The perfect oil (Read 258 times)
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
The perfect oil
11/25/12 at 18:56:14

The list's recommended oils are located here in the Tech Section.

Recommended oils listing:    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

=============================   what follows is a newperson's best oil he can buy locally in his country.

I thought the subject title would grab peoples attention. I have been following past posts and some members are very passionate about this subject. I have heard that Rotella is a diesel oil sutable for motorcycles, Well I have a motorcycle oil suitable for diesel vehicals. So this confirms that all of you who swear on Rotella you are on to a good thing. But of course you already new that.
Hmmm I wonder which oil is better Roll Eyes Considering one is a motorcycle oil suitable for diesels and one is a diesel oil suitable for motorcycles.Not that it matters.
Have I opened a can of worms Wink
« Last Edit: 12/01/12 at 11:37:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

003_010.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The perfect oil
Reply #1 - 11/25/12 at 19:04:58

I dont care which is better, Ill stick w/ Rotella. I believe the engine service life using that oil will be sufficient to either wear the chassis ( frame, wiring harness,shocks,forks, bearings outside engine,, )out or me out before the engine pukes.
Its pretty cheap, &, it is meant to stand in the gap, between the wrist pin & rod end on a Diesel,, & thats no Lightweight task,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #2 - 11/25/12 at 19:42:17

I agree I was really looking for a bite. I know im naughty. Undecided
I just had to reword the original post. Lips Sealed

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 11/25/12 at 20:02:49

Naughty? Naaah,, start playin with international oil wars this close to Christmas & youre not naughty,, youre EEeevillll,,.,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #4 - 11/25/12 at 20:03:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/25/12 at 20:02:49:
Naughty? Naaah,, start playin with international oil wars this close to Christmas & youre not naughty,, youre EEeevillll,,.,,

Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 11/28/12 at 19:46:00

Hey, Hexnut,, is your dad a pilot?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 11/30/12 at 10:31:40

gone fishing wrote on 11/28/12 at 18:42:25:
I have used Rotella, both 15W40 and 5W40 with good results.

Right now I am using Mobil 1 racing 4T 10W40. It has 1200 ppm phosphorus and 1300 ppm zinc.

Mobil 1 V-twin 20W50 has 1600 ppm phosphorus and 1700 ppm zinc.

Where did you get those ppm numbers?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/30/12 at 10:59:53

They are old out of date numbers in the USA, but might be current in New Zealand or some other country.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 11/30/12 at 15:02:43

Let's see, do we have any VOA data that has shown up in the last year at Bobistheoilguy?

(or since the MA2 specs went into effect, in other words)

Nope, nothing new for Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50.

=========================

We got several new listings for Rotella T-6, but this does not mean the DATA is current inside the last year (and one is certainly not).

==========================

Last time we visited Mobil 1 V-Twin was the tag end of the discussions on the approved oils when Mobil 1 made the list.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347581091

At that time it tested 1,613 ppm of zinc which is in line with the old claims for the oil.   No one seems to know any current data on the oil, (which is not unusual for Mobil 1 products after a packaging change).

No one has seen an independent VOA on Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 that has been done since the MA2 standard swept away the rest of our oils, leaving only the short recommended list that we have now.

Recommended oils listing:        http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

I doubt Mobil took it below 1,200 ppm, which is the current threshold for being listed, so it is likely just fine for the Savage still (if you like thick over weight oil in your Savage that is).

So, why are you proposing an oil that is already on the approved list?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/30/12 at 16:56:44

This should sway ANYONE!  I'm on my second oil change with Rotella and after 3600 miles, have experienced ZERO oil related issues!  Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #10 - 11/30/12 at 19:06:11

tizzyfit wrote on 11/30/12 at 16:56:44:
This should sway ANYONE!  I'm on my second oil change with Rotella and after 3600 miles, have experienced ZERO oil related issues!  Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! Grin Grin Grin

I'm converted!!!
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/01/12 at 00:43:29

gone fishing wrote on 11/30/12 at 15:54:18:
I've only been here for a week and have not seen every thing on the forum. Sorry if I over stepped my bounds.

I have been turning wrenches either on motorcycles or cars for 54 years. Just trying to share some knowledge. Sorry, I guess I am starting off on the wrong foot. Sad

hexnut

For some reason, OIl IS the POlitics & REligion people suggest avoid when talking to strangers.
Couple that with your stated goal.

Just trying to share some knowledge.

& apply The Rule

No good deed shall go unpunished.

& There ya Go!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 12/01/12 at 01:15:18

I don't think you started off on the wrong foot, you just came in after the main discussions were all over & done, that's all.

You did remind me it was time to check BITOG again for updates on our recommended oils, so I did.    Didn't find much new ....

And I knew you didn't know about the past discussions, so I gave you access to them and asked why you were recommending something already on the approved list.

Actually,  I was hoping you had something new on the Mobil 1 oils as Mobile has been very quiet since they reformulated everything this past spring.

And I was serious about V-Twin being relatively too thick for the Savage engine, we have done our own list testing and data collection on the Savage engine that showed the correct synthetic x-40w oils had less temperature build up in both head and sump than the sythetic x-50w oils did.

Now, if you want to read the old oil war threads just type "oil war" or "Rotella T-6" or "Klotz" into the search engine.   That should keep busy for a while.

And it all got real moot last spring when the new MA2 spec change rolled all our favorite oil war oils into so-so car oils that no longer supported our Savage engine.

Then the push became to find ANY oil we could use or bump enough cheaply enough to fit our bill.    Bouletard did him some most excellent work both finding the good oils and finding safe ZDDP bumpers and putting together the mix page mentioned above.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/01/12 at 01:59:47

Don't think we have ever seen Klotz in New Zealand. From what I hear, it would be very expensive. We will have to live with Penrite and perhaps Shell Rimula. As peviously observed Rotella is difficult here, not impossible.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:28:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The perfect oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.