Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Announcing New Moderators (Read 307 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Announcing New Moderators
11/14/12 at 20:49:51

Say "Well met and hail good fellows" to our departing moderators Suggo and Bouletard, both of which served long and well here on Suzuki Savage.com -- they have rolled on now to other things.

Say hello to the newest generation of moderators, Serowbot and Dave.  Both were picked because they were genuinely nice guys, very patient and knowledgeable about the Savage engine and running gear.

Verslagen (who remains) gets a very special thanks because of the most excellent organization of the Tech Section that he has done, mostly all by his lonesome.   He is very good at that stuff, BTW.

The rest of your elderly, worn out & barely still kicking third generation moderator staff will now quietly go seek their rocking chair up by Bill and Justin up on the porch where they will make only occasional senseless comments1.  

Footnotes:

1  Example Senseless Comment corrected with GyroBob's actual cost inputs:  Original configuration RYCA modified motorcycle costs $2-$3,000 for the base motorcycle and (corrected) $4,200 worth of parts from RYCA, wheel bits, tires, paint shipping and fabbed pieces, and endless man hours of dedicated personal fabrication time to create a very visually appealing motorcycle.

Shame you can only ride it for 30mins to an hour before it attempts to rearrange your wrists and your legs knees and butt into pain racked contortions.

The first generation RYCAs are showing up on Craigslists now, for about $7,000 asking price (cost of parts -- yeah right,  apparently including the original bike as a "part").

« Last Edit: 11/15/12 at 08:45:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Re: Announcing New Moderators
Reply #1 - 11/14/12 at 21:15:56

Congrats guys...hope robot can still post up the stuff he does.  He puts up some of the funniest stuff around...makes me laugh every time Grin

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 11/14/12 at 21:29:00

New Moderators -- log out and log back in, go to the very first page of SuzukiSavage.com and look down at the very bottom.

Yep, Moderator Section -- a little world of our very own.

Champagne and dancing girls are waiting next to the hot tub, so y'all come on in ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #3 - 11/14/12 at 23:55:07

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/14/12 at 20:49:51:
Footnotes:

1  Example:  Original configuration RYCA modified motorcycle costs $2-4,000 for the base motorcycle and $7,000 worth of parts from RYCA and endless man hours of dedicated personal fabrication time to create a very visually appealing motorcycle.

Shame you can only ride it for 30mins to an hour before it attempts to rearrange your wrists and your legs knees and butt into pain racked contortions.

The first generation RYCAs are showing up on Craigslists now, for about $7,000 asking price (cost of parts).

Definitely an example of a senseless comment.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 11/15/12 at 01:31:10

caseyLA wrote on 11/14/12 at 23:55:07:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/14/12 at 20:49:51:
Footnotes:

1  Example:  Original configuration RYCA modified motorcycle costs $2-4,000 for the base motorcycle and $7,000 worth of parts from RYCA and endless man hours of dedicated personal fabrication time to create a very visually appealing motorcycle.

The first generation RYCAs are showing up on Craigslists now, for about $7,000 asking price (cost of parts).

Definitely an example of a senseless comment.

Yes, a good example of a senseless comment.  I don't even have $6,900 invested in parts for mine,... I have not broken through $11,000 total yet.

Grin

Both those amounts are true because,... actually,.... including the original cost for the 2002 Savage, the RYCA kit, and a group of things like paint and extra (optional put 'em on only because I like 'em) doodads, I have a little over $4k in the bike altogether.  Quite a hoot.  Quite a grin/dollar ratio.

« Last Edit: 11/15/12 at 09:25:14 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 11/15/12 at 03:36:54

Well I wish I was techno enuff to unnertand it......dang. Gots 2500 on my scooter already, what, 5 months since zero off the floor. Perhaps I should just jump to the rocker chair board and call it good, I guess it depends, eh?

Well, in the spirit of participation and dedication to the best bike I've ever owned, uh, mu second one, thanks to the dearly departed, and too, to the new undertakers  Grin

(I) Can't promise to be more than bump on your 400 mile ride seat....
butt that counts for sumtin I reckon, eh?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 11/15/12 at 04:25:22

HAIL THE NEW MODERATORS!!!

Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/15/12 at 05:10:57

Oh, my goodness.   You mean people on Craigslist lie?

Who woulda thunk it?   Perhaps he counted his original bike as a "part"?

Gyro, your costs might be doubled since you are building two of them at the same time.

So how much does ONE (1) RYCA really cost to build, really.  Fabs, mods, shipping, welding, wheel building, new tires, painting and all the other little stuff?   Got an estimate?

Just to set the record straight since them Craigslist people lie.     (them sorry sorry lying dogs)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 11/15/12 at 07:42:42

OF said, "So how much does ONE (1) RYCA really cost to build, really.  Fabs, mods, shipping, welding, wheel building, new tires, painting and all the other little stuff?   Got an estimate?"|

Yes.  If you count everything I have spent on it, probably $4,200.  Maybe $3,400 if you don't count things like:
-- doing the paint over and over and over again just to correct screw-ups and sometimes just to experiment.  I've probably spent $200 on Duplicolor and other rattle cans so far.  If I had it to do over (knowing what I know now), a can of bondo, two cans of primer, three cans of color, and a can of Spraytek 2k would do it, maybe $75.
-- digital flasher
-- extra LED brake lights
-- ad-libbed smog system parts
-- Avon Speedmaster tires (for a 1960s look),.. my buddy used Goodyear Deluxe Champions for the same reason.
-- bar end turn signals
-- parts for underseat tool kit storage
-- parts to redo the fork seals
-- carb rebuild kits
-- K&N fuel filters
The install for all these parts is in the Double RYCA build thread.

The welding expense was near zero because I have the equipment.  If someone REALLY wanted to redo the front mount on the battery box to get more room like I did, the welding would cost $50 to $100 and you'd have to take the frame to a shop.  An alternative would be to make one out of cheap strap steel or aluminum from Home Depot (or some workshop scrap), bend it to shape, and rivet it to the frame with cheapo pop rivets.  That is not a high-stress area.

Also, you can save a lot if you don't go to a larger diameter rear tire like we did.  That way you don't have to pay RYCA to cut into the swingarm,.. just use the stock swingarm and smaller diameter rear tire.

Yes, double the cost because we built two bikes, but we divided the cost in half.  Also he spent some extra on a Li-Ion battery.  I want one too.

On a bobber project a guy did last year in LaGrange, he used about $30 of Rustoleum rattle can automotive paint for the whole project.  Home Depot stocks it, as does Autozone, etc.  
-- A can of automotive black for the frame, etc.  Gray primer for EVERYTHING else, followed up by clear gloss engine paint.
-- It looks good and there are several colors of primer available. (white, light gray, gray, dark gray, black, brown, reddish brown, tan, greenish-yellow, etc.)  
-- I saw it when it was first done, and appeared to be quite professionally done,.. probably because he put a lot of knowledgeable effort into preparing the surfaces, and because he rubbed it out.
-- I have no idea how it has held up over the past year, but that clear gloss engine paint is pretty tough.  It holds up well except for direct gas spills.  The instructions aren't as simple as plain rattle can color paint, though,.. the timing of recoats is an issue.

Anyway, if you are on a very tight budget for the paint job,... a little know how, a lot of elbow grease, and a few rattle cans can do an impressive job, at least initially.

« Last Edit: 11/15/12 at 09:30:23 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 11/15/12 at 08:14:04

Thanks to our departing Mods for a job well done, and thanks to the new Mods for stepping up!

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #10 - 11/15/12 at 13:02:45

i thought sourbot was already a mod.

dangit, i was nice to him for nothing.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/15/12 at 15:09:16

No,  he was a knowledgeable and a very nice guy, so now he is a moderator.

(see, we pick them carefully to give you as much good mileage as we can)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/15/12 at 16:37:26

You guys are going to get the List's automatic spam filter all excited again, throwing around them B words in Rubber Side Down.

You can say them in Cafe and in Politics and Religion, they don't get the quite the same reaction as they do in the place where we answer the newbie's questions.

Now, how do you shut off this stupid rotating flashing red alarm light .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/15/12 at 17:20:18

misterbbq wrote on 11/15/12 at 13:02:45:
i thought sourbot was already a mod.

dangit, i was nice to him for nothing.

sourbot, huh?...   I'm makin' a note of that, Mr B... ...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 11/15/12 at 17:32:28

There goes the neighborhood.  Cheesy

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:26:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › Announcing New Moderators

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.