oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: 6 new bikes from Honda
Reply #45 - 12/14/12 at 08:36:32

Quote:
I'll ALWAYS love the LS650, but I gotta tell ya, if I can find a 400-650cc naked/Standard that fits my short arse, I honestly dunno if I I can go back to a Cruiser

Agree. The thing I like least about my bike is the cruiser riding position. I'm much more comfortable with my feet right under my butt and with a higher seat. Spent a lot of time on dirt bikes with seats that were way up in the air, and even though I'm kinda short, not being able to sit on a stopped bike with both feet flat on the ground never bothered me much.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 12/14/12 at 17:40:41

triumph bonneville,

nuff said

Cool

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #47 - 12/14/12 at 18:15:05

LostArtist wrote on 12/14/12 at 17:40:41:
triumph bonneville,

nuff said

Cool

You're readin my mind. My favorite motorcycle of all time. But I don't have the 10 grand that one of the new classics costs OTD :'(
I'll be puttin' around on my S40 for the foreseeable future. Not really complaining though. At my age I'm happy to still be able to ride anything.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #48 - 12/14/12 at 19:30:42

I give Triumph very little consideration, for the simple and pragmatic reason that the nearest dealership is 200 miles away. Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Harley dealerships are no more than 35 miles away, and Yamaha about 70.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #49 - 12/14/12 at 22:07:52

We've got the Japanese Big 4, several HD dealerships, Victory, Triumph, BMW, CanAm... several of each within less than 50 miles of the farm.

There are a whopping 2, yes TWO, non-cruisers built within the last 20 years that I would buy. Both Kawasaki UJMs (universal Japanese motorcycles), the KZ1000P (police bike) and the ZRX Eddie Lawson replica (either displacement).

Other choices? Harley Softail Springer Classic or FX Softail Springer; Kawasaki VN800A or Drifter, 1500 Classic or Drifter; Honda Shadow 1100 ACE. That's it, no European bikes (modern Beemers don't do it for me and I've had a few Triumphs, pass), no Suzukis, no garbage barges (touring bikes), no repli-racers.

Truest first choices? Pre-49 HD Big Twin, 1947 Chief w/80" kit, Indian 4 cylinder, BMW R51 w/750cc conversion... you know, old stuff.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #50 - 12/14/12 at 22:21:01

Let's face it boys and girls--we are motorcycle people. I love the look of the new Mustangs and Challengers. They have the lines of the cars I grew up with. There is a 1978 1000 Gold Wing sitting 10 miles away for $500. The guy says no low balls. IT RUNS. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. I'm thinking of taking it. But could I sell my Savage? I don't think so.
We all have different opinions of what to ride, but we want to ride. It's in the looks, the sound, the memories, our prejudices. I could listen to the ring ding of a Kawasaki two stroke triple all day, but the sound of the intake was what blew me away. ABS, traction control, plastic, naked, faired--I've seen some ugly bikes in my day, but I'd love to ride 'em all just to say I did. And we have to admit everybody builds good bikes now. Maybe not to our particular taste, but good. And China is reverse engineering better bikes every day. I can't buy a Chinese bike yet, but my daughter may some day get the yearning for a 1500cc Hong Kong Special Tourer for $3000.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #51 - 12/15/12 at 03:45:25

Yes we are Motorcycle People ... and that's one of the beautiful things about being associated with this particular website! LS650 owners and former LS650 owners alike, we are ALL Motorcycle People!

I forgot the Bonneville ... rode a friends 2010 SE last summer ... nice Bike! No dealership here in S.J. Nfld. though ...

WD ... always liked the VN800A too ... though as rare as hen's teeth around these parts ... the 800B is common, but me no likey as much ...

Wish Kawi would re-introduce the W650 ... and why it sells the W800 in most of the rest of the world except North America is beyond me? Maybe if Honda has a success here with the new "Retro" CB1100, Kawasaki will reconsider?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #52 - 12/15/12 at 04:42:43

Hopefully the CB1100 will do well and they'll make a new CB650   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 12/17/12 at 06:19:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/14/12 at 06:18:17:
TRaction is traction, the lack thereof is dangerous for everyone, small bikes are considered starter bikes by many, 250 could equate to novice,,

I maintain the beginner needs the best tools, regardless of the job, the experienced can manage with less.

As mentioned earlier in this thread....We are motorcycle people and most of use learned to ride without ABS, Safety Switches, and Automatic petcocks.  We have learned what a front brake does and doesn't do.

But......for the casual or beginner rider....ABS may not be a bad thing.  Even the superexotic sport bikes are getting ABS and Traction Control to enable the bikes to be even faster.

For those who doubt that ABS might be a good thing for the market and public in general....watch this video and note how many of these bikes went down when the front wheel locked and skidded out from under them.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82308554#

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #54 - 12/17/12 at 13:52:38

There is one thing in the way of safety issues that I just thought of and agree with. The bike makers got together with only one thought: How can we make all our bikes safer? So they reduced the top speed on an over-the-counter street bike to a maximum of 183 mph.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #55 - 12/17/12 at 14:01:46

Boofer wrote on 12/17/12 at 13:52:38:
There is one thing in the way of safety issues that I just thought of and agree with. The bike makers got together with only one thought: How can we make all our bikes safer? So they reduced the top speed on an over-the-counter street bike to a maximum of 183 mph.  Wink

That speed limit, which is actually 300 km/hr, came about in response to fears that the European Union would impose speed limits on motorcycles. The makers decided on a "preemptive strike" lest they be faced with differing speed limits in different countries.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #56 - 12/17/12 at 14:13:47

You guys just don't get sarcasm, do you?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #57 - 12/19/12 at 05:28:57

Boofer wrote on 12/17/12 at 14:13:47:
You guys just don't get sarcasm, do you?

I think that is why the internet people invented the LOL thingy...... Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:20:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › 6 new bikes from Honda

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.