Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Need To Weatherproof An LED Mount - But How? (Read 375 times)
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: Need To Weatherproof An LED Mount - But How?
Reply #15 - 11/15/12 at 16:13:39

Would weather caulk like they use for windows and gutters work? Questioning  I know its rated to take UV and usually works with plastic.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #16 - 11/15/12 at 16:34:10

verslagen1 wrote on 11/15/12 at 15:16:11:
well don't coat the wires with that epoxy, I think most are conductive.

Since when verslagen?  Most epoxies is basically just a plastic.  Epoxies have been used for years for potting electronics to seal them from moisture and vibration.

I have used most kinds of off the shelf 2 part epoxies for sealing electronics through the years without any issues at all.  Remember we are talking about epoxy and not something like JB weld or that steel putty or any metallic containing adhesives.  Just a plain ordinary clear UV resistant epoxy.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 11/15/12 at 17:08:54

rfw2003 wrote on 11/15/12 at 16:34:10:
verslagen1 wrote on 11/15/12 at 15:16:11:
well don't coat the wires with that epoxy, I think most are conductive.

Since when verslagen?  Most epoxies is basically just a plastic.  Epoxies have been used for years for potting electronics to seal them from moisture and vibration.

I have used most kinds of off the shelf 2 part epoxies for sealing electronics through the years without any issues at all.  Remember we are talking about epoxy and not something like JB weld or that steel putty or any metallic containing adhesives.  Just a plain ordinary clear UV resistant epoxy.

R.F.

I've have a bad experience, so I'm overly cautious about such things.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 11/15/12 at 17:34:28

T-88 aircraft epoxy is really tough stuff, sticks to just about any roughened surface, and never gets brittle (stays flexible).  I've used it for years and have never seen it ever get brittle or deteriorate at all.  I used it on the Double RYCA build, and I have used it in many places on the gyrocopters I build.
  -- It sets up slowly.
      --- The good news is you have a lot of time to phart around with the joint.  
      --- The bad news is you'd better not be in a hurry.  It takes a few hours to get firm, and a day to get hard and usable.  It keeps getting stronger for a few more days.
  -- It won't shrink.
  -- It will hold up to temporary gas spills, but it is not suitable for use on gas tanks or other situations that have continual exposure to gas.

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/T-88-c27.htm

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 11/15/12 at 17:37:01

I set about 6ft of my wiring harness on fire,.. when one prong of an LED bulb vibrated loose and contacted a bad thing...
...(I was sitting at a traffic light and noticed a funny smell)... (then, smoke billowing from under my seat)... Undecided...

Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 11/15/12 at 18:47:52

SALB wrote on 11/15/12 at 16:13:39:
Would weather caulk like they use for windows and gutters work? Questioning  I know its rated to take UV and usually works with plastic.

SA,

That's a possibility!

Thanks!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 11/15/12 at 18:49:02

Gyrobob wrote on 11/15/12 at 17:34:28:
T-88 aircraft epoxy is really tough stuff, sticks to just about any roughened surface, and never gets brittle (stays flexible).  I've used it for years and have never seen it ever get brittle or deteriorate at all.  I used it on the Double RYCA build, and I have used it in many places on the gyrocopters I build.
  -- It sets up slowly.
      --- The bad news is you'd better not be in a hurry.  It takes a few hours to get firm, and a day to get hard and usable.  It keeps getting stronger for a few more days.
  -- It won't shrink.
  -- It will hold up to temporary gas spills, but it is not suitable for use on gas tanks or other situations that have continual exposure to gas.

Gy,

Now we're cookin' with gas!

I can get this stuff locally, too.  Will think on it!  Looks like it has problems with UV resistance, however.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #22 - 11/15/12 at 21:08:01

Most of the epoxies I tend to fall back to are the air hardening type used for fiber glassing.  The 2 main places I buy online are from fiberglast.com and http://www.uscomposites.com/   Just make sure you get the type that is specified for air hardening and not layering or it will never harden up on you.  The layering epoxies are intended for use in vacuum bagging type techniques.

A google search that will help you out greatly is to search for a potting epoxy.  You will come up with lots of options out there. Ranging from Urethane based systems to real epoxy systems that will cure from a gel like texture to a rock hard like texture.  The biggest benefit of the softer gel cured ones is that it's easier to remove the potting from your electronics should you ever have to service them, where as if you use the hard cure epoxies your better off just doing a total rebuild should something fail.

I have potted with epoxies this using the standard fiber glassing epoxies on projects from low voltage/low current all the way up to high voltage/high current projects and have had no shorts in the potted areas.  In a pinch I have also used the exterior grade 2 part epoxies from the local hobby shops and home supply stores such as Lowe's and Home depot and have had similar results.   Just make sure you use the epoxy and not the polyester resins for doing your potting. While I'm fairly sure the polyester resins will work I've just never used them and can't vouch for how they may react with plastics.  If you do the search for potting epoxies you will come across alot of them that are certified for use by NASA which should tell you something right there on how well epoxies do for insulating and protecting electronic circuits in the most extreme of circumstances.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 11/15/12 at 21:47:58

Don't ya' love that smell of epoxy schmelting in the morning?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 11/16/12 at 01:54:47

So many options. Easily removable? Rubber cement. Semi-permanent? Caulk or RTV. Permanent? Liquid Nails, Epoxy, hobby cement - the list is almost endless.

P.S.
Liquid Nails is slightly flexible when dry so if there needs to be some give that won't rip free like RTV or caulk or every other silicone based sealant, that would be a good choice.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #25 - 11/16/12 at 06:21:36

Digger wrote on 11/15/12 at 18:49:02:
  -- It sets up slowly.
  -- It won't shrink.

Gy,

I can get this stuff locally, too.  Will think on it!  Looks like it has problems with UV resistance, however.

UV would be an issue if the whole joint were exposed.  95% of your joint is hidden.  If you are concerned about that last 5%, put a thin layer of touchup paint, or black RTV, or even nail polish over it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 11/16/12 at 07:05:28

If weight is no matter, or if you could slip another piece of pipe inside to fill most of the void, then drill a hole on each end & pump it full of silicone.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #27 - 11/16/12 at 08:15:09

rfw2003 wrote on 11/15/12 at 21:08:01:
Most of the epoxies I tend to fall back to are the air hardening type used for fiber glassing.  The 2 main places I buy online are from fiberglast.com and http://www.uscomposites.com/   Just make sure you get the type that is specified for air hardening and not layering or it will never harden up on you.  The layering epoxies are intended for use in vacuum bagging type techniques.

A google search that will help you out greatly is to search for a potting epoxy.  You will come up with lots of options out there. Ranging from Urethane based systems to real epoxy systems that will cure from a gel like texture to a rock hard like texture.  The biggest benefit of the softer gel cured ones is that it's easier to remove the potting from your electronics should you ever have to service them, where as if you use the hard cure epoxies your better off just doing a total rebuild should something fail.

I have potted with epoxies this using the standard fiber glassing epoxies on projects from low voltage/low current all the way up to high voltage/high current projects and have had no shorts in the potted areas.  In a pinch I have also used the exterior grade 2 part epoxies from the local hobby shops and home supply stores such as Lowe's and Home depot and have had similar results.   Just make sure you use the epoxy and not the polyester resins for doing your potting. While I'm fairly sure the polyester resins will work I've just never used them and can't vouch for how they may react with plastics.  If you do the search for potting epoxies you will come across alot of them that are certified for use by NASA which should tell you something right there on how well epoxies do for insulating and protecting electronic circuits in the most extreme of circumstances.

R.F.

rf,

Good stuff....thanks!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #28 - 11/16/12 at 08:17:12

Cavi Mike wrote on 11/16/12 at 01:54:47:
So many options. Easily removable? Rubber cement. Semi-permanent? Caulk or RTV. Permanent? Liquid Nails, Epoxy, hobby cement - the list is almost endless.

P.S.
Liquid Nails is slightly flexible when dry so if there needs to be some give that won't rip free like RTV or caulk or every other silicone based sealant, that would be a good choice.

Thanks, Cavi.

I'm thinkin' about going with Marine Goop, thinned with some toluene (if I can find it).  I've already got the Marine Goop.....

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #29 - 11/16/12 at 08:18:02

Gyrobob wrote on 11/16/12 at 06:21:36:
Digger wrote on 11/15/12 at 18:49:02:
  -- It sets up slowly.
  -- It won't shrink.

Gy,

UV would be an issue if the whole joint were exposed.  95% of your joint is hidden.  If you are concerned about that last 5%, put a thin layer of touchup paint, or black RTV, or even nail polish over it.

Great point....you are absolutely right!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:20:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Need To Weatherproof An LED Mount - But How?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.