Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
so that slipping on gravel thing is real (Read 345 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: so that slipping on gravel thing is real
Reply #15 - 11/22/12 at 15:56:30

I call that move "The POwer Splits", cuz there is an external power
" helping" . & yes, Ive practiced that move more than once.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/22/12 at 18:44:12

So yeah there was a huge pile of gravel right at. the turn. I still should have done something different for sure could have taken the turn wider

But anyway now I'd like to turn this discussion towards boots

I'm looking around for a good pair of riding boots now. Not sure if I want to go full racing style protection but after having my ankle twisted around and then having a 500lb bike fall on it pprotection and ridgedity is definitely a prime concern

Any suggestions or direction?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #17 - 11/22/12 at 19:28:56

Tried to go go down at a four way stop I was about to run on a residential street in a town of 3000 people. I mean our biggest problem is traffic jams from people setting there saying, "You go...No you go". I was going maybe 15 or so. Grabbed a double handful of front brake. Tire actually squealed or chirped as it started to do that sideways thing. I let off and it, through no fault of mine, straightened right up. Guy in the Chevy truck on my left didn't even have time to say, You go first..." Hope you heal fast.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #18 - 11/22/12 at 20:32:11

I ride with regular MC riding boots, except when I'm just cruising to our local store, about 5 miles away on a 2 lane mountain road.   Then it's usually tennis shoes or whatever I have on, with the exception that I NEVER ride with sandals or shorts - a line I do not cross!   Since you had the injury, you should be able to best assess the gear you'd want, under the circumstances.

Keep in mind, you cannot anticipate every conceivable event, so like every other situation in life, you plan for the "average". This means whatever kind of gloves, pants, shirt, or jock strap you feel you need, combined with rational common sense.   Whatever your choice, it will probably be wrong the next time, when your new boots protect your ankles just fine, but the handlebars slice across your neck violently ripping out your jugular.  Statistics show that motorcycling is not the safest lifestyle you can choose.  Just making a point...

« Last Edit: 11/25/12 at 07:43:40 by 360k+ »  

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 11/22/12 at 20:40:17

Statistics show that motorcycling is not the safest lifestyle you can choose.

I would like to point out to the uninitiated that this is what some would call a perfect NO DUHH statement,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #20 - 11/23/12 at 06:26:44

Riding footwear seems to be a BIG topic across all types of riders. As pointed out above,sandals and flip-flops are  a no-no for any time. I will not wear sneakers,dress shoes or any other low cut shoes either.

Having said all that, I find the "riding boots" very uncomfortable for my type of riding,which is riding to get somewhere. They are so-so while on the scoot but not made for walking or working at all.

I've found that standard lace-up work boots(my favorites are Danners,expensive but long wearing and very comfortable) or pull-ons that are "western-styled" but with round toe and no fancy stitching work best for me.  A good brand of either type will be comfortable and made of heavy leather for plenty of protection.

As always,it's just my take on the subject. This and $2 will get you a decent cup of java! Grin

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 11/23/12 at 08:32:09

Lace up "logging" boots with 8" tops or slip on riding boots (aka jack boots) with minimum 11" tops. Steel toe only, shifter adjusted to fit...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #22 - 11/23/12 at 08:57:23

ZAR wrote on 11/23/12 at 06:26:44:
As always,it's just my take on the subject. This and $2 will get you a decent cup of java! Grin

Not at Starbucks, it won't!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 11/23/12 at 09:21:47

He said decent... that automatically excludes Starbucks and their burnt drek.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 11/23/12 at 13:05:53

WD wrote on 11/23/12 at 09:21:47:
He said decent... that automatically excludes Starbucks and their burnt drek.

I do not understand why people pretend thats Fine Coffee.. Mine is So much better,,& I can have coffee for Days, heck, more than a week, for the cost of One Cup of their Burnt Drek.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #25 - 11/23/12 at 13:23:59

They toss sand on the roads here in winter, as a precaution, to snow/ice forecast. It is left in piles where the tire racks kick it long after the threat is gone. I learned quickly after a few close ones on my lil' rebel which was pretty easy to correct with its light weight. I have since learned to read the road surface and to anticipate problem areas, and ride accordingly, no guarantees, but it helps.

Upon reflection, can you share what you did/thinking (if you can recall)  and what you could have done otherwise?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 11/24/12 at 07:18:16

Like Zar I learned to ride on gravel at a very early age because there wasn't much else to ride on where I lived.  But I avoid gravel today.  We used to ride very light bikes and wore serious work boots.  The strategy was to NOT use the brakes.  If you had to use the brake then the rear brake was preferred, more control if you locked up.  I don't think I would want ABS braking on a bike.  When we got in real trouble we used our feet like the dirt trackers do and tried to stay up that way.  But we rode light bikes and the pegs and seat were arranged a little better for the purpose of getting your feet down with good leverage in a hurry.  A cruiser configuration isn't ideal in gravel and I am nervous whenever I hit a patch of it now.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 11/24/12 at 14:10:46

The corner

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 11/24/12 at 19:21:56

M/C hazard, call Road & Bridge & report it,

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #29 - 11/24/12 at 19:50:49

I just end up wearing my steel toe work boots as my riding boots also. After five or six different brands over the last 3 years I finally settled on Justin square toe boots which for my foot I find to be amazingly comfortable straight away without any break in period. Can't stand laces they just collect crud.

http://www.justinboots.com/boots/Safety_Toe.html?424fccf8=WK4682

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 19:24:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › so that slipping on gravel thing is real

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.