Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To park in gear or to not park in gear . . . (Read 180 times)
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
To park in gear or to not park in gear . . .
11/16/12 at 05:25:38

A friend of mine at work that rides a sport bike noticed that I always park in neutral. He told me that you are always supposed to park in gear so your bike doesn't move. I'm always parked on flat ground so I didn't think it mattered. Is there any validity to this ? Do y'all park in gear ?    Huh

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: To park in gear or to not park in gear . . .
Reply #1 - 11/16/12 at 05:31:25

I can think of good arguments for both sides....I think it is a personal thing that has no right anser.  I always park in neutral and place the bike so that the back tire is up against the curb if parking on the street, with the bike kickstand on the uphill side so it doesn't have to lean any more than necessary.  If there is no curb and the grade is steep I might put it in gear - but I don't normally.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 11/16/12 at 05:36:35

I mostly park in neutral if the bike is on level ground, but if it's on an incline with the front pointed down the slope, I put it in gear so it can't roll forward off the kickstand.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #3 - 11/16/12 at 05:55:35

I park with the bike in neutral and always have the bike facing uphill no matter how steep of an angle. If real steep, then I will put it in gear.

It's not as big of a deal to park (backup) a light bike with the back tire uphill. Try that with a bigger bike and you find out why everyone backs into parking spots that slope down towards the curb.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/16/12 at 06:07:29

12Bravo wrote on 11/16/12 at 05:55:35:
It's not as big of a deal to park (backup) a light bike with the back tire uphill. Try that with a bigger bike and you find out why everyone backs into parking spots that slope down towards the curb.

Made that mistake on, like, the third day out with the C50.

I always park in neutral unless I feel the circumstances warrant it.

--Steve

IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #5 - 11/16/12 at 06:09:11

Thanks for y'all's input. I kinda figured it was just a common sense thing, if you think it's gonna roll put it in gear.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/16/12 at 07:15:29

I park, in gear...less chance of falling... it's not just slopes,.. but a gust of wind,.. or someone bumping it...
I came out of a store once, and some nutty lady was sittng her kids on my bike like it was a carnival ride...
Now, I was pissed,.. but I didn't say anything,... but, I wouldn't want the bike to fall on them... (could hurt the bike)...
I also had someone push my bike out of a parking space, once... (they put it in one of those between places... when I came out, I wasn't exactly sure which space it was originally in,.. so I didn't know which car to key... (a non-rider, might not be able to find neutral to push it)...
Grin...

Anyway,.. these "nightmare" stories... weren't... no damage, no harm,.. just surprise at the rudeness of some people...

In gear....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #7 - 11/16/12 at 07:27:55

Love the bike, but the Savage has the worst side stand that I have ever had on a bike.  THe bike will roll off the stand almost by itself.  When I first got the bike, I was getting off, and my leg hit the passenger back rest.  That was all it took.  I was on the ground under the bike, Ever since, the bike always goes into gear before the sidestand goes down.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 11/16/12 at 07:33:35

I'm trying to figure out how the bike is supposed to move if it's not parked in gear. I'm also trying to figure out how parking in gear eliminates the possibility of it moving. I just recently had to move my car in my garage - it doesn't run - and I forgot that I was using the transmission as the hand brake since it also didn't work. I managed to push it a couple feet before I realized that it wasn't a flat tire or locked up brakes I was pushing against, it was the engine.

If you live in a very hilly area, don't be surprised if your bike ends up down the street if you think leaving it in gear is a worthy hand brake. You're supposed to park it against a curb, NOT leave it in gear. Even in cars with proper hand-brakes, you're supposed to aim the front wheels towards the curb so it will roll into it and stop if it moves.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 11/16/12 at 08:13:40

So, I guess,... everywhere you park,.. there is always a curb?...
I never park on the street,.. and there's never a curb anywhere else...
Pull-outs,.. parking lots,.. scenic views,.. driveways,.. store fronts,... never a curb...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #10 - 11/16/12 at 08:21:08

Serowbot wrote on 11/16/12 at 07:15:29:
I also had someone push my bike out of a parking space, once... (they put it in one of those between places... when I came out, I wasn't exactly sure which space it was originally in,.. so I didn't know which car to key... (a non-rider, might not be able to find neutral to push it).

That was me, I was hoping you couldn't find it then I was gonna come back later and steal your gas tank.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/16/12 at 08:37:13

I always park in gear, the kickstand will go up to easy.
given the choice, park uphill, it'll keep your piston dry if your float valve sticks open.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 11/16/12 at 08:58:37

I used to park in neutral until a few months ago...my daughter wanted to get a blk/wht picture of my bike and mopeds for my birthday...my wife and her moved the bikes to in front of the garage for the picture.

Then my wife had a phone call and my daughter tried to move the Suzi by herself...it fell over on her (she wasn't hurt but it scared her pretty good and my wife had to help pick up the bike after she screamed for help)...
it also broke the turn signal but Skate from the forum was nice enough to send me one for the cost of shipping...

Just glad she didn't get pinned!

Moral of story...so if it's in gear the ladies in my house can't figure out how to roll it!  Smiley

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #13 - 11/16/12 at 09:23:37

I always put mine in gear. The one time I did not, it did fall over on me ( afterolling).

I use to think the bike would not start if not in neutral.. but switch or no, it will start in gear. So my SOP start up is:
get on bike
put key in
put helmet on and strap
turn on key
put in neutral

I have left the key in and on.. so I try to maintain a habit of sequences when getting off the bike as well.  The other reason for leaving it in park is.. thats how I shut it down. I pit it in first pull out the choke to lower rpms and the put down the kickstand.  This gives me the least after-fart.  Then I push the choke back in.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #14 - 11/16/12 at 09:48:55

I park in gear 99% of the time. And then I roll it forward until it stops before setting it on the stand for good. I never did until 'that day'. I always squeeze the brake before jumping on but apparently forgot the one time. The kickstand must not have been down all the way or it rolled forward slightly, I don't know which. As I swung my leg over it, it swung me to the ground and pinned me under it and against my buddy's HD.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:16:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To park in gear or to not park in gear . . .

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.