Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First teardown on carb for 95 Savage (Read 177 times)
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
First teardown on carb for 95 Savage
11/10/12 at 13:08:47

I did my first carburetor teardown today to see where its at.  I know the brass plug was already out exposing the tuning screw, so not sure what to expect inside.  The previous owner did have just straight pipes on this - literally cut the header and welded on two feet of pipe.  Unfortunately it was silver spray paint on it (not high-heat) so its blistering off, but I digress.

The needle's washer is the original and unchanged.  I will be shaving it down.  The jet setup is pilot 52.5 and main 145.  The screws on the cover were a pain!  Had to convert one to a flat head in order to avoid drilling it out.

IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Re: First teardown on carb for 95 Savage
Reply #1 - 11/10/12 at 18:19:26

Well inevitably I managed to harm something in the teardown.  Trying to inspect the throttle plate I stripped the brass bolts in it.  It was half way out and stripped so I could not get it back in or further out.  Had to drill it out and it bent the rear bar that holds the throttle plate.

Are these sold separately or is this a new carburetor purchase to fix?  I suppose I could try straightening it and get new bolts.  But I am concerned of how sensitive this area is to have oddities in the intake...  Advice welcome

« Last Edit: 11/10/12 at 19:56:23 by Chris Roth »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/10/12 at 18:32:37

Were I you, I would not allow my pooch near any law enforcement officers.

If your pooch squeals on you, youre goin to jail.

Inspect a flat plate? For what?

IF you can get it to operate smoothly & close off the carb throat like it did before you decided it was in need of attention, then it will live.

If you try & fail, you buy a carb.. Mite as well try.,.but right now, I think the best you can hope for is your pooch forgiving you.

Before ya go playin in the carb, read some tech posts on carb mods & maintenance,. If theyre not taking things apart & "inspecting" them, you neednt bother either.

After thinking a minute, I have to ask,, You started one screw out, it started messing up &, instead of solving that problem, you went for the other screw?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #3 - 11/10/12 at 19:41:35

Ah, I see this forum is not without humor.  Good.

I saw the plate had some scoring on it.  I have only had it a month, its a 95, and I wanted to check it out.  It also seemed to grab a little which turned out to a burr on the edge.  I was pulling it out to address this.

Once I saw I screwed it up with the second screw removal I knew it was toast.

BTW, my pooch is the type that would tattle, how'd you know?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 11/10/12 at 20:34:07

Ive had dogs, man,, & theyre NOTHING Like Lassie, ever,, you feed them haul them to the vet, treat them better than extended family & what do they do? They pee in the floor@!They will rat a guy out in a heartbeat,,

Good luck,  you may save it, if ya do or if ya dont, before ya walk off in something that could bite ya, just ask. There are so many knowledgeable people here who can keep you from stomping the pan in the bear trap its just unreal,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 11/10/12 at 20:37:31

I haven't been very deep into this carb, but if its like all other carbs, the throttle plates are never removed from the shaft, nor the shaft from the carb body, except in a complete factory rebuild. The screws are a one time use only, and are usually impossible to remove, and for very good reason, if a screw ever comes out, it can destroy an engine.
But don't feel bad, you are only 1 of many here to hack a carb, resulting in expensive replacements.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #6 - 11/10/12 at 20:48:56

Amen to that Jog... If I were you once you figure out how to fix the mess you have now take it sloooow... If you are reduceing the size of the spacer, keep it intact & grab some washers from the hardware store of the same size instead- that way you can have ur original part and be able to change the spacer size by removing or adding a washer.
The jets that are on your bike are the originals, maybe go up a size on the MAIN- two if 1 doesn't improve the bike- I wouldn't mess with the pilot yet- one circut at a time. get that right & then the pilot, but I don't think you'll need to change it IMHO.
Clean it good along with the TEV and becareful with small parts & put it back together the way U found it  Wink

IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #7 - 11/10/12 at 21:13:05

I will be doing all I can to salvage it into a usable state.  Thinking at this point some creative bending, new bolts, JB Weld, and some sanding should get it fixed up.  Based on how well that turns out, I will determine if I am in a buy position.  At least the weather is in a state I am not regretting it too much.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 11/11/12 at 06:30:15

Yea,, if a guys gonna mung something up, nows the time.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/12/12 at 09:22:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/11/12 at 06:30:15:
Yea,, if a guys gonna mung something up, nows the time.

Well.....I guess I need to go out into the garage and look for projects with questionable outcomes.  No reason to put them off any longer! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/12/12 at 11:11:23

Thats the Spirit!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 11/12/12 at 14:10:41

Chris Roth wrote on 11/10/12 at 21:13:05:
I will be doing all I can to salvage it into a usable state.  Thinking at this point some creative bending, new bolts, JB Weld, and some sanding should get it fixed up.  Based on how well that turns out, I will determine if I am in a buy position.  At least the weather is in a state I am not regretting it too much.

No JB Weld inside the carb at all.
Outside is ok, but none inside anywhere.

IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #12 - 11/12/12 at 15:38:52

LANCER wrote on 11/12/12 at 14:10:41:
Chris Roth wrote on 11/10/12 at 21:13:05:

No JB Weld inside the carb at all.
Outside is ok, but none inside anywhere.

Even though it is on the throttle plate and shouldn't have contact with gas?  I thought this stuff was safe on the block and could handle it.  Just curious if you could elaborate so I understand better.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 11/12/12 at 19:10:19

When you say throttle plate I assume you are referring to the butterfly valve.
JB can become brittle and pieces break off, and that's not so good when inside the intake and being sucked into the cylinder

IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #14 - 11/19/12 at 14:14:35

I was able to put it back together and its in fairly good shape.  Since I had the butterfly valve off at this point, I was able to shave it down to get rid of the scoring. Can only guess that someone had played with it before, either something stuck in there or tool marks.  

I used a sandpaper flapper wheel to polish it out on the valve and the chamber to a smoother surface.  Of course cleaning it thoroughly while disassembled with carb cleaner before reassembling.  I did have to replace the one bolt with a m#4 after tapping and threading the hole.  Used Red (high strength) loctite to secure it too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:27:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First teardown on carb for 95 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.