Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Decorating the tank...paint or decals? (Read 217 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Decorating the tank...paint or decals?
11/08/12 at 09:02:21

So, just musing....I wouldn't mind decorating the gas tank a bit, but don't want to spend hundreds doing so.  Something simple like lightning bolts or flames.  I'm not a good graphic artist myself...I suppose I could pay a talented teenager to do a little airbrushing maybe?  Or maybe there are some templates or something that I could use?

Has anyone here used decals, just out of curiosity?  I'd assume there are plenty made for bikes, although I haven't really looked yet. I'd also assume that maybe a light coat of automotive spray clear-coat over the decal would make a it quite a bit more pretected and permanent?

Thoughts here?

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Decorating the tank...paint or decals?
Reply #1 - 11/08/12 at 10:10:55

What sort of quality of finish to you want?
Cheapest and worst looking are the vinyl peel'n'stick graphics, because the vinyl is not as glossy as the paint, and you can't clear coat over vinyl. They are a b!tch to put on as well because you are putting a 2D sheet on a compound curve.
Next are the decals, which are exactly like the ones you used to put on your model cars and planes. You have to clear coat over them.
Best is a competently done air brush job with clear coat.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #2 - 11/08/12 at 10:40:17

Dave Sisk wrote on 11/08/12 at 09:02:21:
So, just musing....I wouldn't mind decorating the gas tank a bit, but don't want to spend hundreds doing so.  Something simple like lightning bolts or flames.  I'm not a good graphic artist myself...I suppose I could pay a talented teenager to do a little airbrushing maybe?  Or maybe there are some templates or something that I could use?

Has anyone here used decals, just out of curiosity?  I'd assume there are plenty made for bikes, although I haven't really looked yet. I'd also assume that maybe a light coat of automotive spray clear-coat over the decal would make a it quite a bit more pretected and permanent?

Thoughts here?

Cheers,
Dave

Here's my bike and I used decals. Fast forward to the end to  see the bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JSadcGEu2c&feature=plcp

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/08/12 at 10:40:38

There was a good thread on painting with spray cans, it was written by a lady. Hope fully you will find this in the first thirty pages of RSD.

IP Logged
jgrandmont
YaBB Newbies

Buzzards Bay, MA
Reply #4 - 11/09/12 at 04:30:46

I've had pretty good luck with these decals: http://www.purpleharley.com/pin_stripe_accents.htm

Just have to be very careful when applying them -- no second chances!

'09 Suzuki Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 11/09/12 at 05:27:17

Keep in mind there is NO rattle can paint* that will hold up to gasoline.  If you put a lovely paint job on your tank with, say, Duplicolor and decals, then give it a clear coat of Duplicolor normal or Duplicolor hi-heat chemical-resistant engine paint, the first time you spill a drop of gas on it, your paint job is toast.

I know these things.  Misery abounds when this happens.

Your options:
-- have the whole job done professionally ($ several hundred)
-- do it yourself and have a professional clear coat it (still $hundreds, but not quite so many)
-- use $50 worth of Duplicolor or Rustoleum auto paint products (rattle can) and try really really really reeeeaaaaaaalllyy hard to never let any gasoline touch it (dream on,..)
-- use professional multi-part materials with professional equipment if you have it and paint it yourself (a few $hundred)
-- *use a rattle can paint like Spraymax 2k that is a multi-part clear coat with a shelf life of 2 days once you activate it.  Maybe $100 for two cans of paint and a respirator.

I know of one situation where a guy had some smaller pieces professionally clear coated for $50 at a paint shop a few years ago. He struck up a deal with a buddy that worked there, where after a normal paint job on some automotive body work, they just shot the guys pieces with the leftover clear coat.  I have not been able to find any kind of a deal like that.  If you are a very charming fellow, maybe you could con a paint shop into doing that.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/09/12 at 07:16:47

Yes there is, epoxy paint, one time use.  I'll have to look up where to get it.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 11/09/12 at 07:19:18

verslagen1 wrote on 11/09/12 at 07:16:47:
Yes there is, epoxy paint, one time use.  I'll have to look up where to get it.

rattle can one-part clear coat paint?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 11/09/12 at 14:55:56

Put an add on CraigsList looking for an apprentice/newbie airbrusher that will do it for cost or on the cheap for practice/experience   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #9 - 11/09/12 at 16:59:01

There are some cool stencils on this site that I had put on my tank by a pro. I almost think I could have done it myself tho
http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=KUS+HB-SKULLSET-M
they have alotta different choices  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/09/12 at 18:13:24

Whatever you decide on, get something to play with & practice on. Body shops have painted bits & pieces of bent cars layin around. Take a piece home, ( Dont get one thats all wadded up, OOOKay?) & mess with it,,
Once you get decent at painting with a rattle can, layin out the design, & everything, Then go for your tank. Its just not smart to be inexperienced & walk off into a project that really Needs to work out, YOu can get your experience for some time & just a few dollars.,Body shops will let you haul a few things away, IF they know youre not jut dragging junk off to sell,,
\Go, get something small,, play with it, take it back, get a new "canvas" .
Once the owner understands what youre trying to do,, odds are, he will help you,, might even hook you up with a painter..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 11/09/12 at 20:03:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/09/12 at 18:13:24:
Whatever you decide on, get something to play with & practice on. Body shops have painted bits & pieces of bent cars layin around. Take a piece home, ( Dont get one thats all wadded up, OOOKay?) & mess with it,,
Once you get decent at painting with a rattle can, layin out the design, & everything, Then go for your tank. Its just not smart to be inexperienced & walk off into a project that really Needs to work out, YOu can get your experience for some time & just a few dollars.,Body shops will let you haul a few things away, IF they know youre not jut dragging junk off to sell,,
Once the owner understands what youre trying to do,, odds are, he will help you,, might even hook you up with a painter..

Just keep in mind whatever artistry you apply to the paint job, you'll need a gasoline-proof clear coat or you will be distraught like you have never been distraught before if you spill some gas on it.  There are no single-part gas-proof clear coats.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 11/09/12 at 20:08:53

Gyrobob wrote on 11/09/12 at 20:03:54:

Just keep in mind whatever artistry you apply to the paint job, you'll need a gasoline-proof clear coat or you will be distraught like you have never been distraught before if you spill some gas on it.  There are no single-part gas-proof clear coats.

you'll need a gasoline-proof clear coat or you will be distraught like you have never been distraught before WHEN you spill some gas on it.

Because its not IF,, its when,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 11/09/12 at 20:12:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/09/12 at 20:08:53:
Gyrobob wrote on 11/09/12 at 20:03:54:

you'll need a gasoline-proof clear coat or you will be distraught like you have never been distraught before WHEN you spill some gas on it.

Because its not IF,, its when,,

Abso-friggin'-lootlee

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 11/09/12 at 20:32:10

And remember, these days it has to be ethanol-proof as well.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:29:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decorating the tank...paint or decals?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.