Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
silly idea? (Read 134 times)
strang

london
silly idea?
11/29/12 at 12:43:12

Have just put some heated grips/symtec pads underneath new rubber grips:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150512234484?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984...
Am gonna wire them up this weekend and had an idea of drilling a hole in each switch housing (left and right) and running the wire for the heated grips into the housing and connecting to a hot wire inside. Is this feasible or will I just end up with a stupid looking hole in my switches to forevermore remind me of my .. ahem.. idea? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: silly idea?
Reply #1 - 11/29/12 at 12:50:22

Where will you put the on/ off switch?...

Also,.. and this is just general curiosity,.. how do you allow for the throttle twist?... do the instructions say to leave a big loop of wire or something?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #2 - 11/29/12 at 14:20:27

On/Off switch goes in a little housing that comes with the kit - basically a tab that mounts to a mirror bolt or what have you.
Yeh throttle is an issue so thought of putting a hole from the other side.
Actually more I think of it the more I'm glad I got a chance to bounce it off you Serow - something about typing out an idea for someone to read that makes you realise maybe it aint such a good one Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/29/12 at 14:24:45

I don't know for sure how they work under the throttle grip....but I know they do.  I have a friend with heated grips on his trials bike, and a lady at our gym has heated grips and seats on their Goldwing.  I believe you let the wire dangle out between the grip and throttle housing and give it some play to move around when you twist the grip.

I would almost think that heated gloves would be better.....as the heat would be more distributed on the backside of your fingers.  And a heated garage with a heated recliner would be even more better! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 11/29/12 at 14:38:42

I bought a pair of those grip heater plates,.. and sewed one onto the end of a scarf... it makes a little warm spot under my jacket, like a hot water bottle,(only less sloshy... and I don't have to bring it home cold)...
Smiley...

I have a buddy that rode to work all last winter with the heated grips... He said he couldn't have done it without them...
I didn't pay a lot of attention to the instal though...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 11/29/12 at 19:10:25

Dave wrote on 11/29/12 at 14:24:45:
I would almost think that heated gloves would be better.....as the heat would be more distributed on the backside of your fingers.  And a heated garage with a heated recliner would be even more better! Grin

I've had both grips & gloves.   The grips are OK up to a point, but I prefer the gloves in really cold weather for the reasons Dave has stated.   It also depends on how well protected your hands are from the wind stream.  If you've a got a big "bat wing" type windshield with hand protection it makes a big difference, because it's really the air moving over your hands that removes body heat.   In extra cold weather I wear skin diver gloves (neoprene) under my leather gloves.   The neoprene is a good insulator, and keeps things tolerable in cold rain.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #6 - 11/29/12 at 19:32:31

I have heated grips on my V-Star and the only thing I don't like is that they are too big a diameter compared to the originals especially when wearing insulated gloves.  And the on-off-adj switch is not at all good looking where the previous owner glued it to the back of the headlight just enough offset from center to look like he badly screwed up the placement.  (I know. That's two things I don't like.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:24:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › silly idea?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.