Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
I was once stuck on the highway! (Read 1508 times)
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: I'm stuck on the f'ing highway.  Reply quick p
Reply #15 - 11/28/12 at 12:08:48

Ok, I got a volt meter, when I put neg to neg and pos to pos, what numbers should I look for and what thing should I have this dial pointed to??

image_020.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: I'm stuck on the f'ing highway.  Reply quick p
Reply #16 - 11/28/12 at 12:16:46

rquarantello4232 wrote on 11/28/12 at 12:08:48:
Ok, I got a volt meter, when I put neg to neg and pos to pos, what numbers should I look for and what thing should I have this dial pointed to??

Battery check - DC V - 20.
Cool.
srinath.

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Re: I'm stuck on the highway.  Reply quick plz
Reply #17 - 11/28/12 at 12:18:49

Use the dc side at 20 volt setting and you should get around 12 volt reading. youzguys knows more than I do, listen to him. I just learned a few things myself by reading his answer.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 11/28/12 at 12:23:12

Copied from a post by Old Feller:

Put your volt-ohm meter into 20 volt range DC setting.

Stick the proper leads on the proper terminals on the battery (you can get into do this just by taking the seat off, the square cut outs are big enough).

Note the resting voltage of the battery as it sits before being started.  Write it down.  12.0 to 12.6 is a common resting range.

Crank the bike and get it to a good fast idle (at or over 1,000 rpm) check the battery voltage again with the engine running.

If resting voltage is over 12 volts and the running voltage is just over 13 volts you have a charging system that is working, but the regulator rectifier is getting marginal and old.   This bike may have issues with the battery not getting charged enough with short trips.

Running voltage at 13.5 to 14.5 is pretty sweet, your regulator rectifier isn't getting old and tired yet.  Your bike should recharge itself on short trips.

Over 15 volts, regulator rectifier is sick and is over charging your battery.

Stators rarely ever go bad, regulator rectifiers crap out much more often.  This test isn't hard to do and a Stealership will charge you $65 to $100 to perform it since you were silly enough to carry it to them to do it for you.  

They like your money in their wallet .....  that's why we call them Stealerships.

They can test your stator separately, both for resistance and for output voltage -- but get this ....

If the battery voltage on a running bike is in the right range, the stator and the regulator rectifier must be operating correctly for it to be there.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #19 - 11/28/12 at 12:31:32

and a post from Routy:

First, you need a good battery. If the battery voltage is dropping below 10.5 volts while cranking, it is getting a very weak spark, and would rather not start. If it cranks (spins) good, it should start good.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 11/28/12 at 12:33:29

The bike dies while in 5th that's the confusing part

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #21 - 11/28/12 at 12:40:04

rquarantello4232 wrote on 11/28/12 at 12:33:29:
The bike dies while in 5th that's the confusing part

I really doubt that has much to do with it.. but leave it in 4th until you get it home!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 11/28/12 at 12:49:38

Fast idel is 13.35.  Resting is 12.3.  And I adjusted the idol a little cause it died like it was idling too low.  It runs fine now but I'm nervous to drive it back cause if it does it again then ill really be stranded  lol

IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/28/12 at 13:56:31

Got it started again, made it halfway down the road and was in second, pulled in clutch and released throttle because of the red light and it died.   I'm so confused.  I can't risk riding it home and having it do that again at 75 so ill leave it in a parking lot for the night.   Any other ideas to try while I'm waiting for the taxi??

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #24 - 11/28/12 at 14:16:58

can you try bumping your idle up a bit?  mine will die if the idle is set too low and i squeeze the clutch to change gear, etc.  pretty much anytime i let off the throttle.

IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 11/28/12 at 14:26:00

I did that which seems to help but then once it dies it doesn't start for another 15 min or so.  Is that still the idol ??

IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 11/28/12 at 14:40:14

The engine runs but after a min or two it just dies.  I have the fuel filter off as well

IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 11/28/12 at 15:18:22

I got it started, ride it down the street, get it up to 2nd gear,  have to slow down for the red ligh so I hold in cluth and Let go of the gas and it dies.  Then it's extremely difficult to start up again.  It's prolly something small that can be adjusted but idk.  Leaving it in a parking lot for the night

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #28 - 11/28/12 at 15:27:20

I've had something similar happen. It was the connection under the seat. Basically what was happening was that the bike was running off the battery and the charge circuit was barely touching/touching intermittently. It would start up and run for a couple blocks and then die as soon as I threw on a signal light or let the throttle drop. Check those connections under your seat.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #29 - 11/28/12 at 16:30:43

You really need to get your story straight. It sounds like a fuel delivery problem, not electrical.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:00:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I was once stuck on the highway!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.