paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: Twin Air Filters
Reply #15 - 11/25/12 at 21:59:26

verslagen1 wrote on 11/25/12 at 20:03:23:
we've long established that the air before the carb should strait for a distance.  This distance is best described as the length of that rubber duct.  This is eliminate the turbulence in the air flow.  There are other methods.  But many people put on a pod filter and are disappointed.

So if I took Justins advice and made it more stream line by using 2 90s cut and joined, would that create less turbulence?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 11/26/12 at 07:18:04

paulmarshall wrote on 11/25/12 at 21:59:26:
we've long established that the air before the carb should strait for a distance.  This distance is best described as the length of that rubber duct.  This is eliminate the turbulence in the air flow.  There are other methods.  But many people put on a pod filter and are disappointed.

So if I took Justins advice and made it more stream line by using 2 90s cut and joined, would that create less turbulence?

The advice is for straight, smooth ducting that's well blended with the carb inlet. Pod filters mounted on the carb inlet have zero, and are usually poo poo'd by those trying to get a perfect tune.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 11/26/12 at 07:38:35

Im not talkin about just Any Ol 90* bits,, but the Drain Waste & Vent type, with the long sweeping bends,

One part of engine tuning people dont study is intake design, I spent some time reading up on that. One recommendation that stood out to me was that its easier for an engine to get a gulp of fresh air in IF there is more volume between the filter & carb inlet. I modified the airbox to create a few more CC's in that area & left it. The more surface area the filter has, the easier it is for it to get air & the longer time between need to clean & in the box, its protected from some dirt & of course rain & stuff..

I wonder how many people who have taken fenders off & air boxes off would be working to add them if bikes all came from the factory w/o them,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #18 - 11/26/12 at 08:17:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/26/12 at 07:38:35:
Im not talkin about just Any Ol 90* bits,, but the Drain Waste & Vent type, with the long sweeping bends...

I believe these are the type of elbows justin was trying to reference...
90-Degree PVC Sewer Drain Street Elbow

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 11/26/12 at 08:22:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/26/12 at 07:38:35:
Im not talkin about just Any Ol 90* bits,, but the Drain Waste & Vent type, with the long sweeping bends,

Because such a design should be symetrical, the point at which the 2 are no longer separated, might be considered straight.  The stock rubber ducky is about 2 diameter long and tapers as well.  Good, sharp sectioning and joining of the 2 sweeping bends may provide the required length to straiten the air flow.

Diamond Jim did some great work with intake experiments.

EJID, there are some sweeping elbows that have a bigger bend radius.  Typically used where things tend to get caught in the bend, especially during the half time of the super bowl.  Those aren't much bigger than standard.

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #20 - 11/26/12 at 08:30:22

Yep, the air volume and duct shape are important.   If you think about it, the air space before the carb is kinda like a capacitor in electronics.  When the intake stroke begins it gets stretched, but after the valve closes, it compresses, due to the velocity achieved.   I have seen a computer proggie that allows you to experiment with various shapes, and see (visually) the resulting pressure moments within the chamber.   Of course, RPM is also a factor in the equation as there is no single design that works across the entire band.  In performance terms, you'd want to target a design that peaked where your cam, head flow, and exhaust all come together.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 11/26/12 at 09:26:10

Stuff like these parts,, sure enough some time around a plumbing supply would be a trip on the bike & a chance to add some visual snapshots into the brain, things to consider, ideas,

Heck, with some careful slicin & dicin you mite even be able to get 3 pods on it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #22 - 11/26/12 at 09:45:13

Yes I see your point. I am going to abandon the straight T and get the 2 sweeping Ts. cut them and join them. My issue is I am trying to do this with the old air box still installed. My reason for this is I have a bunch of wires that are currently in and on top of air box restricting airflow due to the custom guard and single seat. If I got a little more creative I could remove the old box run a length of pipe over the batt box, put a 90 down and T it with both filters sitting where the side cover were. But I like the look of the side covers.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 11/26/12 at 10:46:00

I like the covers, too,, But,, determined people can find a way to put them up there w/o everything in between them thats there right now,, well,, maybe,, worth a look.,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 11/26/12 at 12:00:16

2 of these cut thru the middle of one flange and glued together might work great.  But I think you may run outta room.

WWW   IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 11/26/12 at 15:04:05

I put a Ryca Scrambler style elbow on my Savage and did some time on the dyno. Without a filter there is a huge amount of turbulence, witnessed by a record of the slide jumping up and down. With a filter it settles down, but there is an approximate loss of 5 horsepower. A big percentage on a 35 hp engine. Ryca tells me they have had no problems with their set up and used the bike on 100 mile trip where it did "just fine."      

paulmarshall wrote on 11/25/12 at 20:57:55:

I noticed Savage_rob fitted a pod straight onto the carb without that straight. Did it work for him?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #26 - 11/26/12 at 17:05:13

I have abandoned the T setup for now and fitted the pod straight onto the carb. And took it out for a ride. It  has a definit improvement. It runs FREAKEN SWEET Grin.
I owned a Honda CBR1000 a 90s model, Red ,white and blue full faring. And the pull I experience today remined me of my old Honda.
I have a custom header with a diameter of about 1.800" and a custom made free flowing muffler. This exhaust is not production made, It was made to my specifications. Replaced both jets with a 55 and 155, And replaced the washer on the plunger with 3 smaller ones which make about half to three quarters of the original. Put on the pod and turned the air fuel screw 2 and a half turns. Turned the key and she fired up.
Cheesy
« Last Edit: 11/26/12 at 18:17:43 by paulmarshall »  

002_010.jpg
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 11/26/12 at 20:13:02

Still aesthetically pleasing Paul. It would have been interesting to know whether your knees would have cramped or interfered with the twin set up.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #28 - 11/26/12 at 20:51:30

I have put the twin filters on hold not completely abandoned as earlier mentioned. Im considering my options.
I do agree with Verslagen and think the running could be alot smoother with a straight before the carb, It feels very raw. I may have too remove my air box to achieve my goal.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #29 - 11/30/12 at 21:08:17

I scrubed the first design due to the T having sharp corners, and now because I have removed the Battery box I have more room to move. I was going to cut 2 90s and join them but decided to use this. I have been told that a smooth flow is important and this T only has one flowing side because this T is designed for the flow of water. I thought that if I needed to I would seal the sharp side but put 2 filters on for
aesthetics. As it turned out I left both sides open.

001_016.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:23:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Twin Air Filters

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.