Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Springer front end
Reply #15 - 12/13/12 at 14:13:58

Modern HD springers are a farce. Traditional ones had grease fittings, modern ones do not. Traditional ones, hit the zerk once a month with some decent grease, modern ones tear down and replace the bushings every 5-10K miles. Traditional ones you run a nice big drum brake, modern runs run a nice big disc brake. And there are replicas with grease fittings and disc brake (or twin disc brake if you so desire).

Springers are kinda like 32 Ford coupes, too common. Go for an early Chief springer from Kiwi Motorcycles or Paughco...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #16 - 12/13/12 at 15:26:14

The leaf spring front ends always look so bulky to be.  Definitely out of place on a Savage.  They'd be better suited for a vintage style big twin.

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 12/13/12 at 15:38:57

They worked great on my 1936 and 1938 Indian Chiefs (pre-date the valanced fender by a few years) and both 1928 Scouts. Neither of which are much bigger than a Savage overall. The big trick is finding real fenders that look right on a Savage, the stock ones leave a lot to be desired, hence, a full Shovelhead FLH steel rear on mine. Still looking for a decent front fender (hate FLH fronts).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 12/13/12 at 19:37:41

Those leaf-springers are more popular than coil-springers - they just not as abundant - but they soon will be.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 12/13/12 at 22:35:28

They ride better once you figure out the handling quirks. Very stiff front suspension.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #20 - 12/22/12 at 07:39:06

I just talked to a couple VERY trusted people in the bike business and was told DNA was sold to another company for a few years.And that's when they went to crap.There are still alot of them floating around,used.They've been sold again and the products are alot better.I was also told they are good for lighter bikes,up to Sporties,just most guys won't run them on big twins.But I also would think if they were that unsafe guys like Chandler originals and a few others wouldn't be putting them on production bikes they are building.

Granted they don't handle as good.That's why everybody has gone to hydralic frontends.And for me I like the looks of them and girders.And I don't baby my bikes.it's a little different getting used to them.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:14:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Springer front end

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!