Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas gauge options? (Read 224 times)
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Gas gauge options?
11/22/12 at 20:13:37

I was hitting some of the sites for black friday deals and came across a replacement gas cap that is also a fuel gauge.  

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/9-inch-Gauge-Gas-Cap/4465793/product.html

Any experiences or recommendations?  I am terrible at guessing my range even with using wax pens, 3 digit combo locks, etc.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Gas gauge options?
Reply #1 - 11/22/12 at 20:19:44

YOu push it a coupla miles & your skills will improve, I PROMISE!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 11/22/12 at 21:00:26

Yeah, that's neat and all, but do you REALLY want your motorcycle to look like your riding lawnmower?  Just fill up around 100 miles after the last fill up and you'll never go empty. Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #3 - 11/22/12 at 21:23:59

HondaLavis wrote on 11/22/12 at 21:00:26:
Yeah, that's neat and all, but do you REALLY want your motorcycle to look like your riding lawnmower?

Fair comment, but ouch.  It would feel a bit like a lawnmower  Cheesy

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 11/23/12 at 06:42:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/22/12 at 20:19:44:
YOu push it a coupla miles & your skills will improve, I PROMISE!

Amen Brutha !!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 11/23/12 at 06:44:41

Chris Roth wrote on 11/22/12 at 21:23:59:
HondaLavis wrote on 11/22/12 at 21:00:26:
Yeah, that's neat and all, but do you REALLY want your motorcycle to look like your riding lawnmower?

Fair comment, but ouch.  It would feel a bit like a lawnmower  Cheesy

Shocked Oh sure,ya had to bring that up. Guys at the shop claim the Savage sounds like a lawnmower Sad . Of course that's what we service and that's all they know  Grin !

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 11/23/12 at 07:01:52

Having a gauge won't keep you from running out of fuel. Every year there are airplanes that make "off field landings" because they ran out of fuel.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 11/23/12 at 10:38:31

I can go about 150 miles max, so generally fill-up at around 130 miles or so.  Hang one of these on your handlebar or clutch cable and change the numbers at each fill-up...

http://www.drillspot.com/products/102222/Master_Lock_646D_Combination_Compact...

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 11/23/12 at 13:11:44

The tank can be opened in places other than at a gas pump.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 11/23/12 at 15:08:19

You aren't suggesting - GASP - opening the tank and actually LOOKING IN to see if there is fuel present? What a radical concept. Brings back the days of the Cushman scooters, which had neither a gas gauge nor a reserve.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 11/24/12 at 06:15:45

The RYCA conversions have little tanks and trip odometers, and mine has a raptor.
-- So far, after about eight fill-ups, this setup starts the fuel-starvation miss at 61 to 66 miles.
-- The standard drill, then, is to fill up at about 60 miles, or,.... wait until it starts stuttering, move the raptor to RES, then get some gas within the next 10 or 15 miles.  This procedure reminds me of the days when all motorcycles were like this,... my first two real motorcycles:  Ducati 250 Monza, Norton Atlas 750.

I think I'll try to run it out of gas altogether sometime to see how long it takes to use up the reserve fuel.  I'll stay close to gas stations, and carry along a quart of gas in an old oil bottle.

I agree with the lawn mower comments, plus I don't think the stuff sticking down inside the tank would have room to operate properly.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/24/12 at 06:28:01

Charon wrote on 11/23/12 at 15:08:19:
You aren't suggesting - GASP - opening the tank and actually LOOKING IN to see if there is fuel present? What a radical concept. Brings back the days of the Cushman scooters, which had neither a gas gauge nor a reserve.

WEll,, I didnt spell it out, because it IS such a shocking notion. I  thot it'd be easier for peoples nerves if I just tossed out that subtle hint. The backhoe has nothing, no hints, no clues, no reserve. Its out & it sputters to a halt. I dont like that, so, I keep an eye on the tank.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/24/12 at 09:11:48

Hey ChrisRoth this idea has been tossed around in prior posts with the lawn mower caps/gauges. A few guys brain stormed around with it and pretty much the verdict was that it just was not worth the trouble of cutting a tank and welding in a second cap mount just to use the cap/gauge or to modify the existing neck to adapt to it either. There have been other styles of gauges brought up for debate including the clear glass gas sight tubes, even the people who did go through the trouble of modding didn't seem to think it was worth it in the end (even though I think they look cool).  

All in all getting accusom to your ride and knowing approximately when to fill up before having to switch to reserve is pretty much the most prudent aproach to fueling up. Wether that entails using a wax pen, lock for a counter or adding an odometer  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gary
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/25/12 at 18:20:25

I have an older version off this. It has a calculated fuel gauge that seems to be pretty good to me. I have used it for two years and would be sorry to give it up.
http://www.veypor.com/veypor.html

Gary

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:39:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas gauge options?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.