Send Topic Print
battery charger (Read 300 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Re: battery charger
Reply #15 - 12/05/12 at 06:50:06

DAY 1      I finally installed the comfort indicator eyelet 2 days ago. When I did it's middle(of 3) light came on. I then plugged it into the US 800 charger, and the charger into an AC outlet. The charger's "charging" light came on. The indicator's middle(yellow) light implies that a charge is recommended. The red light implies that a charge is needed. Within 3 or 4 minutes the lights on both units went to the green(charged status). My battery was fine with 3 1/2 months of riding/being parked. I left things hooked up for a few minutes before unplugging them. I didn't like that the comfort indicator's lights flashed almost every second, thinking that this may cause an unnecessary current draw. I went away and returned in 5 hours. The indicator's light was now in the red. It wasn't red initially with no battery charging in the 3 1/2 months I've owned the bike since it was purchased new. I didn't feel like working on it anymore that night, so I hooked the US 800 back up and decided to leave it that way overnight. I also decided at that time to remove the indicator and install the one(without lights) that came with the US 800. I also decided to take the battery out and check the electrolyte level in each cell.

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #16 - 12/05/12 at 06:50:25

DAY 2    The next morning I unplugged the charger. I then unhooked the negative cable of the battery and placed an ammeter in series(in between the cable and the battery "post") to check current draw - about 1.5 mA. I removed the indicator and checked current draw - 0.0 mA. This was what I expected since our bikes don't have anything on them to draw current. I installed the comfort eyelet that came with the US 800 - still 0.0 mA draw(no lights).      Great - onto the battery. To remove it I had to remove the bracket that the tool box cover is bolted to. It was then that I saw it - there was no vent tube !!! I remembered the posts within this thread about charging with the battery in place. As long as a vent tube directed the corrosive mist downward things would be fine. I felt like going to my Suzuki mechanic and cleaning his clock. Instead, I cleaned the surrounding area. I assumed that a vent tube was in place, and I assumed that my local Suzuki mechanic was competent. Of course, I know what can happen when we ass/u* Doug B things.     I do blame myself 100%

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #17 - 12/05/12 at 07:06:21

I'm not sure what happened at the end of my previous post   I wrote(and confirmed it)      "Of course, I know what can happen when we ass/u* Doug B things. I do blame myself 100%"   it cut off after the u and turned red

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #18 - 12/05/12 at 07:07:31

I guess our site can't handle slash marks

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #19 - 12/05/12 at 07:25:33

I was, of course, referring to the old saying : never assume anything, because it can make an a_ _  out of you and me      with the word "assume" broken up with slash marks between the 3rd and 4th letters   and the 4th and 5th letters

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 12/05/12 at 07:26:32

Doug B wrote on 12/05/12 at 06:49:27:
verslagen1 - the connector you pictured is the pigtail type, mine is the eyelet type    As far as liking it ???

Understood, I like the battery status indicator.  I'm wondering if I can use this with my current charger which has the iso type.

Will the iso type connector plug into their plug?   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:29:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › battery charger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.