Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pines question of the month- powdercoat (Read 54 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Pines question of the month- powdercoat
11/14/12 at 06:49:08

I have read posts in the last few months on how rattlecan paint will not hold up to gas. My question is does powder coat hold for the purpose of our gas tanks?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Pines question of the month- powdercoat
Reply #1 - 11/14/12 at 07:19:34

My experience with powdercoat is as follows:

It holds up pretty well and is easy to apply.  It is a bit more durable than paint -but it can chip and scratch.
It is not good at filling or flowing into seams.  I have had car wheels powdercoated, and I have bought factory trailer wheels that are powdercoated - and the rust starts to show at the seam where the inner part joins the outer rim.  When the powder is applied it covers the seam - but when heated and melted it does not flow into the seam.  For this applicaiton I always take some matching paint and flow it into the seam after the powdercoating is done.  (This should not be a problem on a Savage Tank - except for the mounting tabs.)
Powdercoating can fade if left in the sun.  I have a mailbox that was powdercoated and the silver box is fine - the red flag is now pink after being in the sun for 5 years.....but there is not any rust.
Powdercoating is not an extremely shiny paint - it is more of a satin finish.  It can be clearcoated with paint or clear powder and the shine becomes better.
It is resistant to fuel lifting the paint - but I am not sure about staining as I have never had anything powdercoated that is near fuel.  I just ran by a local place that does a lot of powdercoating for cars.  They said they have coated intake manifolds and they hold up well, and they have done a few of the small fuel tanks for race cars - but have not had any follow up.  They think it wold hold up OK....but don't know about staining if the fuel was spilled on it frequently.

While I was at the powdercoaters I saw some of their fencing that shows the seam problem.  The powdercoat is electrostatic and just like chrome plating - it is not pulled into seams very well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:23:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pines question of the month- powdercoat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.