Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Next step in trying to eliminate backfiring? (Read 522 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Next step in trying to eliminate backfiring?
Reply #15 - 11/24/12 at 12:34:22

If you're sure that your header and muffler are sealed up tight...
and your carb is as clean as a whistle...

I'd mod the TEV spring, but NOT the stock one.
find yourself a couple that are close to it, length, number of coils, wire size, diameter.

Note: more coils make it softer, less stiffer.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #16 - 11/24/12 at 12:57:53

Well, I am sure there is no exhaust leak and that the carb is clean. I have an older carb lying around that I got on eBay to experiment with (and for spare parts in case I messed something up). I can take a look at that spring and see if I can modify it. Would cutting a coil or two off of it be the way to go, assuming that spring is the same as the one on my bike?

- David
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 11/24/12 at 16:46:42

When tuning the screw you want the point of highest rpm.
Turn the screw right and then left until you find the point of the highest rpm...that is the BEST setting for the screw.
I find it odd that a #55 pilot jet works best on a stock engine with a totally stock exhaust.  How many turns out are you on the pilot screw ?

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #18 - 11/24/12 at 16:58:18

What's odd about the 55 jet on a stock bike?

I had gone out to 3 turns on the idle mix screw with the stock pilot jet and I was still getting a lot of backfiring. Now, with the 55 jet, the idle mix screw is about 1 1/4 turns out. Unfortunately, still backfiring. Tried the 55 jet when it turned out the TEV was fine. Going up on the jet was an attempt to increase the richness of the mix to stop the backfiring, since I couldn't go out any further on the idle mix screw and make any difference.

I'll try tinkering with it a bit more, but 1 1/4 turns seemed to give the best idle speed today (at about 45 degrees outside, sea level).

Have people here been successful at eliminating backfiring on this bike with stock air box and exhaust?

- David
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 11/24/12 at 19:36:07

Quote:
Have people here been successful at eliminating backfiring on this bike with stock air box and exhaust?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Best answer,....No,. stock or otherwise.

Another answer,.....yes, till it came back.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 11/24/12 at 19:40:50

Controlling it, getting it down to what an engine like this is really gonna do,, solving air leaks, getting the jetting right, its no longer obnoxious,, now, it growls & snarls as I downshift,, but it no longer is an embarrassment, it doesnt sound like a gun at every shift,, & the spittin & snarlin as it slows can be controlled, I just dont, cuz I LIKe It

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #21 - 11/24/12 at 20:05:20

So, altogether, what modifications did you make to the stock bike in order to reduce the backfiring?

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 11/24/12 at 20:23:16

The Big One was gettin the header pipe snugged up in the jug, I Think,., I pretty much hadda richen it up, cuz I put the Supertrapp on, w/ 14 disks, but, I cant remember what jets I used.Adjusted the Idle Air mix & I sanded the spacer down a bit on the needle. K&N drop in air filter.,

Before I did all that I went riding with 3 others.. None of them appreciated my bike,, it was just an embarrassing bunch of noise,,KInda helped me wanna work on it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #23 - 11/24/12 at 20:28:34

So it still backfires even with the richer jets, Supertrapp, and spacer mod? Interesting. The mechanic I've been working with keeps trying to convince me the Supertrapp will fix that problem and in general make the ride much better.

- David
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 11/24/12 at 20:35:49

You can add disks to the supertrapp to let it breathe better, but it will lean it out, so you need to rejet.

for stock jetting 6 to 8 disks are required.

after you fix the air leaks, and tune it properly, all you'll get is grumble pops on decel, much like a jake brake on a truck.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 11/24/12 at 21:29:29

I dont understand the whole OMG it Backfired mentality.. There is a situation where its just constant & annoying & uncontrollable & then theres a well tuned engine that Will growl & Spit. A leaky exhaust is Not Gonna Stop popping & banging between shifts & slowing down, poorly jetted engines make a racket thats tiresome,, a well tuned engine Still makes noise,, & Thank GOD for it.,Its a beautiful sound, coming down from a high speed run, racking the RPM up, synching the tranny up for the next downshift & series of Blapp Blapp groowwll  sounds. Now, IF thats not okay, say, close to a nursing home or trying to sneak in the back door too late,,, then dont ride it like that, but before I did the work, I couldnt stand it, Im sure it was just leaks,, theyll make a mess of it.,.

Okay? That splain it?>

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 11/25/12 at 03:40:55

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/24/12 at 16:58:18:
What's odd about the 55 jet on a stock bike?

I had gone out to 3 turns on the idle mix screw with the stock pilot jet and I was still getting a lot of backfiring. Now, with the 55 jet, the idle mix screw is about 1 1/4 turns out. Unfortunately, still backfiring. Tried the 55 jet when it turned out the TEV was fine. Going up on the jet was an attempt to increase the richness of the mix to stop the backfiring, since I couldn't go out any further on the idle mix screw and make any difference.

I'll try tinkering with it a bit more, but 1 1/4 turns seemed to give the best idle speed today (at about 45 degrees outside, sea level).

What's odd is that a stock engine with stock exhaust just does not need need more than the 52.5 pilot.  I have a 2006 with stock engine and header with just a muffler change, and it is a pretty open muffler.  I have the 52.5 pilot set at 2 3/4 turns out and it is nearly backfire free.  I had no backfires at all initially but the exhaust has since loosened a bit from the quick install I did so I need to go back and tighten it up.  Point is that the 52.5 is just about all it needs.  It is borderline but it is darn close.  A stock engine with stock muffler will not move as much air and so will not need as much fuel.  Since your stocker is still backfiring then there is another issue that is affecting the engine and making it backfire.
Typically, an air leak in the head/header and/or the header/muffler connections is the other cause of backfiring.
You said you were adjusting the pilot screw to reduce the backfire.  That is a secondary but desirable effect of the tuning process.  When you are tuning the pilot screw your goal is to achieve the best (highest) rpm when the COMPLETELY WARMED UP engine is idling.  When you find that point, if you turn the screw either left or right the rpm will decrease.  Then you know you have found the best setting.  With that setting, adding no more than maybe a quarter turn for a dash of extra fuel to help that last little bit for any backfire left over.  At this point you should be at least 95% backfire free, with only a rare shot...if not totally free.
I would not expect a stock engine with stock exhaust to go beyond 2 turns out on a 52.5 pilot.
With your situation where you have a 55 pilot and still experiencing backfire, there is an air leak somewhere.  I would bet your exhaust is messing with you or perhaps there may be an air leak between carb, mounting flange & head as well.

« Last Edit: 11/25/12 at 08:43:35 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 11/25/12 at 03:44:26

One add on; this assumes that your carb is functioning perfectly.  If any of the passageways are clogged even a little bit that will affect it's function and mess with your jetting and tuning efforts.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 11/25/12 at 06:31:36

affect it's function and mess with your jetting and tuning efforts.

Mess with being the mildest of terms applicable..yea, I totally forgot to include that part..A clean & properly functioning carb is just something I figure folks have, & I need to rethink that,, its just not always so..
I gotta get in mine & have a look at the jets, but I Think Im gonna do that after I do the Raptured petcock,my stocker is gonna go meet God, in the air,,

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #29 - 11/25/12 at 07:57:42

LANCER wrote on 11/25/12 at 03:44:26:
One add on; this assumes that your carb is functioning perfectly.  If any of the passageways are clogged even a little bit that will affect it's function and mess with your jetting and tuning efforts.

As far as I and the mechanic who took the carb apart and rejetted it can see, the carb is functioning perfectly, the exhaust is tight, the carb is installed properly, etc. They had to do the head plug leak fix and have been into the carb twice and can't find any problems, yet it still backfires even with the larger pilot jet. Their contention is that these bikes backfire due to being large, single cylindar bikes, but that installing a less restrictive exhaust such as the Supertrapp will probably eliminate the backfiring. This is more money than I want to put into a bike I will probably sell next year, so I'm looking for another solution. Pops and grumbles on decel I don't care about, but these are gunshot pops that frequently occur on decel once the revs go down significantly, though not on shifting.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:33:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Next step in trying to eliminate backfiring?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.