Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine has a loud tapping sound (Read 255 times)
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Engine has a loud tapping sound
11/22/12 at 08:46:44

I am hearing a noticeable tapping or knocking sound from the motor.  I did not recognize this a few weeks back when it was running.  But I hear it now after the reassembly where I put in the Verslagan chain tensioner and sealed the valve cover plug leak.  Also got fresh T6 oil and NGK spark plug too. At first I thought it was the decompressor linkage as it was not fully connected, after fixing its connection the idle is better but the spring on this still feels very weak.  

It seems to drive fine as I have had it all over town, just a tapping sound especially noticeable at idle.  The only posts I could find that seemed related was Verslagen's from 3 years ago with a blown ring and piston knocking - but I don't see how mine could have gone from working to not with just a valvecover reassembly and cam tensioner replacement.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Engine has a loud tapping sound
Reply #1 - 11/22/12 at 09:00:47

Chris,
IDK if this could be it but you may want to take a look at the valve clearances again. This is from a thread back in August from SavageEarl I think.

Good hunting

"The valves sit in the top of the head.  The rocker arms sit in the head cover.
You open that joint when you replace the plug cap.  You put it back together with sealant between the surfaces.  If the sealant thickness is not EXACTLY the same as was when you took it apart, the valve clearance will be off.
Hope that helps."

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/22/12 at 09:26:59

Quote:
But I hear it now after the reassembly where I put in the Verslagan chain tensioner

Are you hearing the tapping on the side cover near the oil cover?
Did you pull out the tab that locks the plunger in?

Quote:
decompressor linkage as it was not fully connected, after fixing its connection the idle is better but the spring on this still feels very weak.

This spring is weak, and can be operated easily by hand until it starts pushing on the rocker.

can you pin point where the tapping is coming from?

WWW   IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #3 - 11/22/12 at 09:28:36

When I first took it apart I saw it was just black form-a-gasket.  I ordered full motor gasket set so I had stuff just in case I needed it.  Than my Clymer book arrives and I see there isn't a premade gasket.  So in my reassembly I used Copper form-a-gasket but maybe I cranked it down a little too tight introducing a smaller clearance.

Thanks for the tip and I will check this out.

IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #4 - 11/22/12 at 09:49:43

Quote:
Are you hearing the tapping on the side cover near the oil cover?
Did you pull out the tab that locks the plunger in?

can you pin point where the tapping is coming from?

I actually think I hear it by the exhaust lifters from the top of the motor, more so on the left (opposite oil cover). That is what drove me to check the decompressor.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/22/12 at 10:33:07

Tapping in time with the valves can be an issue.
I'd re adjust the valves, might even adjust them a tad tight just to see.

oil flow is very important the journals.  If you've applied to much sealant and blocked the oil path, you can damage the top end severely.

You might take off a inspection cover long enough to verify oil is flying everywhere.  There's a little pool the cams sit in that should be full of oil.

WWW   IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #6 - 11/22/12 at 11:28:07

Got a look in there an the Decompressor shaft seems to be backing itself out.  I believe the tapping is it hitting the edge of the lifter instead of riding on top of it.  The bolt that goes in at an angle to secure the shaft does not seem to be holding it in (see page #92 in Clymer).

Also, should there be oil pooled around these?  Mine appear coated lightly but nothing collecting here.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 11/22/12 at 12:23:09

You should probably inspect it.
that bolt only goes thru a half round in the decomp shaft.
so if it's worn, you might need to replace it.

And I'm wondering, do you have it over tightened?
the decomp should only hit the rocker when activated.

in that area, only splash lubed, drain is next to valve.

WWW   IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #8 - 11/22/12 at 19:18:34

I am not sure how, but I suspect I got a bolt mixed up in the valve cover reassembly.  I have some spare ones from another Savage, long story but I got spare parts, and found one that works to secure the shaft.  But the shaft does appear to have an odd angle on it, I suspect it originally should be flat in its contact with the lifter.

It is quieter now after putting this newer bolt in.  But some tapping from the valve cover still there.  I think I will need to pull it off again, reapply a thicker form-a-gasket, and see if I can back off the tightening to offer more clearance.

SavageExhaustLifter_2012_11_22.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/26/12 at 09:21:11

You don't want any thicker "Form a Gasket' or sealant.  The head cover is also the upper half of the bearings for the cam - so if you raise the head cover up you will be getting too big of a clearance in the cam bearings......and this will be noisey and it will not properly control the oil flow.

The sealant you put on the head cover should only be about as thick as a pencil lead and be located in the center of the sealing surface.  You don't want the stuff to ooze out of the edges in thick globs as you put the head cover on - as that ooze can block the oil passages if put on too thick.  When you tighten the head cover you should just get a tiny bit sqeezing out of the mating surface.  Look at any stock bike and see that there is not a big glob of sealant......just a trace.  The sealant between the mating surfaces makes a good seal and there is no reason to have bunches of it oozing out.

I prefer to use the Yambond or Suzukibond.  It is black, made to seal these surfaces properly, it does not tack up real fast and gives you time to assemble the pieces.  I squeeze it from the tube into a little syringe and it is much easier to put on accurately.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #10 - 11/28/12 at 22:10:55

I ordered a new Decompression Shaft.  The tapping is absolutely from the  left side and while the engine is cold if I touch the decomp assembly I can feel the tapping.  Just appears worn and out of spec at this point.  I can only hope that with a new one, everything lines up right to quiet this down.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/28/12 at 22:18:24

take it out and see if it goes away.

WWW   IP Logged