Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
15in of plas saved my arse & a ? (Read 113 times)
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
15in of plas saved my arse & a ?
11/11/12 at 20:37:37

My windshield saved my butt today on the hwy- a piece of something off a 18 wheeler hit it going 70mph and nearly knocked it off the bike- sure glad it was my windshield & not my chest...  Shocked I'll be gettin a replacement ASAP

On another topic- I saw a post a few months back that someone had their header powdercoated. Anyone know if it held up??? I think I want to get it done to my bike or do it myself (dependin on the cost) now that its gotten chilly out & I can stand to be unable to ride.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 15in of plas saved my arse & a ?
Reply #1 - 11/11/12 at 20:48:39

Too bad you couldnt catch him & get him to pull over,you mite have gotten his company to solve that problem for you.

Or, you mita got a beat down from a trucker,, who knows?

Glad it didnt take you off the bike,

Were you following him or did you just find yourself behind him for a minute, while you were jockeying for a way to pass?

In Summer time I will not ride or even drive next to one. When I am in a line passing one, I pause when I get up close to the rear & wait till I can see the guy in front of me is almost clear, then I goose it & run on past those tires. Ive been driving when they blow, I sure wouyldnt want to have been next to me when that happened. One time I was driving a Mack truck w/o power steering when the Left Front blew. I turned left.. not a thing I could do about it, that wheel wound my arms up, hurt me, but I stood up & started cranking it to the right, or I woulda plowed a power pole. Missed it by Thaaaat much.. That tire blew the fender all to pieces & knocked the crossover fuel line off.
Another one was on a drive axle. The outside tire blew & it was such a blast that it knocked the inner tire off the bead & it went flat too. The concussion was so strong I thot I had been shot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #2 - 11/11/12 at 21:38:45

I wish my camera was working, I'd post a pic of the damage. Don't know what it was but I sorta saw it coming & ducked & closed my eyes outta reflex... bad idea I know  Smiley It hit on the top right side & jerked me to the right about a foot & then I coasted to the side of 24 which is a 4 lane hwy & I was in lane 2. It mangeled both brackets & it looks like it took a bullet. I'm a light small guy on a light bike... I count my blessings for still being alive.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/11/12 at 22:01:06

I count my blessings for still being alive.

You Could be doin that from a hospital bed,, Youre Much better off that just "alive",, you got away! I never even thot about a windshield being more than a WIND shield,.,

What about my question? Was there anything you did that you would do different now that youve had this experience?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/12/12 at 08:16:58

I also plan on having some "ceramic" powder coating done......and JetHot is certainly one of the reliable, known and expensive options.
There is a difference between "high heat powder coating" and "ceramic" coating.....and I believe JetHot uses the best and most durable products.

While doing an internet search I found this company.  I know nothing about them and have not yet had anything done by them.....but their prices appear reasonable.  They offer both powder and ceramic coatings.  I have a local company that will sandblast the header for me and they will not charge me anything........we trade favors all the time.  The cost for this company to ceramic coat a motorcycle pipe up to 2" is $ 14 per foot....the Savage pipe is 2'-7".....so it will be about $ 42 plus shipping both ways.  Mufflers are $ 45 each.

http://boneheadperformance.com/ceramic-coating/motorcycle-atv-ceramic-coating...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 11/12/12 at 09:40:26

Dave wrote on 11/12/12 at 08:16:58:
I also plan on having some "ceramic" powder coating done......and JetHot is certainly one of the reliable, known and expensive options.
There is a difference between "high heat powder coating" and "ceramic" coating.....and I believe JetHot uses the best and most durable products.

While doing an internet search I found this company.  I know nothing about them and have not yet had anything done by them.....but their prices appear reasonable.  They offer both powder and ceramic coatings.  I have a local company that will sandblast the header for me and they will not charge me anything........we trade favors all the time.  The cost for this company to ceramic coat a motorcycle pipe up to 2" is $ 14 per foot....the Savage pipe is 2'-7".....so it will be about $ 42 plus shipping both ways.  Mufflers are $ 45 each.

http://boneheadperformance.com/ceramic-coating/motorcycle-atv-ceramic-coating...

These folks also do extrude honing.  Without changing anything else, getting the head extrude honed will increase the flow somewhere between 4% and 20% depending on how crude the insides were to start off with.  Kinda pricey, though.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #6 - 11/12/12 at 18:04:28

Thanks $ the link about the header guys. No JoG I dont think I will do anything different when I ride. I do usually try to avoid the big trucks when I can. This is the second time I've avoided death on a bike- I am sure I've got someone up there lookin out for me which I don't deserve  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:24:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 15in of plas saved my arse & a ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.