Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
what's in store for us.... (Read 405 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

what's in store for us....
11/14/12 at 15:59:57

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: what's in store for us....
Reply #1 - 11/14/12 at 16:57:26

That would never happen here,.. .oh, wait,.. my mom waited 5 months for aorta surgery,.. and 4 months for hip replacement, and 6 months for the other hip...
Then she nearly died because they double dosed her with blood thinners...
.. and she has private insurance plus medicare plus medicare part B,C,D, whatever...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/14/12 at 17:02:29

how did that happen? I've never waited. My mother in law has procedures, she never waited. In fact, i don't know anyone who went thru what you described.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 11/14/12 at 19:46:16

Ever had to experience the ER as your your health care "provider"?   If you don't have a bonafide employer provided plan, or are a $millionaire+ who can afford your own independent healthcare, YOU WAIT!   And when the surgery gets scheduled and completed (assuming you don't die in the waiting room), it costs 4x, and the bill is rarely fully repaid according to statistics.   Like most other congressional ideas, it's insanity, that any 6th grader with basic math skills could see thru.   But again, we are dealing with congress.   Read the big picture...   by forcing more people into healthcare insurance, more money gets funneled up to the top income brackets, who own the healthcare stock investments, who contribute to campaigns.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 11/14/12 at 20:06:26

Lets get it right, guys.  The Elephants want private industry cause the managers and economic backers make most of the money ...the donkeys want the gov to run things cause they can bloat the staffing with politcal appointments.  I just want really excellent drs. who look like a million dollars..cause that's what they make. Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #5 - 11/14/12 at 20:15:15

The article is ironic, considering that our system is rife with examples of delayed/denied care. And stories of NO care - never forget the many millions with no medical insurance in this country who, if they get seriously ill, simply resign themselves to die.

When you have middle class Americans fighting for the right of insurance companies to screw them, we are seriously in trouble as a nation..

An American Disgrace

Source: "Indianapolis Ledger"

<snip>

A vascular surgeon in Indianapolis told me about a man in his fifties who'd had a large abdominal aortic aneurysm. Doctors knew for months that it was in danger of rupturing, but since he wasn't insured, his local private hospital wouldn't fix it. Finally, it indeed began to rupture. Rupture is an often fatal development, but the man -- in pain, with the blood flow to his legs gone -- made it to an emergency room. Then the hospital put him in an ambulance to Indiana University, arguing that the patient's condition was "too complex." My friend got him through, but he's very lucky to be alive.
Another friend, an oncologist in Marietta, Ohio, told me about three women in their forties and fifties whom he was treating for advanced cervical cancer. A Pap smear would have caught their cancers far sooner. But since they didn't have insurance, their cancers were recognized only when they caused profuse bleeding..

In Praise of the Canadian Health Care System

Source: "Toronto Star"

<snip>

People hear one anecdote about delayed or denied care and they use that to tar the entire system. I have heard the same anecdotal garbage about the British health system and the Veterans Administration. Yet most of the people who are in those systems would not give them up for a fistful of vouchers.

It's like people who refuse to wear seatbelts because they "heard of a guy who died because he wore his/lived because he didn't.
Quebec Quality Health Care

I had been experiencing a pain in the left side of my chest, not near the surface, but deep under the surface for at least a week.  I was growing increasingly nervous about it, scrutinizing my breathing, doing repeated breast self-examinations for a lump, and so on.  Today the pain seemed to have spread across my chest so I walked the four miles to the hospital.

Many Americans have heard that our health care system is a shambles, that wait-times are outrageous, that very sick people have to wait months for important tests, that the care we receive is substandard, and so on.

Canadians know this is rubbish, and that our health care system (whose existence is threatened by the right wing-conservative gov't that just got re-elected) is one of the greatest achievements of the country.

To demonstrate this, I want to tell you about my visit to the hospital today.  I signed in to the Emergency Triage area at 1:20.  Within 10 minutes, I was given a preliminary diagnostic briefing by two triage nurses who took my history, my blood pressure, gave me 3 Advil and checked my heartrate.

I was then taken immediately into an examination room in the "Minor Treatment" area, and given a gown by a nurse who explained that she was going to return in a few moments to perform an EKG on me.  She did the procedure and gave me a copy of the print-out (I asked for it), telling me that everything seemed fine with my heart.

Within 15 minutes, another nurse came in and took several tubes of blood from me and chatted with me about eyebrow waxing.

Not longer after, the doctor came in and she and I chatted about was going on with me.  She did a breast exam on me and told me that she was ruling out heart problems and that my left breast seemed fine.  I asked her what her view is on mammograms and the controversy surrounding them.  We chatted about this for several minutes.  She told me to put my bra and shirt on, go sit on the chairs in the waiting area, and wait for the results of the bloodwork.  About 10 minutes later, she came to tell me that she had changed her mind: she had decided to do a chest x-ray to rule out anything going on underneath.

I went for the chest x-ray about 30 minutes later, then I returned to the waiting area.

After about 20 minutes, the doctor called my name and motioned for me to come behind the desk area where she was seated.  She pulled out a seat and proceeded to show me the computer charts she had on-screen which itemized my hemoglobin count, my BP, and so on, as well as the chest x-rays themselves.  She confirmed that nothing like pneumonia was showing up on my lungs, and pointed to the area where cartlidge which she believed tobe inflamed is located.  She then confirmed that, yes, those were my boobs on-screen and, extolled the virtues of a good bra.

After this, I went into the nearby washroom, got myself dressed, and walked out the automatic doors, feeling so fortunate to live in a country where there is a safety net, where citizens value the well-being of their neighbours, and the dogma of "self-sufficiency" and "personal responsibility" do not drive the distribution of social goods.  The clock just inside the doors told me that it was 5:10.  I had been there for less than four hours.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/15/12 at 04:01:59

What country can you go to and get quick..care?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 11/15/12 at 06:27:59

Drifter wrote on 11/15/12 at 04:01:59:

Easy. Inida. You pay @ the door as you enter. Simple, McDonalds has it, why not your doctor/hospital.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/15/12 at 07:42:19

Our healthcare is one of the most inefficient systems ever devised.

My wife had to wait four months for hip surgery, everybody I know of that has had to have elective surgery has had to wait months.. It takes at least two weeks to set up a physical with my Doctor! Then you have to get a referal, then wait another month for a appointment with that referal!! I have insurance, but I get pushed aside and billed extra if I go to the hospital for any reason. Meanwhile those who know how to use the system of medicaid go to the front of the line..

Check out the billing dept of a major hospital, think about a 1000 different insurance policies, 10 different government programs, with more private insurance tagged onto them! Now add on tens of thousands of coverage limitations associated with all that insurance! Talk about red tape!

Ok, we haven't even addressed the care of our elderly, or should I say lack of care.. First of all Medicare is not taken at most longterm care facilitys, you must spend down all your assets and go on medicaid if you do not have longterm care insurance (Most do not).. And folks if you think a nursing home is a nice place to be, just pick one, go visit for more than one day! Understaffed, undertrained, and in many cases non-caring staff, taking care (NOT), of hundreds of folks who did nothing but grow old, sitting in their own feces, and wishing death would take them!
And when death does, they will be penniless, maybe enough to be cremated and have some relative dump your ashes in the local park...

The only people that do not have to wait for care are those who have enough money to go to India, or are on medicaid and go directly to the emergency room for a runny nose.. Our system is a joke to the rest of the world, a bad joke, because some of us actually still think we are number one.... Angry

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 11/15/12 at 12:11:25

srinath wrote on 11/15/12 at 06:27:59:

Easy. Inida. You pay @ the door as you enter. Simple, McDonalds has it, why not your doctor/hospital.
Cool.
Srinath.

Romania... however there is a catch..

you have to "tip" everyone
... and its only optional if you want to live.
... and you do it on the spot for each service ( including the person that changes your sheets)
.. and you do it as you leave.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 11/15/12 at 16:12:46

Never had a problem with medical care in Canada. I've gotten hurt a few times on trips in British Columbia, always attended to swiftly and courteously. Same when I was stationed in Spain, got better care off base than on. Got food poisoning in Venice Italy, seen right away. My $130K accident stateside would have cost me $3K equivalent in Germany, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland... and that was just the cost for a broken shoulder to be repaired. 10 days post-wreck (they had to rebreak the humerus and all 4 ball fractures, still isn't right 4 years later).  Angry

Got hit in the face/ear junction at work last year by a flying cold chisel. I sat in the ER for 3 hours with blood running down the side of my face. To have a half-assed batch of stitches put in. Cost the company $4500. Having the stitches out was another $900 and something.

Next time I get a major cut, I'm just gluing it shut. Surgical glue is $8 at Walgreens, hydrogen peroxide a buck and a half, a band-aid is what, 25 cents?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #11 - 11/15/12 at 16:30:14

20 years ago my mom was in the hospital for a day. They charged $8.00 for a bandaid...and that was 20 years ago. Outrageous!

Yeah, we don't need any universal single payer healthcare...The insurance companies manage our healthcare for us. They know what's best.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 11/15/12 at 18:06:33

Webster is still certain that none of this ever happens...  
We're all makin' it up...
We have the best healthcare in the world... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 11/15/12 at 18:14:06

In india that is true in a gubbamint hospital. Private hospitals they see anyone taking a tip/bribe, they will get fired.
BTW in singapore, a country that has taken somethings to an extreme, there is a law against tipping. Restaurants inside the country dont even say it. Its the law. @ international locations full of tourists, they have signs that say no tipping. Seriously I'd like to implement that in the US.
Cool.
Srinath.

Pine wrote on 11/15/12 at 12:11:25:
srinath wrote on 11/15/12 at 06:27:59:

Cool.
Srinath.

Romania... however there is a catch..

you have to "tip" everyone
... and its only optional if you want to live.
... and you do it on the spot for each service ( including the person that changes your sheets)
.. and you do it as you leave.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 11/15/12 at 18:38:38

no tipping. Seriously I'd like to implement that in the US.

I almost agree,, let the restaurant owners pay them fair wages,,
But,, they KNOW crappy service = lousy tip.. Sadly, excellent service is no guarantee of a fair tip..
So,, I guess your idea is worth a shot,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 12:17:52

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › what's in store for us....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.