PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: 6 new bikes from Honda
Reply #30 - 12/13/12 at 03:29:31

Yes, ABS on a motorcycle may not be advantageous for off-road Riding ... BUT, for street Riding it is an advantage for 99% of the conditions a typical street Rider will encounter ... ABS will not and cannot prevent ALL accidents from happening ... Rider training, skill level and experience are ALL still very important!

As for wet ... I can assure you from personal experience that motorcycle ABS brakes work VERY well on wet pavement ...

Also, to the question about ABS & cable actuated brakes ... I assume you mean as in the cable actuated rear drum that many Cruisers still employ (as the LS650)? Nope, ABS requires hydraulic operated disc brakes and is usually installed for the front ... the CBR250R we have on our Motorcycle Training Course has the ABS on the front brake which is hydraulic disc.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #31 - 12/13/12 at 04:44:07

The federal dept of transportation did mandate right side foot brake, left side foot shift for 1975 model year motorcycles sold in the USA. That's why early 74 built Ironheads are right shift, left brake like old Brit bikes, and mid 74 up are like the Japanese bikes.

ABS can self-disable with age. The reluctor rings get dirt packed or corroded and then you have normal brakes. I have yet to drive an ABS equipped semi that didn't have the dash light come on every time the truck was driven in the rain... The rear drum only ABS on my 1994 Ranger (202+ thousand miles on it) still works, and in fact the truck still has its o.e.m. issue shoes in it, with friction material left (drums still have the factory retainer washers).

Having ridden bikes with linked brakes (Honda) and with ABS (BMW), I don't much care for them on a bike. But since my first 5 bikes had rigid frames and foot clutch/hand shift... Tank mounted shifter is as safe as the shifter in your car. Shifting directly off the HD tranny, which is behind your leg, takes some getting used to but with practice becomes just as safe.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #32 - 12/13/12 at 05:13:06

Cavi Mike wrote on 11/14/12 at 03:32:33:
ABS on a 250? You gotta be one horrible rider if you need ABS on a 250.

You can be a highly experienced rider, but if you happen on a patch of black ice you can lock the front and be on all fours before you realize it.

Cavi Mike wrote on 11/14/12 at 03:32:33:
Mandatory? What are you, my nanny? If you don't have the skill to control your brakes, you shouldn't be riding. You have no right to force your ineptitude on me and  the rest of the world.

I am NOT your nanny, but stop kidding yourself, you are welcome to uncap coke bottles with your teeth if that's what you like, but don't go and cry at your dentist's if your teeth are cracked!
I REFUSE to pay a single dime for your rehab simply because you think you are a "superior being"... Angry

By the way, I have been commuting in sub-freezing weather the last week or so and I can guarantee ABS will kick in and save you from a low-side even at walking speed.
I ride my 250Kg.BMW to work; my Savage is now a "sunny, dry weather only" bike.
At 53, I'm too young to make fatal mistakes and too old to die young... Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #33 - 12/13/12 at 06:16:41

I'm kinda with cavi on this one. Regardless of the merits or lack of same regarding ABS on motorcycles, I get irritated when the government tells me what I have to do for my own good cause I'm too stupid or irresponsible to be in charge of my own fate.

Getting back to the original topic of this thread though - the MSRP of the 500F is (non ABS) is a couple of hundred dollars less that a brand new S40. If I was shopping for a NEW bike right now the Suzuki wouldn't even be in the running.

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #34 - 12/13/12 at 09:04:57

I know this went totally off subject, but I'm with Cavi.  I'm so sick of the government thinking they know what's best for everyone.   What happened to freedom and liberty?  Mandating TPMS because people can't be bothered to check tire pressure, requiring back up cameras and anti-crash BS because people can't put down the phone and pay attention when driving, not allowing people to have trans-fats in their food or big sodas.

MAYBE the world is a safer place, but hardly better.  Angry

Kick Big Brother out, bring back Natural Selection!  Cool

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #35 - 12/13/12 at 09:09:51

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither

— Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 12/13/12 at 09:23:04

Charon wrote on 11/15/12 at 06:07:32:
Just this morning (11/15/12) CBS morning news aired a spot saying the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) wants to require all new cars to be equipped with auto-braking collision avoidance systems, lane departure warnings, blind spot warnings, and probably others systems.

This should make it much safer to Text while driving!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 12/13/12 at 10:02:13

Badass94Cad wrote on 12/13/12 at 09:04:57:
Kick Big Brother out, bring back Natural Selection!  Cool

except when natural selection runs my a$$ over to get to the pearly gates.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #38 - 12/13/12 at 20:53:44

WD,I've seen plenty of handshift bikes at Vintage events in my country, I must admit I've never ridden one. I do wonder how people who aren't used to motorcycling would fare if we went back to them. As far as ABS goes, I don't know about bikes but I like the fact that it's on my Camry, even if I don't brake hard enough to use it. If you are a brake masochist, try fiddling with stuffed external contracting mechanical brakes on a '29 Chev, Willys Whippet, or Durant. Or hydraulic ones on a '26 Chrysler. That makes me love the S40 and the Camry. At the risk of being flung out of here, one of the greatest believers in "Natural Selection" was Adolf Hitler.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #39 - 12/13/12 at 21:34:54

I grew up in the space age, but at age 59 I still gripe and pull against all things new. There are SEVERAL bikes out there with ABS already, and since we have had years of research in cars, the systems are reliable. I drove an 04 Taurus that had the ABS go out. I called the Ford store and found out the module was $800. I told them I grew up without it and could do without it. One reason I ride the Savage is simplicity. I talked to a friend at church just last night who was bragging on the fuel injection on his last three bikes. ABS is just a natural progression to help riders. Remember, ABS can be handy in racing situations as well as the new power limiting choices available to prevent wheelies or wheel spin at an inopportune moment. But the fact remains, I don't trust my government to help me. Remember the joke?: What are the two biggest lies? "The check is in the mail." and "We're from the government and we're here to help you."  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #40 - 12/13/12 at 22:20:31

I wear an FF helmet, in case some fool hits me,.. but, I don't need some automated thingy riding the bike for me...
I can ride the bike,.. it's not my abilities I'm worried about...

I can turn my own petcock,.. I put up my sidestand,.. and I will not start my bike in gear with the clutch out...  .. and if I lock my brakes, it's 'cause I meant too..

PS... let's keep the comments subjective, without getting personal...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #41 - 12/14/12 at 00:27:24

oldNslow wrote on 12/13/12 at 06:16:41:
Getting back to the original topic of this thread though - the MSRP of the 500F is (non ABS) is a couple of hundred dollars less that a brand new S40. If I was shopping for a NEW bike right now the Suzuki wouldn't even be in the running.

WOW!! Really?? The new CB500F less expensive than a new S40?? Gotta look into that as I was planning on selling my ZZ-R250 this coming Spring ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #42 - 12/14/12 at 06:15:40

From the websites:

2013 CB500F   $5,499

2013 S40         $5,699

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #43 - 12/14/12 at 07:40:44

jc, 2 of my vehicles have external contracting drum parking brakes on the transmission outputs. Been there. And one of my trucks has twin cylinder front drums (1949 Dodge 1/2 ton), no fun to work on.

Perry, you don't need another plastic fantastic... You've been kicking yourself for how long since selling your magazine bike? Just saying...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #44 - 12/14/12 at 08:13:40

Truth WD ... I've had 2 LS650's over the years and loved 'em both ... a marriage break-up in 2010 saw me foolishly sell my beloved pearl-white '05 (didn't have a spot to store it at the time). I kinda just came upon the ZZ-R (actually my brother found it) and as was dirt cheap and didn't really "care" about it, so bought it as a "tide me over" Bike to keep me on 2-wheels; with intention of only keeping it for one season ... well 2 seasons later and that little Kawi has taught me a few things about Riding ... the handling and comfort are far superior to any Cruiser I've ridden ... the light weight is a plus (weight wasn't an issue with the Savage/S40s either) ... did I mention the handling!
I'll ALWAYS love the LS650, but I gotta tell ya, if I can find a 400-650cc naked/Standard that fits my short arse, I honestly dunno if I I can go back to a Cruiser ... that CB500F (naked version) has peaked my interest ... as has Suzuki's GS500E (also naked) and the Sportster-esque VT750RS Shadow.

Now if Suzuki would only produce a TU650X ... I'd be all over that like flies on a dog turd! Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:25:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › 6 new bikes from Honda

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.