Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting a camera for Christmas (Read 71 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Getting a camera for Christmas
11/16/12 at 19:40:13

After reading some really good information on here I am getting a Go Pro Naked from WalMart.com (Santa) I think it was Serowbot who told me about the wide angle deal with video and how it needs a fish eye type lens for good results. I realize it is not a $299 Hero III, but a man's gotta eat. I don't want to use it take before and after pictures as I starve to death.   Grin  Anyway, if anyone has this camera give me some pointers...mostly what NOT to do. It is discontinued, so it's hard to find info on this model. Also the other Go Pro cams won't work on XP. It's $140 with a 16 gig card and 10% off cause my wife works for WM.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Re: Getting a camera for Christmas
Reply #1 - 11/16/12 at 19:46:37

Don't drop it!

I have a 16gb sd card idk if thats what they use or not but I dont need it if you want it it you can have it. Just pm me an adress before sunday.(I'm quitting my job with free mailing perks)

My buddy has the hero and he has extra batteries wich may be nice to have. Aside from that i would treat it like an egg and it should hold up nice.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/16/12 at 21:32:59

Boofer movies,... coming soon!...
Oh boy!...

Start doing push-ups, and watching calories, trim yer' nose hairs,.. and wash yer' bike really good,..  
We're very particular here...
Then,...
Shoot us some viddies... Smiley...
Merry Christmas, Boofer!... Grin...

PS,.. the menu's are not intuitive... at least on the older ones... once you can make them shoot,.. they do good...

Ride safe,... shooting can be distracting... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/17/12 at 02:52:56

heroicseven wrote on 11/16/12 at 19:46:37:
Don't drop it!

I have a 16gb sd card idk if thats what they use or not but I dont need it if you want it it you can have it. Just pm me an adress before sunday.(I'm quitting my job with free mailing perks)

My buddy has the hero and he has extra batteries wich may be nice to have. Aside from that i would treat it like an egg and it should hold up nice.

Having been an avid reader of mysteries & detective stories, I am gonna look at this post & step Waaay out  on a limb & say Heroicseven had one & allowed a moment of insufficient friction between camera & hand to allow gravity to accelerate the camera out of his hand & put it firmly on the ground,, a case of Fatal Attraction/.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 11/17/12 at 04:28:48

I have a buddy that had a Naked a few years ago and put out some good videos of snowboarding and surfing with it   Smiley

Quote:
Ride safe,... shooting can be distracting... Wink...

Deffinately figure out what type of mounting/camera angle you want,  chest mount, bike body mount, bars mount or what not. Make sure after it is mounted and on to forget about it while riding, as JOG pointed out it can be quite a distraction. And don't change your riding habits for the camera, unless it's for the better!   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/17/12 at 04:50:35

I have been thinking about getting a camera.....but just haven't decided what to get yet.

I might suggest that you look at eBay....there are a lot of GoPro cameras that are very low mileage.  It seems that lots of people buy multiple cameras for video shoots.....then when they are over they don't need 5 cameras anymore and sell them.  You may be able to get a more current model for less than retail.  If the item has Buyer Protection you would be able to get your money back if it didn't work.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/17/12 at 05:12:28

Boofer, I picked up the naked Go Pro back in September. The 16GB card should be big enough because the battery lasts 2 to 3 hours and you should have at least that much recording time on the card.

Couple of suggestions. Rain-X on the lens area of the exterior case helps keep it clean. Buy more  sticky mounting tabs and the articulated arm. It comes with two tab mounts, one has a slight curve and the other is flat. You can mount the camera on top of your helmet or on the top of any other curved or flat surface but not on the side unless you have the arm that allows you to rotate the camera.

Spend some time going over the instructions. Settings are made toggling through a menu and not very intuitive.

If you mount it on your helmet, get ready for some strange looks from the pedestrians.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 11/17/12 at 10:51:47

I have a friend who is a hang glider (well, not himself, but he has one).   He bought 4 tiny solid state movie cameras (keychain sized) for $25 apiece and mounted them on his glider frame.   One is forward facing, one rearward, one on each wingtip mostly forward but kicked out perhaps 25 degrees.   They have mini USB connectors so you upload the movies into your computer.   Then you can open 4 windows and watch all simultaneously panoramic style - wayyy cool, and VERY impressive quality for a $25 movie cam!!!   They each have a built-in rechargeable battery, but also a DC connector for permanent power.    I think the recording time is around 20 minutes.   I was thinking of getting one to mount on my model helicopter.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 11/17/12 at 16:28:56

1. Got to fix Savage.
2. I will not be distracted. Will probably see shadow on the ground after five minutes and beat "vampire bat" off my helmet.
C. Blinky, sadly I learned to ignore funny looks from strangers as a child.
4. I see all kinds of affordable accessories for this camera. My wife gave $150 for a Vivitar 2000 35 mm with flash unit in 1995. Published in a train book and a train magazine within two years. Won some  honors helping kids at church with scrapbook in Lads to Leaders. I have always bought middle priced items and made them work. (Savage)
4.1 THANKS for all the positive info! I would love to show you the wide open (No city) riding I have here on the Tennessee River in N Mississippi.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:24:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Getting a camera for Christmas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.