Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Need To Weatherproof An LED Mount - But How? (Read 375 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Need To Weatherproof An LED Mount - But How?
Reply #45 - 12/04/12 at 19:29:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/19/12 at 18:39:24:
Dear Bobber,, Thats great news. However, Digger dont wanna go diggin for no dang grommets,, thats too much work. PLease get his address from someone who knows him & send him a few, Make sure to not use too much tape on the box. Dont wanna tire him out just gettin in it.

You Could PM the guy & see if he feels like typing his address today,,but,,
well,, you know,, probably a bit too much work,, he has to save himself,.he has a spotless garage that requires a daily micron sized dust detection & eradication procedure that is simply exhausting,

Daaang that was FUN! Smiley

I'm almost too lazy to respond to this post....... Wink

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #46 - 12/04/12 at 19:32:32

360k+ wrote on 11/19/12 at 19:24:11:
Are you trying to seal the LED itself, or are you trying to seal the hole so it won't leak onto the other circuitry?   Any moisture on the LED itself won't matter.   Why?  Because red LEDs drop about 1.7V (forward bias), so any leakage current thru the moisture will likely be insignificant, especially if the LED is current limited to 20ma (via resistor).

If you are trying to prevent moisture into the circuitry inside the PVC pipe, that's another story.   One thing I've used in the past is to drill the 5mm (or 3mm) hole, so the LED is a tight fit (no mount hardware), then goober up the backside of the LED with silicon.  If the LED is not subject to much vibration (aside from the whole pipe unit), then that will probably work.

Yep, I was trying to prevent moisture from leaking in around the LED mount/collar.

I thought of smearing some RTV on the backside of the LEDs, but the housing I'm using is too small to get my fingers into there for that.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #47 - 12/04/12 at 23:00:58

Ive watched me some nature shows, Jane Goodall & such, watchin chimps do stuff.
Youd just be Amazed at the things they figger out. Sometimes, ther'll be some kinda bug, up inside a rotten log & they wanna get it out, you know,, soze they can eat it,, gross,, But, anyway, they cant reach all the way up in the thing to get at the little critter,, so,, you know what they do? They go get them a Stick & they fish that little booger outter there & they Eat him,,
& all that got me to thinking,, Now, if a danged monkey can do that, why cant I use a stick to reach up in places & apply, ohh,, epoxy, or maybe silicone or whatever, up inside a place my fingers are too short or too fat to reach up into?

&, YOu know whaaaat? I couldnt think of one single reason why not!

So, I got me some O them sticks they use for doin fingernails up all nice & purty. They use them to shove those nasty Ol cuticles back when theyre doin a manicure, I dunno Why they call it that, it aint no cure, its just a temporary treatment,,I guess its like callin a hairdo a "Permanent".. They hafta call it that or no one would buy it.. I mean WHO in their right mind would pay that kinda Money for a Temporary?

Anyway, Digger,, get yerself a stick,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #48 - 12/07/12 at 21:34:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/04/12 at 23:00:58:
Ive watched me some nature shows, Jane Goodall & such, watchin chimps do stuff.
Youd just be Amazed at the things they figger out. Sometimes, ther'll be some kinda bug, up inside a rotten log & they wanna get it out, you know,, soze they can eat it,, gross,, But, anyway, they cant reach all the way up in the thing to get at the little critter,, so,, you know what they do? They go get them a Stick & they fish that little booger outter there & they Eat him,,
& all that got me to thinking,, Now, if a danged monkey can do that, why cant I use a stick to reach up in places & apply, ohh,, epoxy, or maybe silicone or whatever, up inside a place my fingers are too short or too fat to reach up into?

&, YOu know whaaaat? I couldnt think of one single reason why not!

So, I got me some O them sticks they use for doin fingernails up all nice & purty. They use them to shove those nasty Ol cuticles back when theyre doin a manicure, I dunno Why they call it that, it aint no cure, its just a temporary treatment,,I guess its like callin a hairdo a "Permanent".. They hafta call it that or no one would buy it.. I mean WHO in their right mind would pay that kinda Money for a Temporary?

Anyway, Digger,, get yerself a stick,,

Sounds too much like work...... Wink

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #49 - 03/23/14 at 18:23:48

For anyone who is still interested, here is a link to the little project I was working on (see the group of posts starting with post #532):

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69754&page=27

Thanks to all who helped with this little problem!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #50 - 03/24/14 at 18:41:12

You guys see that? You see what he did? He didnt thank those who responded,, OHH NO,, he just thanks those who HELPED.. Now, Im not keepin score or anything,, BUT,, I Think I mita just got left out a little bit,,

Hey! Thats a cool doohickey! If a guy had something with a sketchy voltage regulator he could use that,, I can see that on the back hoe,,Im gonna hafta draw that & save it,,
How do those LEDS work out in daylite? Is the brightness difference enough to tell?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:22:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Need To Weatherproof An LED Mount - But How?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.