Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Valve clearance, rocker arms and metallic clicking (Read 136 times)
vblomberg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valve clearance, rocker arms and metallic clicking
11/17/12 at 08:54:50

Hi everybody!
Thank you for a very good forum!
After accidentally riding my 1986 savage almost dry of oil it has been alot of noise coming from the top. Thinking it was valve clearance I adjusted them to the correct measures, changed the oil and went for a short ride to see if the noise was gone. It wasn't. So I re-checked the clearance, adjusted them a bit tighter and went for another test-ride. This time it was better, but today when i went to see if the adjusters had moved I noticed the intake rocker arm is moving alot to the sides and can slide almost all the way back and forth on the shaft.

So I got a couple of questions I really need som help with!
1. Is the rocker arm supposed to slide that much sideways?
2. What will the consequences be if i start the bike?
3. Anybody got any other idea of what it could be making the noise?

The noise is coming from the top and sounds like loud metallic clicking following the RPM.

Greetings from Sweden!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Valve clearance, rocker arms and metallic clic
Reply #1 - 11/17/12 at 09:05:49

If you ran completely out of oil you might have done some damage to the rocker tappets and the cam lobes, both of which would cause the issues that you describe.

Verification of this issue would be that a fresh, correct valve adjustment very quickly "wears large" and gets noisy again -- this would be due to the very rough surface left on the tappets and on the cam lobes quickly wearing itself some extra clearance into the system.

Sideways motion is controlled by thrust washers that are assembled on the rocker pivot rods that move the rockers totally over to one side and thus give a consistent alignment to the tappet screw to the valve head.

If you have changed that, then you have done some overheating & washer annealing -- or possibly some aluminum damage as well.

If your aluminum cam bearings in the head are enlarged or wallowed out, you will have a strong ticking that will not go away even with a fresh valve adjustment.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #2 - 11/17/12 at 09:23:30

if I've understood you correctly, then a noise in the area of the cylinder head after you went through on a savage without proper oil level in the engine? the engine oil has been very little? if so, then most likely Oldfeller sad.
you can still try to check the status of the tensioner of motor chain...it gives a very similar sounds . may be after the riding with a low oil level in the engine she just reached out..in General it is checked and it is easy and not expensive . but very useful...
good luck!

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #3 - 11/25/12 at 19:22:51

So if you did a valve adjustment, and there is still ticking due to what OF says, then is there no recourse???  I think I may be in this same boat.  Any parts to replace, or is this "just buy a new engine" territory?

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/25/12 at 20:08:34

Pull the oil filter & dissect it,
Drain oil into a Clean, Non ferrous container,, well,, I guess thats too late,,

go get the old filter outta the oil filter bucket.. Im sure you dont put them in the trash,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:16:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve clearance, rocker arms and metallic clicking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.