Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stalling at idle in cold weather until warmed up (Read 345 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Stalling at idle in cold weather until warmed
Reply #15 - 11/29/12 at 15:26:40

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/29/12 at 13:51:48:
I took it to a shop, where they went up a size on the pilot jet to try to eliminate backfiring on decel. Also checked the TEV and floats. Can't tell if this had an effect on stalling because I hadn't ridden it on cold days before the mod.

Does your bike stall on idle at under 40F??

My carb is for an '88, so it's jetted rich to begin with.
I put it on the 1st knotch to idle up to warm.  
After putting helm and gloves on, and a minute of riding, it's idling too fast so I push it in.  
This is typical for all but the warmest months.

a/f meter says 10/11 at warm idle, rich enough

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #16 - 11/29/12 at 15:35:39

Welcome to the world of non-electronically controlled engines. Cold engines idle slower because the oil is thicker, causing more drag. The fuel mix is off because cold gasoline doesn't evaporate as readily as warm gas (hence the rich mixture caused by the choke or enrichener). In air cooled engines such as found on motorcycles, the engine will never get as warm because the cold ambient air removes more heat and there is no thermostatic control. The flame temperature will be lower, because the intake air is colder. The list goes on.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #17 - 11/29/12 at 18:10:49

Isn't the stock pilot jet 52.5? And the next size up 55?

Can going up just one size be enough to make things too rich to idle when cold, with the choke on?

- David
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #18 - 11/29/12 at 18:13:49

Quote:
a/f meter says 10/11 at warm idle, rich enough

What's an a/f meter?

- David
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #19 - 11/30/12 at 11:24:24

Charon wrote on 11/29/12 at 15:35:39:
Welcome to the world of non-electronically controlled engines. Cold engines idle slower because the oil is thicker, causing more drag. The fuel mix is off because cold gasoline doesn't evaporate as readily as warm gas (hence the rich mixture caused by the choke or enrichener). In air cooled engines such as found on motorcycles, the engine will never get as warm because the cold ambient air removes more heat and there is no thermostatic control. The flame temperature will be lower, because the intake air is colder. The list goes on.

I see you have exactly the same bike I have, even down to the color. How do you have its carburetor tuned? Does it backfire frequently or stall when cold (in cold weather)? I can accept whatever the norms are for this bike, but at this point I don't quite know what they are or if mine deviates from them.
-David

- David
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 11/30/12 at 11:54:05

They're all the exact same bike - since 1986. If you've done anything to the bike, it may run a bit different.
Conversely - if you haven't done anything to the bike it may run a bit different.

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #21 - 11/30/12 at 13:19:59

For a point of comparison, I rode to work today, and back.  There is snow on the ground.  It's pretty darn cold.  I idle the bike with the choke halfway while I put on helmet and gloves, push in the choke, and I'm out.  No stalling whatsoever, except some minor bogging for the first block.

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #22 - 11/30/12 at 15:05:43

Badass94Cad wrote on 11/30/12 at 13:19:59:
For a point of comparison, I rode to work today, and back.  There is snow on the ground.  It's pretty darn cold.  I idle the bike with the choke halfway while I put on helmet and gloves, push in the choke, and I'm out.  No stalling whatsoever, except some minor bogging for the first block.

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. Is your bike stock? Does it backfire? Have you done any carburetor tuning/mods?

- David
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #23 - 11/30/12 at 17:04:19

Yeah I ride daily too, so far the coldest was 26 this fall/winter. I choke on first click, but  I don't push it back n till I'm rolling....
The reason I do that is for a more even start, until I can test the road surface. The cold bucking only adds another element I don't want or need until I'm settled about the road condition in my mind.
I ride in snow, but not ice....there is a difference. Snow is sorta fun, especially in the dark (we have very few street lights) the flakes seem like I'm flying through stars from star wars as my headlight shines on them  Cheesy

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #24 - 11/30/12 at 17:15:11

What's the traction like on snow-covered roads? I've only very occasionally ridden in winter, and then many years ago, mostly on the highway. This is my first year back riding after 33 years not riding, but I'm interested in trying it this winter. Any safety tips?

- David
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #25 - 11/30/12 at 19:18:38

raydawg wrote on 11/30/12 at 17:04:19:
I ride in snow, but not ice....there is a difference. Snow is sorta fun, especially in the dark (we have very few street lights) the flakes seem like I'm flying through stars from star wars as my headlight shines on them  Cheesy

Snow is really fun when it's just warm enough that it's not sticking to the ground. Wink  I dig warp 9! Cool

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #26 - 11/30/12 at 19:35:45

I ride through the winter, and I've had similar problems.  Mine is also an '07, and last winter and this winter I've had to set the Idle speed (not mixture) up toward the high side to keep it idling cold.  Under 50 degrees, one click out on the choke.  Under 35 two clicks out to start, and then after a minute, back in one click.  FYI...last winter my bike was bone stock, this winter I have a drilled muffler and air fuel screw set a little farther out to compensate.  I've also noticed that atmospheric pressure and humidity effect the way it runs more in the winter.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #27 - 11/30/12 at 20:08:33

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/30/12 at 17:15:11:
What's the traction like on snow-covered roads? I've only very occasionally ridden in winter, and then many years ago, mostly on the highway. This is my first year back riding after 33 years not riding, but I'm interested in trying it this winter. Any safety tips?

Well I wouldn't recommend it for long rides, or busy roadways. You need to really be careful, don't over-steer, brake hard, or accelerate quickly.....You must stay focused at all times. I won't ride if we have snow on the ground, I'll take my 4X, but I have been already at work when freak, or wrong forecasting snow caught me there. I only have a 13 mile ride, no freeways, interstates, etc, to navigate, just people and a ferry, so its not too bad, heavy rain with gusting high winds is more a challenge I feel....
Enjoy your time back, just ease into at your own pace, confidence is an asset, cockiness and over-confidence a liability....  that can prove costly.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #28 - 11/30/12 at 20:13:09

SALB wrote on 11/30/12 at 19:35:45:
I ride through the winter, and I've had similar problems.  Mine is also an '07, and last winter and this winter I've had to set the Idle speed (not mixture) up toward the high side to keep it idling cold.  Under 50 degrees, one click out on the choke.  Under 35 two clicks out to start, and then after a minute, back in one click.  FYI...last winter my bike was bone stock, this winter I have a drilled muffler and air fuel screw set a little farther out to compensate.  I've also noticed that atmospheric pressure and humidity effect the way it runs more in the winter.  Hope this helps.

How did you drill the muffler and what effect, besides making it louder, did it have?

- David
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #29 - 11/30/12 at 20:54:58

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/30/12 at 20:13:09:
SALB wrote on 11/30/12 at 19:35:45:

How did you drill the muffler and what effect, besides making it louder, did it have?

With the problems you've been having, wait until spring.  By then you can research the subject here on the sight and it will be warm enough to properly tune.  I personally couldn't tell any difference in power, but yes the tone definitely changed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:31:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling at idle in cold weather until warmed up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.