Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Float stuck while riding (Read 109 times)
Mad-V-Maxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

massillon, ohio
Float stuck while riding
11/22/12 at 15:19:51

Wow, What a scare stopped at intersection close to home and fuel just pouring out on headpipe canister joint Sad. Overflow lines not routed up whoops! I need to change friggin petcock and rejet anyhow. Ive never had a street bike stick a float before, I tapped the hell out of it and ended up having to pull hose and drain into a spare jug. I mounted a screamin eagle ll can on it this mornin and was just lovin it up till then. Does anyone have a preferance, kester, K&L, or stock? Dont really wanna blow 57 bucks on a stock needle and seat.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Float stuck while riding
Reply #1 - 11/22/12 at 16:11:51

How old is your bike?  Has it been sitting lately?  More likely than not, I'd imagine there's just some gunk in your bowl.  I wouldn't go buying a new needle and seat just yet; first remove the carb, clean it off and inspect the needle.  If it's got a visible wear groove, then look towards a new one.

As for kits, I've heard bad things about Keyster from the other forum I'm a part of (old Honda SOHC4's) usually relating to the throttle needle having a different taper, jets being slightly off, etc.  Not sure if that applies with their Suzuki products.  Best way to save money on jets is to move slowly and methodically, making sure you've properly cleaned and inspected everything first.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/22/12 at 16:13:48

57 bucks on a stock needle and seat.

57 bucks on a stock needle and seat?

57 bucks on a stock needle and seat !!!!

Seriously?? Thats NUTS@!

Unless the needle has a groove in the tip where it meets the seat I dont see a reason for a new one,, You sure you didnt get crud in there hangin it up?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 11/22/12 at 18:18:29

I would clean it  before buying anything unless the problem is visible. We have had wars on here about additives, but I would try a dose of Sea Foam at no more than two ounces/gallon. It is a solvent and can help with parts that may be binding on gas varnish. I use it as directed occassionally in all my engines. About $47 less than new parts. ihth  Smiley
About 1977 I ran an enduro on a Puch 175 and came into the staging area after running about half the race. The slide was so packed with sand in the Bing carb it was stuck at something like 1/2 throttle. I had to put it in 4th gear very quickly and smother it to keep from hitting the vehicles in the parking area. Cleaned it in Petisol 202 and ran it like I stole it.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Mad-V-Maxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

massillon, ohio
Reply #4 - 11/23/12 at 09:00:27

Thanks for info guys, Ive had this carb apart to clean because its manditory with a motorcycle anymore with this crap gas. Ive been able to buy some fairly nice bikes in the past because they sat for 6 months and now they wont idle or run like crap, cause pilot air jets plugged up.

IP Logged
Mad-V-Maxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

massillon, ohio
Reply #5 - 11/23/12 at 13:55:29

Problem solved floats full of gas. Im gonna see if I cant solder with an iron. Thanks for the tips again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/23/12 at 14:01:11

Ahhh, the old sunk float trick!  A fat soldering gun otta handle it, clean the area, use flux, 60/40 resin core.

ETA

Of course, legalities require a note here.. This is not a moment for a torch,, while it would make the heat right pronto, the likelihood of having enough float left to solder up would be slim. Eyebrows could be lost, along with bits & pieces of face.  

LOsing face is bad.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mad-V-Maxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

massillon, ohio
Reply #7 - 11/23/12 at 16:33:43

Ive lost enought face in my younger yrs I know a little better now. I spent a week in the hospital for 2nd degree burns to my face, neck and hand. I really dont like gasoline all that much anymore.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 17:10:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Float stuck while riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.