Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The trouble with safety's... (Read 524 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: The trouble with safety's...
Reply #45 - 11/29/12 at 16:44:33

Charon wrote on 11/18/12 at 12:53:09:
While you are busy disabling safeties, don't forget the Park/Neutral start interlock on your car. Don't forget the one that requires you to step on the brake before you shift out of Park. Might as well disable the brake light switch, too, and go back to hand signals. If you operate a heavy vehicle, disable the backup beeper. If it has air brakes, remove the low air pressure buzzer. And disable the ABS and stability systems, too.

Let's move into the house and remove the smoke alarm batteries. We can cut off the ground pins on all three-wire plugs, and short across all fuses and circuit breakers. We can easily enough disable overtemp safeties on furnaces and low- and high-pressure switches on air conditioners (in the car, too). Of course, all those silly GFCI breakers in the kitchen, bathroom, and basement will have to go. Oh - I almost forgot the Carbon Monoxide detector if your heating system uses any sort of flame. There is also a pressure relief on your hot water heater. Don't forget to block it.

Anyone care to add to the list?

Let's go overboard and completely miss the whole point...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #46 - 11/29/12 at 17:13:27

Built2Last wrote on 11/29/12 at 16:44:33:
Let's go overboard and completely miss the whole point...

I think that ship already sailed... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #47 - 11/30/12 at 21:10:39

FRiend was over today on his old Honda,, stand has a chunk of  rubber mounted so it hits first,

Not every sophisticated solution is a better one,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #48 - 12/01/12 at 15:01:00

My wife's '81 Honda Twinstar had that little rubber extension on the sidestand, too. As I remember, the extension had a little line on it with an arrow and a warning that it was to be replaced when worn to the line. It was a system that probably worked fine, if the turn into the lowered sidestand was a gentle turn. An abrupt turn might have still resulted in a get-off.

Some Harleys had a detented sidestand which kept the sidestand from retracting at all with the weight of the bike on the stand. How that would work in a turn, I don't know.

Some other bikes had their sidestands spring-loaded so whenever the weight of the bike was removed from them, they self-retracted with great celerity. This was reported to have caused many folks to inadvertently drop their bikes while attempting to park.

Personally, I think the solution was found way back with the early Vespa scooters. They had only a center stand.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #49 - 12/01/12 at 15:05:50

Charon wrote on 12/01/12 at 15:01:00:
Some other bikes had their sidestands spring-loaded so whenever the weight of the bike was removed from them, they self-retracted with great celerity. This was reported to have caused many folks to inadvertently drop their bikes while attempting to park.

Rode a couple of Beemers like that... scary moments...  
(it's like someone pulled a chair out from behind you)...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:20:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › The trouble with safety's...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.