Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can ride a Savage on a learners licence (Read 328 times)
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: Can ride a Savage on a learners licence
Reply #15 - 11/24/12 at 00:57:55

Now I imagine that anybody living outside of NZ will find fault at me posting all of this, However I find it interesting that a month ago one needed a full motorcycle licence to ride most of these machines. I am interested to know of licencing laws in other countries and peoples opinion s.

« Last Edit: 11/24/12 at 10:23:43 by paulmarshall »  
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #16 - 11/24/12 at 04:27:53

PaulMarshall I think you gained 100 posts just from this thread! LOL

There are quite a few people who have started out using the LS650 as their first bike, it all comes down to the individual.  Some people are intimidated by a larger displacement and if you aren't comfortable just thinking about a 650 instead of a 250 just don't do it, frame/peace of mind is a big part of learning to ride for some people. On the opposite side if you are an impulsive over anxious person you would need to dial it back a little on the LS650 to start, as it does have enough torque to get you in trouble if you let the bike ride you instead of the other way around.

I believe there are a few states here like California that still only let beginers with a permit &/or first year of operation use bike up to 250cc. I'm sure for alot of beginers this law has saved some broken bones and road rash, but I'm not sure everyone should have to be limited to the size of bikes to start out IE: people who rode motorcross prior and such.   Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 11/24/12 at 05:17:02

Here in Oregon we can ride anything, provided we ride w/ (seperate bikes) a full licensed rider. This makes a lot more sense to me.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #18 - 11/24/12 at 07:49:12

Geez Paul,  I can probably pass the bar exam now!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 11/24/12 at 08:01:23

I got a cramp in my scroll finger.... Huh...

I had previously thought that a Savage was mild enough mannered for a learner,... but, ... I had a guy come for a test ride on one that I was selling,.. he told me he was a dirt rider years ago, and he still had his DL motorcycle validation..
He got on it in my driveway and instantly shot across the street into my neighbours brick wall...
I think 250 and under,.. or 20hp, limit wouldn't be a bad idea for the first 6 months...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #20 - 11/24/12 at 10:38:20

Serowbot wrote on 11/24/12 at 08:01:23:
I got a cramp in my scroll finger.... Huh...

I had previously thought that a Savage was mild enough mannered for a learner,... but, ... I had a guy come for a test ride on one that I was selling,.. he told me he was a dirt rider years ago, and he still had his DL motorcycle validation..
He got on it in my driveway and instantly shot across the street into my neighbours brick wall...
I think 250 and under,.. or 20hp, limit wouldn't be a bad idea for the first 6 months...

Yes I would have to agree in todays standards the Savage is mild but back in 1983 when I first got my learners licence this would have been a beast, If it existed back then. (well it still is) Cool
My first bike was a Suzuki GT250 twin 2 stroke, 1975 i think. And that was plenty big enough to learn on. I must admit the open road  speed limit was 80km back then. Sad

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #21 - 11/24/12 at 11:07:21

paulmarshall wrote on 11/24/12 at 10:38:20:
My first bike was a Suzuki GT250 twin 2 stroke, 1975 i think. And that was plenty big enough to learn on. I must admit the open road  speed limit was 80km back then. Sad

That GT250 would be scarier than the Savage because of the power band.   Those were fast little buggers with a set of chambers.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #22 - 11/24/12 at 23:29:56

Guess I should have checked, but her in the U. S. of A, Minnesota at least, we can ride pretty much anything on a learners with stipulations. Helmet, no passenger, no freeway (interstate), no night time. And you can keep renewing the permit forever. It's only a written exam. Seemed pretty lax to me where safety is concerned but it did allow me to get comfortable on a bike before I took the classes. Best money ever spent and you get your endorsement test at the end of the class.

But now I guess I'll have to go check for sure to see if there are actually displacement restrictions. Curiosity is a time consuming thing.

Jack

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #23 - 11/25/12 at 15:05:03

I think you missed one.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/22/13 at 18:48:48

Im from New Zealand and just got my learners a couple months ago, got my first ever bike which is a s40 2005 and I thought the 650 would be too much power for someone who has never riden apart from a friends 125 farm bike 20+ years ago, but its not too much power for me personally, i wish i had a couple more horses to boost past some of these crazy mo fos in cars. im 34 so not really young and dumb, but its easy to be reckless on a bike for a beginner. im stoked its 650 and not 250 because im 125kgs and would imagine id struggle to travel 70+ kilometers every day on a 250. Smiley

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #25 - 07/22/13 at 21:57:23

Paul, you must remember an open slather system existed in New Zealand from the time we first got motorcycles in 1900 or something. To the best of my recollection, the under 250cc system was introduced in the 1990's to stop fifteen year olds and people with no experience buying large and or powerful bikes and killing themselves within a few days. The flaw in the system was that any 250 could be brought, even those street legal race machines. I believe a 650 limit does apply to new riders, who could, if they wish ride most if not all  up to 650 pre 1981 vintage or classic bikes. I think the current system is much fairer.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #26 - 07/22/13 at 22:43:03

jcstokes wrote on 07/22/13 at 21:57:23:
Paul, you must remember an open slather system existed in New Zealand from the time we first got motorcycles in 1900 or something. To the best of my recollection, the under 250cc system was introduced in the 1990's to stop fifteen year olds and people with no experience buying large and or powerful bikes and killing themselves within a few days. The flaw in the system was that any 250 could be brought, even those street legal race machines. I believe a 650 limit does apply to new riders, who could, if they wish ride most if not all  up to 650 pre 1981 vintage or classic bikes. I think the current system is much fairer.

Yes you have a valid point.

IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #27 - 07/22/13 at 23:18:26

I can go for my restricted now and started out on an old xv250 when the 250 limit still applied.
It was an okay bike but darn I would have been sick of riding a 250 right up to my full. I have an 05 s40 now and I'd be lost without it, unsure if it'd technically still be legal as it is but what would the cops know.  Lips Sealed I suppose biggest issue would be insurance.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #28 - 07/23/13 at 02:07:56

Executioner you will probably be ok, provided the bike can get a NZ WOF, safety inspection to others, and of course is registered. Third party property insurance is cheap in this country, but if you are nineteen and want comprehensive insurance, look out. Hope you aren't riding without the WOF and rego stickers.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #29 - 07/23/13 at 22:52:18

Yeah insurance on the virago was very cheap premiums but a $900 excess. I was wondering if the current mods on my ls650 (which probably change the power to weight ratio) would void the insurance.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:39:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can ride a Savage on a learners licence

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.