Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Next step in trying to eliminate backfiring? (Read 522 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Next step in trying to eliminate backfiring?
Reply #30 - 11/25/12 at 09:01:19

Just for additional information: I used to have a 1983 Suzuki GR650 Tempter. It "backfired" and popped just like the Savage/S40. But it wasn't a thumper - it was a twin. The dealership "adjusted" it to eliminate the afterfire, but was unsuccessful. I mention this only to point out that it isn't only Suzuki's singles that afterfire. The most successful solution I have found is also the simplest: earplugs.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #31 - 11/26/12 at 03:55:35

Your carb has been apart twice by the mechanic and it looked good to him, but did he run the carb cleaning tool through all the jets and every passageway ?
The carb cleaning tool is a little kit if speciality wires made for the very purpose of running through jets and passageways, which at times is the only way of clearing them of built up carbon, grit and fuel residue.  There is no way to eyeball those passageways, you must run them with the wire.  If your mechanic did not do that then he did not complete the job of cleaning the carb.

It is a fallacy that a big single is destined to backfire simply because it is a big single.  Do you think the owner of a BMW 650 would be satisfied with that answer from a dealer ? Or KTM or Honda 650 owner ?  Nope.
They do have fuel infection systems but that is just a better version of a basic carb.  If their FI system malfunctioned do you think they would backfire ?  Yep.  And would the dealer simply pass it off as "it is just the nature of a big single" ?  Not if they want to keep their business.  They would fix it.  
We are such a small portion of the market that many Suzuki dealers just blow us off because they do not care or because their mech's no longer know how a carb works and how to fix them.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #32 - 11/26/12 at 05:11:36

Thanks.  I don't know if the mechanic at the dealership actually cleaned the TEV or just eyeballed it. I'll get a carb cleaning tool (there's a link here somewhere) and when I have had more practice with carbs (by cleaning the spare carb I have), I'll tackle this one and see if I can resolve the issue by cleaning the carb as  you suggest. If not, then at least I know it's not the carb.

- David
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #33 - 11/26/12 at 05:46:15

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/26/12 at 05:11:36:
Thanks.  I don't know if the mechanic at the dealership actually cleaned the TEV or just eyeballed it. I'll get a carb cleaning tool (there's a link here somewhere) and when I have had more practice with carbs (by cleaning the spare carb I have), I'll tackle this one and see if I can resolve the issue by cleaning the carb as  you suggest. If not, then at least I know it's not the carb.

While you have the carb apart on the bench, keep everything on a perfectly clean surface,... pretend you are doing brain surgery or something.  
-- I used to use a towel, but a t-shirt works better because t-shirt material has very little lint compared to terry cloth.  One bit of lint trapped in a jet will add a lot of frustration.
-- Doing everything on a large cloth also helps to keep small pieces in front of you, rather than bouncing and rolling into black holes, never to be seen again.

Another way to get inner surfaces of complicated mechanical devices (carbs, for example) clean internally is to do it ultrasonically.  These gadgets are cheap now, and can be used for all kinds of things besides carbs.  I use mine for cartridges cases, gun parts, jewelry, dirty switches, piles of small fasteners, glasses, etc.  Here's a newer version of the one I bought a long time ago, and it is on sale at the moment:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 11/26/12 at 05:51:03

They'll knock a kidney stone out of a Guinea Pig,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #35 - 11/26/12 at 05:57:50

LANCER wrote on 11/26/12 at 03:55:35:
It is a fallacy that a big single is destined to backfire simply because it is a big single.  

Exactly.  Every cylinder on every motorcycle of any type ridden by those viewing this discourse has a carb, cylinder head, exhaust header, and muffler.  (this statement excludes FI systems)  
-- Single, twin, triple, four, or six cylinders makes no diff.  
-- It's just more noticeable on an LS650 because of the size of of the cylinder involved, and, since it has but a single cylinder, the burbles and pops seem more dramatic because of the time between exhaust pulses.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #36 - 11/26/12 at 06:25:25

Heres a prediction,..........
You are going to keep messin w/ that carb....that there isn't anything wrong w/ untill you get it so screwed up you will end up forced to buy a new one. Many have !
If you can't simply learn to control backfire w/ the throttle, you have the wrong motorcycle,.....believe it !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #37 - 11/26/12 at 06:48:25

This might be slightly off-topic, but it involves a single and afterfiring. I have a Yamaha Majesty scooter, 400 cc single, fuel injected. When I took it to the Rocky Mountain Park earlier this year, I noticed at high altitude it also would afterfire and "grumble" on deceleration. I didn't happen to notice the altitude at which it started happening, but I am guessing above 8000 feet. I started browsing through its service manual, and it has an air injection system which injects air into the exhaust very near the engine any time the pressure in the exhaust goes negative (below ambient) with the idea of burning any unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust. I can only speculate that at high altitude the pressure differences were small enough the air injection didn't work, and the resultant unburned stuff could afterfire. The LS650 has no such injection system (and if it did folks would complain and remove it), so has no way to avoid the afterfire.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #38 - 11/27/12 at 04:02:22

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/26/12 at 05:11:36:

The carb cleaning wire tool is available from Sudco (323-728-5407) part #950-203 for $10.50

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #39 - 11/27/12 at 07:13:42

Quote:
The carb cleaning wire tool is available from Sudco (323-728-5407) part #950-203 for $10.50

Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #40 - 11/27/12 at 07:15:18

Routy wrote on 11/26/12 at 06:25:25:
Heres a prediction,..........
You are going to keep messin w/ that carb....that there isn't anything wrong w/ untill you get it so screwed up you will end up forced to buy a new one. Many have !
If you can't simply learn to control backfire w/ the throttle, you have the wrong motorcycle,.....believe it !

That's why I got a spare carb to experiment with, so I know what I'm doing when I open up the "real" carb which, since it's been taken apart and put back together by the shop, should not be hard to dissassemble and reassemble. If I know it's fine, then I'll learn to live with the backfring, but at the moment I don't know that.

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 11/27/12 at 09:31:52

Man,, I wanna see the tool, but IM not loadin that whole catalog over it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 11/27/12 at 09:56:43

K&L carb cleaner wire set

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 11/27/12 at 11:15:19

KInda sorta looks like a cuttin torch tool.

I have a selection of fine wire, NO, Not Wine, Wire,, & can generally find what I need just layin in the shop, on a shelf, by the radio. Some are pointed, some blunt. A trip to the hobby shop for what they call Control Rod , or PIano Wire,, Great stuff, so hard it can break if bent too far too quickly, & heating it & letting it cool slowly only makes it more brittle,,
I havent tried a quench to anneal step, one day I may need to. Heck,, Im just gonna, today,, I have a small torch I use for soldering thatll do it,,

Anyway, that stuff comes in sizes smaller than a straight pin,or up to approaching 1/4",, 3 foot lengths, great stuff to have in a shop.,

$10.00 worth would get an assortment that'd surely cover the needs of carb passeges & youd have stuff long enough left over for projects.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #44 - 11/27/12 at 11:59:31

True. But the carb kit wires are knurled, may be more effective and less likely to scratch. Found in Amazon for $11 including shipping.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:20:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Next step in trying to eliminate backfiring?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.