Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
oldfeller- Intel kills the PC (Read 168 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: oldfeller- Intel kills the PC
Reply #15 - 11/29/12 at 12:34:01

Cavi Mike wrote on 11/29/12 at 01:54:58:
Yeah but can it run Crysis?

My first thought was that Far Cry 2 was the more modern & demanding game, but then I asked google and found out that "Yeah but can it run Crysis?" was an Wintel fanboy canned response to all things Linux.

Well, hate to tell you this but ....   http://www.junauza.com/2008/12/yes-linux-can-run-crysis.html

As far as a phone chip not being as good as an Intel megachip, duh, it isn't a mega chip yet (not for 2 more years anyway).

So yes, you can Rest Easy in your response ..... for a while anyway.  

Point we are making is that the world is revolving out from under you and Wintel isn't going to be relevant much longer unless they revolve with it some and at least TRY to compete (beyond just talking about it).

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-brief/66170-intel-preps-next-unit-of-computin...

BTW, I think they missed their promised October ship date .....

Intel's Next Unit of Computing shows that they understand where things are going, even if they are still grossly overpriced with their little box PC (propose price is $499).   Pricing can change, and Intel has always made a set of vanilla completely finished boxes for a lot of the minor store brand sellers so they have long experience in the whole PC manufacturing arena.

So, should Chipzilla decide to come to the market, they know how to do it, they have been doing it and they CAN do it at a reasonable price.

But will they?    

So far the answer is no.

The issue is price & volume and Intel is still able to sell their total production as laptop chips and a few desktop chips.   So, why should they change?

They have lots of money, so they can ride the desktop-as-we-know-it down into irrelevance and then supply laptop chips for everybody but APPLE.

But, Intel does like to make them huge wafers.  At low manufacturing cost.   This will have to change when they can't sell enough chips to keep their current 22 nanometer production lines busy.   And they would be foolish to move to less than 20 nanometer on their major production lines without a customer to buy the MASSIVELY greater number of smaller say 14 nanometer chips that would come off a huge 450mm wafer.

So, Intel needs some volume based business to keep them pumping out chips.  But they still shun the volume based price that is associated with the new volume based businesses.

Something has to give.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: oldfeller- Intel kills the PC
Reply #16 - 11/29/12 at 14:03:04

"Can it run Crysis" was really just a funny comment that was more meme-like than anything that everyone used to say a few years ago about any rig - because nothing ever could actually play it that well. With as much as you know about computers, I figured you would have got the joke since it's more of an inside joke. I'm an AMD fan, btw.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:40:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › oldfeller- Intel kills the PC

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.