demographics (Read 131 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

demographics
11/01/12 at 13:40:47

from the CDC website:

Among all women in the United States (including those as young as 10 and as old as 54), the birth rate declined from 64.1 per 100,000 in 2010 to 63.2 per 100,000 in 2011. Among women 10 to 14 years old, it held steady at 0.4 per 100,000. Among women 15-19 years old, it declined from 34.2 to 31.3. Among women 20-24 years old, it declined from 90.0 to 85.3. Among women 25-29, it declined from 108.3 to 107.2. And among women 30-34 years old, it held steady at 96.5.

However, among women 35-39 years old, it increased from 45.9 per 100,000 to 47.2. Among women 40-44, it increased from 10.2 to 10.3. And among women from 45-54, it held steady at 0.7 per 100,000.

In 2011, the birth rate for women aged 20–24 years was 85.3 births per 1,000 women, the lowest rate ever recorded for the United States, 5 percent lower than in 2010

this is interesting stuff. why would birth rates decline so much for women 20-24 to the lowest rate ever? I have my ideas, but so we can have a break from presidential politics and because i'm stuck in an iowa hotel room,  any one else have ideas to share?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: demographics
Reply #1 - 11/01/12 at 13:55:27

Career options ... I also believe in this time frame girls out numbered boys in graduation rates.
Medical advances - women think they can freeze the eggs or think there is super duper fertility stuff.
College debt ... I have of late heard a lot of stories with women running up college debt at an alarming rate. My theory on that is that women tend to not make up their minds for a lot longer than men, and in college that costs you.

My theories/observations.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #2 - 11/01/12 at 15:24:18

Women are much more educated today earning degrees in science, business, math, engineering, and so pursuing other careers formally open only to males. The days of that old "keep em' barefoot & pregnant" meme are over.

Ms.Starlifter and I elected not to have children as she was working on her master's degree and later pursuing her career goals.

Parenting is a choice. A vocation for people who wish to pursue that lifestyle, find it rewarding, and have the aptitude and skills to do it well.

...and then there is always the over-population issue to consider.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/01/12 at 16:43:06

I blame cell phones...  
...then again,.. I blame cell phones for everything... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/02/12 at 06:08:19

I think the answers lies somewhere in the direct correlation between religion and birthrate and to a smaller degree, economics and birthrate.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 11/02/12 at 06:21:05

I would blame sky rocketing college costs ... accompanied with the garbage "I'm going to college" ads.

Seriously, everyone is going to have a college degree ... and I'll make $100 an hour being a motorcycle mechanic.

Its supply and demand ... if everyone had a college degree, college degrees would be worthless ... (I am not talking about stuff like engineering or math or physics degrees where you actually research or do design and production etc etc ... those subjects are difficult, and sadly except to the select handful will always be.

Most of the "But I'm going to college" crowd is going to study english or history or social service or other easy subjects - like art appreciation or the ever famous CSI" ... and if you notice, that ad is squarely targeted @ women/girls. Honestly I know someone who makes $14 an hour 10 years after getting a degree in social work and still has 35k outstanding debt. He's  a dude, but I know of a a few women racking up good big bills in debt studying nearly useless subjects.

Seriously ... college debt is skyrocketing and women are the largest and fastest growing group.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/02/12 at 07:36:32

When the goobs got in the business of financing college education, costs started up.& Booy they took Off. I went on the GI Bill for a year, The prices were pretty reasonable still. Not any more.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 11/02/12 at 07:42:13

Not just the govt. Its the whole loan system ... free $$$ if you go to college ... your college experience means you will have dorms like a 5 star hotel, have new football stadiums ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/03/12 at 06:03:50

Fact is no one can work their way thru college anymore. My daughter got a crap load of scholarships for Kansas and it's still painful. At least, the cost of books is starting to come down. that was pouring fuel on the fire. absolute gouging by college professors....

but, does cost of college explain the drop off in birth rates? Maybe part of it. I'm going with the increase of secularism as the #1 reason, economics including college as #2.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 11/03/12 at 13:03:52

Secularism eh?

<snip>

Secularism is the principle of separation of government institutions, and the persons mandated to represent the State, from religious institutions and religious dignitaries. In one sense, secularism may assert the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, and the right to freedom from governmental imposition of religion upon the people within a state that is neutral on matters of belief.

Oh Yeah, lets replace democracy with a theocracy...like oh say Iran, that'll get those women to pop out babies to get the stats up. Grin

Yes, and college too. lets Keep em dumb and pregnant. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/03/12 at 14:52:11

Oh Yeah, lets replace democracy with a theocracy

who said anything about a theocracy? I didn't.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #11 - 11/03/12 at 19:20:09

Secularism is the principle of separation of government institutions, and the persons mandated to represent the State, from religious institutions.

Ergo if secularism (separation of church and state) is a problem, it suggests the alternative which is a theocratic system of government. Presumable a Christian one.  

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/03/12 at 20:19:15

No that doesn't follow completely. I'm just saying as religion has less influence over the culture, there are ramifications. One of those is a lower birthrate.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #13 - 11/03/12 at 21:38:09

I don't follow this line of reasoning. How does religion or the lack thereof influence the birthrate?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/04/12 at 05:15:13

There’s a simple answer and complex answer. The simple answer is many religions seriously preach the ‘go forth and multiply’ concept and reject birth control/abortion. See Roman Catholics, Islam and many others. The traditional view of marriage is still strong particularly in many rural areas of this country for example. Look at a county map of the election Tuesday and you’ll see the vast, vast majority of counties will be Republican. These are the same counties where religious influence is strong. Their birthrates don’t always match urban rates because of the rates of inner cities.  

The more complex answer is the opposite of love is not hate, but rather selfishness. Atheism at its heart is based in selfishness which goes against the sacrifices required for child rearing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/07/24 at 16:56:13

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › demographics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.