Signup for ISS (Read 78 times)
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Signup for ISS
11/06/12 at 06:28:57

I don't know how many of you have ever seen the ISS, but it's quite spectacular when it flies over.   It's a fairly rare occurrence because the ISS has no on-board light source other than the sun's reflection from its solar panel array.  So like a mirror reflecting sunlight, you must be in the right spot at the right time.  NASA is now making it easier by sending you alerts of perfect viewing dates and times in your area.

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/index.cfm

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Signup for ISS
Reply #1 - 11/06/12 at 22:23:07

Thats Cool!Thanks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 11/15/12 at 08:04:52

I've already benefited several good heads-up viewings from this site.   It's spot on and tells you when and where the ISS will appear and end, the heading, the duration, and the exact orbital time at your zip locale.   Prior to this, I had only caught rare sightings of the ISS over the years purely by accident.

The ISS is totally visible with eyes only (3rd brightest object), but you might keep binoculars handy.   I have a pretty good telescope, but it's actually a little too good - LOL.   Way too powerful, and can't track any movement except to compensate the earth's orbit (Celestron Nexstar 8).   It's too bad because I might be able to see some detail with an 8 inch scope.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 11/15/12 at 08:10:52

NOW Im signed up. Last time you posted this I was tired & was gonna do it later& forgot About it

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 11/15/12 at 09:20:08

Good call 360k+.  Something that goes along with this......Google search for ham radio and the ISS. Us hams sometimes talk to the ISS and it is all on frequencies you can pick up with a normal scanner. The passes are quick and you may need an external antenna to hear them but a quick and dirty antenna can be made cheaply.

Just another thought!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 11/15/12 at 12:52:16

ZAR wrote on 11/15/12 at 09:20:08:
Good call 360k+.  Something that goes along with this......Google search for ham radio and the ISS. Us hams sometimes talk to the ISS and it is all on frequencies you can pick up with a normal scanner. The passes are quick and you may need an external antenna to hear them but a quick and dirty antenna can be made cheaply.

Just another thought!

Zar, could you post those frequencies or point me to a site?   I've got a Radio Shack Pro83 portable scanner and it would be great to listen as they pass over, in fact wayyy cool!

Never mind, found some - thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 11/15/12 at 14:27:28

search

listen ham online

Mite get it w/o even having a scanner

http://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/hobby/astronomy/space-tracking.php

Tons O stuff out there to mess wiff..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:45:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Signup for ISS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.