Dale72
YaBB Newbies

Lets keep it
simple... One
cylinder at a time.

Noble, Oklahoma
Posting
11/23/12 at 20:37:58

So beside this forum Im a member on two others forums. One for Military vehicles and one for International trucks. I do enjoy them all but dont feel as "free" on this one. Let me explain!!!
Some time back I had problems with my cam chain. Before starting I asked a few questions trying to get as much info and insight as possible. In return I feel I got admonished for my "Lack" of knowledge. Or get told " you obviously dont know what your doing". In return I got told everything but the help I needed. Long story short I fixed my problem with no help or little from this forum. On the other forums folks go outta there way to help or give advice. Here I am almost afraid to even respond or post. I feel like the dumb kid in a class full of nerds. Great site lots of knowledge but I aint nobodies fool, and darn sure aint no-ones whipping boy. Angry

" The fact that you are a Sheriff is not germane to the situation" " The God darn Germans got nuttin to do wid it!"
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Posting
Reply #1 - 11/23/12 at 20:54:36

Dale72 wrote on 11/23/12 at 20:37:58:
So beside this forum Im a member on two others forums. One for Military vehicles and one for International trucks. I do enjoy them all but dont feel as "free" on this one. Let me explain!!!
Some time back I had problems with my cam chain. Before starting I asked a few questions trying to get as much info and insight as possible. In return I feel I got admonished for my "Lack" of knowledge. Or get told " you obviously dont know what your doing". In return I got told everything but the help I needed. Long story short I fixed my problem with no help or little from this forum. On the other forums folks go outta there way to help or give advice. Here I am almost afraid to even respond or post. I feel like the dumb kid in a class full of nerds. Great site lots of knowledge but I aint nobodies fool, and darn sure aint no-ones whipping boy. Angry

Dale I'm sorry it seems that way. There really are a good bunch of folks here. What you may have perceived as a brush off may really have been a move to get you to study the manual and learn some from it before you asked your questions.

You have to understand that the same questions are asked and answered on a weekly basis and all the info you need is right here in the forums if do do a quick search for it. Some of the old-timers here have answered the same question so many times they are tiring of them,therefore the push for newcomers to "look it up".

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/23/12 at 20:57:59

Congratulations on your success solving the problem, Cam Chain is a common issue, I dont remember your earlier posts or how you were treated or if I did anything to make you unhappy with your experience here, but I apologize if I did.

I cant explain why you were not treated well w/o seeing the posts, maybe there was a reason, maybe not,., but, its not ever our intention to have anyone leave unhappy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dale72
YaBB Newbies

Lets keep it
simple... One
cylinder at a time.

Noble, Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 11/23/12 at 21:06:56

Thanks for the posts. I understand the push to research a issue and can respect that. I am guessing I could have taken some of it wrong. Thanks again.

" The fact that you are a Sheriff is not germane to the situation" " The God darn Germans got nuttin to do wid it!"
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 11/23/12 at 21:23:48

There are a few of us here who've had bikes for longer than we care to remember... I'm at 25 years of street bikes and there are guys who make me look like a novice. Names withheld to protect the ancient... Roll Eyes

Most of the time things sail pretty smoothly here, but I did take a couple years off in the mid-00s due to the attitudes of a couple no longer on the forum members. Well, that and switching back to v-twins for 3 years or so... Kawasakis, I can't afford to look at a modern Harley (let alone keep one running, been there, junked that).

I've dropped a couple motorcycle boards over how the main body of the membership acts... DtT, IA, THBSC... a few other ones... okay, more than a couple.  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 11/23/12 at 21:43:25

Dale72 wrote on 11/23/12 at 21:06:56:
I am guessing I could have taken some of it wrong. Thanks again.

You certainly did...  I reviewed all your previous posts,.. and found nothing out of bounds...
You had two problems, and got good advice on both...

...And I'm the polite police...
I only ever get nasty about two things...

Insulting the forum, or it's members...
.. and people calling me stupid...
... (and, I'm getting used to the second one)... Huh...

Feel free to call anyone out,.. if you feel that they are being overly insulting... against you or anyone else... but,.. leave a little room for good natured elbowing and humour...
Most of us aren't robots...
Serow-bot... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 11/24/12 at 00:43:28

the only stupid question is the one not asked

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/24/12 at 06:57:31

thumperclone wrote on 11/24/12 at 00:43:28:
the only stupid question is the one not asked

Ive heard that said many times & seen it made wrong lots of times. There really are questions asked while evidence exists, in front of the one asking, that screams the answer,

ETA, Thanks Rowboat for digging back & looking. I dont want people thinking theyve been mistreated here, unless theyve been a jerk & earned them some "Mistreatment".. then I want them to KNOW they got a load O Buckshot.,.

Bummer ya felt like ya got spat upon Dale, maybe try again?

Row really is the polite police & he's good at it & fair about it
( I will continue to maintain that for as long as he agrees with ME!)
So,, If he says ya didnt get slapped around, Id hafta say it was just some
miscommunication,, Black & White letters dont convey the subtleties of conversation, tone & inflection & such. Its easy to get things wrong, take something like its an insult when its just goofin. Its a lot easier to do that if youve had bad experiences already,
I say Come on Back & hang out a while, give it 6 months. YOull see its a harmless lot of ol guys & a Few ( too few) ladies,

Then, once ya get all settled in & comfortable,, we'll see if we can show ya what REAL abuse looks like! Now, how could anybody refuse an offer like that? Huh? IM askin ya,, HOW?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dale72
YaBB Newbies

Lets keep it
simple... One
cylinder at a time.

Noble, Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 11/24/12 at 09:17:58

I thank ya for your input. Maybe I was over sensitive. I will be more open and observant to those trying to help. And I dont wanna be handled with kid gloves either. By trade I am a officer in a prison so I by nature have " Thick skin". Maybe I should understand I am dealing with different cultures and attitudes and myself may not recognize concern. I will post again. This is a most helpful site and the modifications I have seen are awsome!! I think what got me sideways is the way people were simply trying to get my attention and one guys opinion of me buying a new cam chain.
Not only am I new to Savage bikes I am also new to motorcycles. What started out as a "Starter bike" has turned into a passion. I now own 2 bikes but have had 4 since. Cant part with the Savage.
Again Thanks. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 11/24/12 at 19:10:25

Cant part with the Savage.

Yea,, they make a lousy comb,

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #10 - 11/25/12 at 09:14:02

Dale, many times the reason that the seasoned old timers might steer you toward a means of solving your own problem (searching & reading, etc.) is because it helps you learn more in the grander scheme.   You've heard the old story about giving a man a fish vs teaching him to fish.   The same thing applies here.

Some people just want a quick answer, but they rarely learn anything that way.  For instance, every problem has a solution, but there are also underlying reasons that caused it in the first place.  When looking up the answer and solving the problem themselves based on the information, they learn so much more.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Dale72
YaBB Newbies

Lets keep it
simple... One
cylinder at a time.

Noble, Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 11/25/12 at 18:34:15

True... To say the least I know know there are forums with tech. advise and extracts from manuals. I have started to post again. Soon maybe I will check into how to post pics and learn to navigate the site better. Im not a overly computer friendly / confident person ...may be why i was so defensive at first.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #12 - 11/25/12 at 20:03:52

Dale72 wrote on 11/25/12 at 18:34:15:
True... To say the least I know know there are forums with tech. advise and extracts from manuals. I have started to post again. Soon maybe I will check into how to post pics and learn to navigate the site better. Im not a overly computer friendly / confident person ...may be why i was so defensive at first.

Yeah Dale....a lot of us know as much about computers as we do women Shocked Grin

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 11/26/12 at 10:09:02

ZAR wrote on 11/25/12 at 20:03:52:
Dale72 wrote on 11/25/12 at 18:34:15:

Yeah Dale....a lot of us know as much about computers as we do women Shocked Grin

I have problems with the operating systems of both!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 11/26/12 at 12:33:17

Dale, nice to hear your gonna stay around.
As one of the few gals here, I can assure you
that the guys here go out of their way to help
and make sure your problems are fixed.
I have NEVER  been made to feel stupid for any questions
I have asked.
I have learned how to do my own front brakes and
change my own oil,  thanks to the information from
the forum members here.
I miss all of them when work and such keeps me away for
extended periods of time like it has the last couple of months.
It will be over shortly and I will  once again be back with my
Suzuki family. Wink
So grab a beer or soda or whatever your choice of beverage is
and enjoy being part of the family..Hugs.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:25:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Posting