Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Yea or nea to Seafoam.....??? (Read 442 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Yea or nea to Seafoam.....???
11/26/12 at 18:34:54

Heard a guy say he puts a nip of sea foam in every other tank of his bike in winter as it helps to stabilize the fuel from our drastic temp changes around here (condensation). I can ride to work in 40 degree sunshine, with my bike getting warmer as the sun beats down upon it when parked, only to have it chill to the 30's and cloud up within the hour.
Does it have merit?  

« Last Edit: 12/07/12 at 06:13:38 by Dave »  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Yea or nea.....???
Reply #1 - 11/26/12 at 18:58:23

Well, hell, if he put a little in every other tank all winter long... that's at least 3 tanks... some of U'z use that all year long during the riding season... so he aint worried about his gas going sour is he.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 11/26/12 at 19:23:43

raydawg wrote on 11/26/12 at 18:34:54:
Heard a guy say he puts a nip of sea foam in every other tank of his bike in winter as it helps to stabilize the fuel from our drastic temp changes around here (condensation). I can ride to work in 40 degree sunshine, with my bike getting warmer as the sun beats down upon it when parked, only to have it chill to the 30's and cloud up within the hour.
Does it have merit?  

fuggedabaddit.  Sea foam is nothing more than a strong solvent.  No more, no less.  If you think putting some solvent in your gas is helpful, have at it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 11/26/12 at 19:50:31

Gyrobob wrote on 11/26/12 at 19:23:43:
fuggedabaddit.  Sea foam is nothing more than a strong solvent.  No more, no less.  If you think putting some solvent in your gas is helpful, have at it.

Keep in mind, "solvent" means oil dispersant in one form or another.  Some solvents can be detergents, and no, I am not talking about your Mom's dish washing soap!   Industrial grade detergents will totally wash clean your cylinder walls while you drive (i.e., a tattoo shop sign:  Ears pierced, while you wait [think about it!]).   This, in your fuel, can reduce the lifetime miles of your engine.   There are times when detergents are good, and times when they are not!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 11/26/12 at 19:51:27

Ray I've been using Star Tron ethanol fuel treatment for over a year now and it seems to do the trick. It's used in my generators(sometimes sitting several months between running) my bikes and my tractors.

I work in a small engine/tractor dealership where we see over 250 units a month through the service department and have tried most everything out there. Seafoam is good for a slightly dirty fuel system but will have no effect as a stabilizer. Many other stabilizers do not deal with the ethanol and that is the root of most fuel problems.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Kilgore Trout
YaBB Newbies

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 11/26/12 at 20:39:12

I don't want to set off the great fuel stabilizer war of 2012, but is there anything wrong with sta-bil? It's supposed to "remove" water (whatever that means).

Anyways, I hope not, because I just topped my tank off with sta-bil treated fuel for the winter. Do'h! I should have asked which product was suzukisavage.com approved before buying!  Tongue

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." -Juan Ramòn Jiménez
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 11/27/12 at 05:00:51

sta-bil is good

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/27/12 at 06:19:15

I've used Sta-Bil for decades in all types of motors come winter and never had any problems nor heard of any problems associated with the product during the seven years I worked at a auto supply store.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 11/27/12 at 07:10:48

Another vote for Sta-bil. I've used it for a long time with no issues. It's easy to find and not very expensive.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 11/27/12 at 07:38:54

A friend on the coast recommended that stuff, he said get the Marine Grade. I had some gas for over a year & the car never stumbled. Tho, it was stored Un Vented,,so it wasnt able to "exhale" its good stuff into the air & "Inhale" moisture.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 11/27/12 at 08:23:50

I never have any fuel problems, and I never use any additive of any kind.
And I used 1 1/2 yr old 50:1 gas off and on all summer in a little tiller....started 2nd pull every time.
Next spring I will (try to) fire it up on the same gas,....we'll see what happens.
But I'm the one that removed the carb bowl off my s40 for the sole purpose of seeing the Ka Ka left in the bottom after 4 yrs of e10. Problem was, it was spotless,....I still have the pics I posted.
Truth known, e10 already has the additives needed to keep the fuel system clean. Thats why we don't see any cars w/ sophfisticated F/I systems parked all along the roads everywhere.
But I'm just an amazing person,....because I'm the only one running a vac petcock that doesn't have any fuel problems ! Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 11/27/12 at 09:33:35

I guess I didnt wait long enough,, the Gakk in the bottom of my carb bowl was green & Eaux My Gawd did it stank!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 11/27/12 at 09:37:07

Routy wrote on 11/27/12 at 08:23:50:
But I'm just an amazing person,....because I'm the only one running a vac petcock that doesn't have any fuel problems ! Roll Eyes

Yet...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #13 - 11/27/12 at 09:50:51

Serowbot wrote on 11/27/12 at 09:37:07:

Yet...  Huh...

Um, I have a vac petcock, 20000+ miles and no issues.  Hell, I still have the little brass plug in.  Do I win a prize?  Cool

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 11/27/12 at 09:58:43

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 11/27/12 at 09:50:51:
Serowbot wrote on 11/27/12 at 09:37:07:

Yet...  Huh...

Um, I have a vac petcock, 20000+ miles and no issues.  Hell, I still have the little brass plug in.  Do I win a prize?  Cool

No, but you don't have to go to jail or pay a fine either.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:35:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Yea or nea to Seafoam.....???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.