Send Topic Print
So I guess (Read 242 times)
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
So I guess
11/01/12 at 21:06:24

I ticked off a Hardly rider by blowing past him on the Tollway doing 80 going home... Grin he jumped out of the slow lane and followed for about a mile or two and then proceded to do a same lane pass on me  Undecided  found it kind've funny.

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Re: So I guess
Reply #1 - 11/01/12 at 22:03:05

Don't lose any sleep over it...He was just pissed off he was riding an over weight over priced under powered piece of crap, I do it all the time Wink

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/01/12 at 22:38:20

Be careful playing tag with a Harley rider,..
...you'll get oil spray on you... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/01/12 at 22:51:46

imagine how pissed off he'd be if you sped up and kept with him.

Cool

WWW   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 11/02/12 at 06:15:54

verslagen1 wrote on 11/01/12 at 22:51:46:
imagine how pissed off he'd be if you sped up and kept with him.

Cool

I use to do that all the time on my Suzuki Burgman 650. The look on their faces when getting passed by a scooter is priceless  Grin

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 11/02/12 at 06:33:00

Folks, this is the Cafe, not Politics and Religion.

Wipe the mud off your feet when you come into the Cafe.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/02/12 at 07:02:21

Shocked Really?! I think Harleys are more reliable than S40s. Petcock issues, fuel issues on hills/turning corners, et al. Maybe years ago Harleys had problems but the new bikes are solid. I do not have to worry about these issues I have read about here.  Don't hate what others have selected as their bike of choice.  The S40 is just another choice. And, Harley riders are not in a hurry to get do the road. They prefer to enjoy the ride.  As far as "racing" another biker...that is a "male" thing. And we all know men can revert to childish behavior. Wink

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 11/02/12 at 07:53:56

ColoS40Girl wrote on 11/02/12 at 07:02:21:
Shocked Really?! I think Harleys are more reliable than S40s. Petcock issues, fuel issues on hills/turning corners, et al. Maybe years ago Harleys had problems but the new bikes are solid. I do not have to worry about these issues I have read about here.  Don't hate what others have selected as their bike of choice.  The S40 is just another choice.

I agree. I like my S40 just fine, and I paid a lot less for it than any Harley I could possibly buy in comparable condition, but I sure wish I didn't have to pull the clutch cover off it some time this winter to check the cam chain adjuster on a motor that's only got a little more than 9
thousand miles on it.

Most of the guys I know that ride Harleys are actually pretty nice folks.
Some of them even wave back at me when I'm out riding around.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 11/02/12 at 08:01:50

Shocked Really?! I think Harleys are more reliable than S40s. Petcock issues, fuel issues on hills/turning corners, et al. Maybe years ago Harleys had problems but the new bikes are solid. I do not have to worry about these issues I have read about here.  Don't hate what others have selected as their bike of choice.  The S40 is just another choice. And, Harley riders are not in a hurry to get do the road. They prefer to enjoy the ride.  As far as "racing" another biker...that is a "male" thing. And we all know men can revert to childish behavior. Wink

I'm with S40Girl on this.   My Beemer will out perform, out corner, out run, and out distance any Savage, but it's not better, only different.   Each bike has it's pluses and minuses as part of their individual character, just like we human people do.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 11/02/12 at 08:03:16

Colos40Girl,

I cannot say very much about other people bashing on Harleys (guilty, am I), but I think MMRanch and Lancer have a unique perspective on that cross brand reliability issue thing having ridden both Savages and Sportsters up to the Dragon with the rest of us.  They can speak to that reliability issue however, as I am just an observer.

(360k+, Lancer rode a Beemer to the Dragon one time too, so he can speak to that comparison as well, should he choose to.)  

Your point on the integral flaws in the Savage vac petcock and cam chain are quite valid.  Harley uses rocker tappet push rods and it uses fuel injection now instead of a vac petcock and carburetor so Harley has moved past those nagging issues that we still have to deal with.

Having now gone past the age of testosterone madness, I have no excuse whatsoever for constantly tormenting Harleys up there in the mountains at Dragon time.  If they would quit hanging all them pork chops off their fenders, I would likely be able to quit chasing them ....

The point made earlier about some of the Harley riders being a little bit arrogant acting is also valid.    I have been pursued for bit by two (2) Harley riders who were going to attempt to "show me" on a curvy mountain road.  This sort of thing has happened more than once.

This was (I think) simply because I was a fat old fart riding on puny 'ol Grandma's silver Savage as Harley riders generally don't do that sort of thing when the crotch rockets flame past them.  

It really isn't Harley brand related, this aggressive male behaviour towards the Savage. Ducati riders and BMW riders do the same thing.   Even Gold Wing riders do it on occasion.

The fact is nobody likes a Savage passing them -- it is insulting to the other brand biker on a very basic visceral level.

So, it is a failing of the competitive male ego, driven by hyped up testosterone madness and some varying mixture of brand loyalty.

My sex is flawed, I am afraid -- and I am likely the most flawed among them.

Mea Clupa

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 11/02/12 at 08:35:38

Having owned a ton of Harleys (which means 1964 and older big twins) and a ton of Hardlys (1965 and newer big twins)... I bag on the post-65s from experience, as a whole, they've been junk. My last (and I mean that in more than one way) Evo big twin ate 4 engines and 6 transmissions in 6 months.

Having had the same Savage since February of 1998, I feel just fine bashing MY Savage as being the same class of garbage as every post-65 Big Twin (and every Sportster) I've owned. MY particular Savage has been plagued since day one with electrical problems, fuel issues, brake problems, shift linkages that fail if you look at them wrong, gaskets that sometimes seal and sometimes leak. I keep it around because 1) it's a cute little toy motorcycle 2) I've modified it so far from original that it has a negative resale value and 3) I wouldn't knowingly sell somebody used parts off a cursed bike.

On a good day my Savage will eat any HD it can find. On a bad (typical) day, it's sharing the bed of the truck with one.  Roll Eyes

For the last 2 years I lived on the west coast, my Savage shared the covered patio with a 1957 Panhead rigid framed, springer fork barhopper. The Savage came to TN, the Panhead went back to the guy I got it from. Savage needs a few hundred bucks in parts/work to be back on the road, I quit adding up HD parts/work at $28K...  Shocked

Would I buy another post-65 HD, a Sportster or another Savage? Maybe, but not likely. Certainly not as a ride it every day machine.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/02/12 at 08:54:18

Oh don't take our 'posturing' and 'sabre rattling' anything other than good natured funnin'.

Bikes are bikes, they have their good points and bad, some of them are riding.

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #12 - 11/02/12 at 09:09:04

WD wrote on 11/02/12 at 08:35:38:
Having owned a ton of Harleys (which means 1964 and older big twins) and a ton of Hardlys (1965 and newer big twins)...

Thats two tons of Harleys?   Seriously, WD I feel for you.   That record would be enough to make me find another pastime, but I don't think your case is typical.   I've been riding 45 years and have owned several Harleys, Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, one BSA, and one Beemer.  Except for the BSA, none of my bikes ever broke in any serious way; just regular maintenance, and safe & sane riding kept them all running pretty good.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #13 - 11/02/12 at 16:34:11

I only have 30 thousand miles on mine so I have not had any of those problems yet. I have had to change the front brakes twice and the tires once.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #14 - 11/02/12 at 17:19:21

I did think about buzzing him back but decided to chuckle about it an continue on my way.

Probably an  out of towner down for the Lone Star bike Rally in Galveston this weekend.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:39:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › So I guess

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.