Send Topic Print
Lost compression (Read 343 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Lost compression
Reply #30 - 11/25/12 at 18:20:56

If the tensioner let go before the chain broke, nothng was pressing on the chain. Others have lost the tensioner & no one has broken a chain. Im going with my hypothesis.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 11/25/12 at 18:31:25

Not a whole lot that can break that chain.

What typically happens is the tensioner lets go, the chain whips around threatening to jump a cog.  If it gets kinked and tries to go around on the sprocket that way... lights out.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #32 - 11/25/12 at 18:35:03

You read my hypothesis?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Budro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 11/25/12 at 19:48:14

All depends on the age of the chain and the circumstances. Metal does fatigue although it takes awhile. Anyway it's broke. The piston moves freely so hopefully no damage there. It appears that this is not interference type valves so hopefully no damage at that point.

The filter has shavings but the magnet didn't pick up a lot. I'll need to change the oil often for a while.

Now it's a matter of putting the chain on which I suppose requires remove the the crankshaft drive gear.

It'll be fun.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #34 - 11/25/12 at 20:01:02

Yes, the chain is busted,, next thot,, TRy to remember, did the cam lift up outta the lower bearings on the end away from the chain?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 11/25/12 at 20:55:41

Budro wrote on 11/25/12 at 19:48:14:
It appears that this is not interference type valves so hopefully no damage at that point.

It is an interference engine, but let's hope you're lucky.

Well are ya punk?

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #36 - 11/25/12 at 21:05:01

If you really did break your cam chain...  then when you pull the head cover off, LOOK AT EVERYTHING.  Make sure your valves aren't bent, check out the cam lobes, cam bearings, etc.  Broken chains can cause all kinds of havoc, and you won't know what's there until you look.

A picture is worth a thousand words and a million credit points to anybody who may be doubting your situation.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Budro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 11/26/12 at 03:40:44

I'll get some pics posted tonight.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #38 - 11/26/12 at 06:11:22

If your motor turned over more than a few revs after the chain broke, your piston and valves are history.  You probably cranked it for a while after the chain broke just trying to get it started again.

Your plan: Set up time and funding for a complete rebuild. If your bike has a lot of miles on it, (20,000? 40000?) this is probably a good idea in any event.
-- New parts.  gasket set, seals, rings, piston, valves.  
   --- The piston may only be scraped on top, so if it is dimensionally okay, and can be cleaned up nicely, good for you.  
   --- Possibly cylinder head and cylinder, con rod, and crank are damaged, but hopefully these are salvageable.  
   --- If you had ever considered hopping up the thing, now is the time to get a cam, a carb, etc.
   --- Shopping around can make a big diff in costs.
-- Find a shop that does this kind of work reliably.
   --- Locally is nice, but shipping it off to someone who really knows how to do this kind of work on this kind of cylinder is often worth the expense.
-- If you can do the machine work yourself, marvy.  Just make a thousand posts here using the tons of expertise available.
-- Your bike being a 1986 model means the rebuild will cost more than the bike is worth.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Budro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 11/26/12 at 16:22:29

Thanks and that's good advice. Luckily I have two automotive techs living in my house who are just itching to tear into this motorcycle engine and as you say hop it up. Something about making it a 700. I didn't pay much for the bike but you're right it will cost more than it's worth even with free labor. But hey it should be fun.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:24:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lost compression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.