Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jam's 1987 Suzuki Savage Project. Bobberish maybe? (Read 641 times)
jamforthelamb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jam's 1987 Suzuki Savage Project. Bobberish maybe?
11/13/12 at 19:59:30

Hey All,

New member here, but lurked for a while before signing up. There are actually two Suzuki Savage/Boulevard/LS650/S40's in the family, but my dad's '09 is the pretty boy, where as my '87 is pretty rough around the edges. Got the bike in trade for a Honda CB750 that had frustrating carb issues (so frustrating that we went from 4 carbs down to 1  Shocked  ). The P.O. went over the issues the bike had with me before the trade, and even the though I knew the bike was rough (rougher then the Honda honestly), I liked my dad's '09 so much that I went for it. Naturally the bike was running when the P.O. was showing it to me, but as soon as it came into MY actually possession the bike decided it wasn't going to run anymore. An oil change, and one raptor petcock later that took care of that problem (must of drained 2 gallons of gas out of the crankcase  Roll Eyes  ). We know it likely has the common oil leak from the head plug, the steering bearing feels tight, have a fork seal leaking, and a few other minor things that aren't coming to mind currently. Cosmetically speaking it's missing the toolbox/side battery cover, has lots of corrosion all over, and the tank has a few dents in it. My intention is to do a mild "bob" to it, meaning a different rear fender, better solo seat, and license plate relocate with brake light. Anyhow, I can add more to what I've done/want to do/champagne dreams on a beer budget later. I know what you all want...pics or it didn't happen right? Here we go.

Since these photos (taken very shortly after getting the bike) I've removed the passenger seat, the chrome rails and sissy bar, plugged all the holes those left with black plugs, relocated the rectifier in the air box, and relocated the turn signals to the plate area using the Saxman method. I'm wanting to tuck the wires for the signals and the brake/plate lights under the fender, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Basically just doing stuff on the cheap to make the bike more pleasing to me until I get the parts to make it how I really want. I'm sure there'll be more to come. Same Savage time, Same Savage Channel  Tongue

Mine: 1987 Savage. Raptor Petcock, Drilled Exhaust.
Dads: 2009 Boulevard. Raptor Petcock.
  IP Logged
jamforthelamb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Jam's 1987 Suzuki Savage Project. Bobberish ma
Reply #1 - 11/13/12 at 20:01:28

Just as an aside before anyone mentions it, the fuel filter got trashed with the stock petcock. It was bad from what we could tell any how  Smiley.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/13/12 at 21:08:50

Look forward to evolution...   Welcome... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 11/14/12 at 03:39:03

The tank I have from an old GS is that exact color and has that exact Suzuki sticker on it. I bring this up because it finally just hit me how far along bikes have come since 1987 yet the Savage hasn't changed at all. I'd love to make a collage of the GS evolving beside the LS that's pretty much just had a few different paint schemes.

By the way, your foot-pegs are on the wrong sides.

IP Logged
jamforthelamb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/14/12 at 10:52:55

Thanks Serowbot!

Thanks Cavi, and good catch. Actually changed out the pegs today, so it's no longer an issue  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/14/12 at 11:09:49

I just figured he rode backwards..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/14/12 at 11:19:19

I thought he was just short.

WWW   IP Logged
jamforthelamb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/17/12 at 16:42:51

Minor update. Saxman rear signal mod performed, chrome rails and passenger seat stuff removed, rectifier moved to airbox. Planning on tucking the rest of the wires inside the fender, and eventually going to a Sparto style tail light with the turn signals mounted to it ala Denim. You can also see the replacment pegs in this photo that replaced the junked, installed on the wrong sides OEM ones.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 11/17/12 at 17:17:33

Kool Beans Jam!!!!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 11/17/12 at 19:10:09

I think we should have more go-kart pics..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 11/18/12 at 04:39:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/17/12 at 19:10:09:
I think we should have more go-kart pics..

I'm with you JOG! I can't wait till my boy is old enough to get him a serious go-cart. (so I can ride it ofcourse)  Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/18/12 at 07:22:25

Well,, SOMEbody has to make sure its safe,,

IP Logged
jamforthelamb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/18/12 at 15:53:42

Thanks guys! I'll see about putting some Gokart pics in the Cafe forum.

Got the drag bar and risers installed today, also worked on a little of the corrosion on the bike.

Chose black sockets because I'm going to be painting the fork lowers, and a lot of other stuff black over time. Will take the "5/8th's" markings off of them eventually, but thought it was kinda funny for now.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #13 - 11/19/12 at 06:05:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/18/12 at 07:22:25:
Well,, SOMEbody has to make sure its safe,,

Here,hold my beer,watch this........ Grin

That Sparto works to cover all the holes from the stock taillight too.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
jamforthelamb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/30/13 at 19:02:39

Hey Guys.

So I have a confession to make. I NEARLY traded my Savage for a non-thumper bike  Shocked , but due to the generosity of the other bike's owner he sold it to me for a very fair price, so now I have two bikes  Grin. Here's the new bike (I may put more pics in the appropriate forum).

SO, now that I have a bike that is pretty much 100% how I want it, I can tear the Savage down a little deeper without losing any riding time. Yay!

Question. I've noticed that there are pretty much no carb rebuild kits for my '87 unless I want to buy it one piece at a time. I'm guessing that my best bet would be to buy Lancer's projet kit and just clean the carb really well and re-jet as needed (I plan on performance mods later anyhow)? The issue I'm chasing is that on occasion the bike's idle will decay to the point of stalling after being warmed up. I already checked the valves on a recommendation, and they seem to be adjusted properly. I have not had the carb off since I purchased the bike, but it was adjusted by a tech to make sure it would pass emissions.

Thanks!
-jftl

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:33:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jam's 1987 Suzuki Savage Project. Bobberish maybe?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.