:51

My mom just never was a big salt cook, I figure being brought up in the depression or some such.. so I never had a thing for salt.  Somehow, it seems the world got saltier, while my taste stayed the same. now I avoid salt cause its TOO salty. I never go to a food trough ( Ryans) as the food is so salty it burns my lips. Steaks at a steak house... egads they ruin them! Salt on seafood.... really its SEA FOOD comes from salt water... ack
Hidden salt: soft drinks and "-ade" drinks.. tons of salt!

Now I crave "plain" food PB&J samich, grits and eggs, bowl of rice crispies and mostly I am good.  

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #18 - 12/12/12 at 07:29:49

arteacher,
How about an update? Find anything really good without the salt load?

Merry Christmas

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 12/12/12 at 08:11:53

wow, that's a lot of salt.   Grin

Jeepers!.. Huh....-Serow

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #20 - 12/12/12 at 12:24:25

Blinky-FSO wrote on 12/12/12 at 07:29:49:
arteacher,
How about an update? Find anything really good without the salt load?

Merry Christmas
http://p1.bikepics.com/2012%5C12%5C12%5Cbikepics-2489581-200.jpg

Not doing so well, but I have reduced my salt intake by half of what it was, I think. A food chain up here (Loblaws) has there own line of popular foods called "Presidents choice". They also have a much smaller line called "blue menu" which is healthier, and usually cheaper, than their regular stuff. For example they have a couple of soups with 140 mg of salt instead of 500-900 mg in regular soups, lower sugar and fat stuff too.
FYI One of the worlds largest producers of salt (Sifto) is in Goderich Ontario, about a two hour drive from me.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 12/14/12 at 09:54:26

arteacher wrote on 11/30/12 at 07:00:12:
"Do NOT dress your salads with bluecheese or 1000Island (superfat anyway) use olive oil and wine vinegar instead; to make your salad tastier, add thin slices of peeled apple and carrots."
I make a dressing with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, prepared mustard, dehydrated onion and garlic, oregano, basil, a pinch of salt, a bit of sugar, and water. It is very good. If I want a lighter flavour I will use red wine vinegar instead.
An aside: My Italian grandfather taught me to make wine. (he used to make 250 gal a year). The first time I tried I harvested the grapes myself, brought them home, and went out to get the sugar. While I was out my wife thought she would do me a favour and washed the grapes, thereby removing all the natural yeast. I didn't know this and made 5 gal of red wine vinegar. Grin

Art, why do you need sugar in a salad dressing ?  Huh

And water ? with all the vinegar already 95% water ???  Lips Sealed

Stick to the ingredients you list, avoid the sugar and water, try it.  Wink

As for soups, I make my own.

Vegetable soup? Potatoes, carrots, spinach, brussels sprouts, string beans, ordinary beans, peas, chick peas, lentils... you name it, you can use it !
nd, you can avoid the salt, simply add spices and herbs and a handful of rice in the end, boil for the last 10 minutes, ready to serve!

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #22 - 12/15/12 at 08:47:53

I do hope your having some success "shaking the salt."
It isn't easy to break old habits, yet you can do it.
Also limiting your sugar intake will help as well.
You will begin to feel better before you know it.
If your unable to stop all at once, try cutting back on
the useage. Before you realize it, you won't be reaching
for the salt.
Also if you keep a salt shaker on the table, try removing and
keep the pepper along with other spices.
Best of luck and if I can be of any more help, let me know.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #23 - 12/17/12 at 14:07:45

Artteacher, there are forums all over the place for about anything you can think of. Check out a few and settle on one you like. They will likely have recipes for people in your predicament. Also, places like Mayo Clinic and other medical giants have good resources on ways to help fluid retention. While we can offer some help, you are going to have to see what works for you. Any disability or chronic condition requires you to be proactive. And be sure to offer feedback to your Dr of any changes good or bad. Good luck.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:19:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Salt substitute?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.