Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I laid my bike down. Now I have to fix it! (Read 183 times)
JIMBO
YaBB Newbies

Luvin my 1996 LS650

New Jersey
I laid my bike down. Now I have to fix it!
10/31/12 at 16:32:11

An idiot at a stop sign waited until I was fifteen feet away from him before he decided to turn onto the road directly in front of me. My choices: (1) hit him and flip over the hood of his truck, (2) turn to avoid him and slam into the row of parked cars to my right or (3) lay the bike down and hope for the best.

Well, I laid the bike down, slid about 15 feet on the right side, and lived to ride another day. He took off never to be seen again. Nice guy.

My riding jacket with armor saved my elbow, but I got a little road rash as it slid up to my forearm. My thigh and hip got the worse of it and were sore for the better part of two weeks. My helmet was brand new, but not anymore. Sad  My gas tank got a few scratches in it, my right front peg is bent to heck, and the front wheel is out of alignment. My wife, who didn't want me to get the bike ('96 LS 650) broke out a big old bag of - I told you so's!

Questions:  Where can I get another front right peg? I couldn't find one on ebay. I might be able to bang out the bend, but the rubber and chrome end cap are beyond repair.

How do I realign the front wheel? What do I loosen and is there a scientifc way to make sure that the handle bars and the wheel are spot on?  

All stock, but not for long!
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: I laid my bike down. Now I have to fix it!
Reply #1 - 10/31/12 at 16:40:15

Just loosen the forks at the top of the trees and it will be fine.

When faced with laying it down, make sure it hits the car so they have less chance to get away. It is your fault unless there is contact.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #2 - 10/31/12 at 16:56:59

Foot peg at RYCA. $15.00 shipped. They have a big slection of take off parts.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/01/12 at 01:32:47

I hope you see him again,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #4 - 11/01/12 at 09:57:55

Glad you survived ok. I hope you get a new front peg soon. And a new wife...

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 11/01/12 at 13:17:57

Cavie wrote on 10/31/12 at 16:56:59:
Foot peg at RYCA. $15.00 shipped. They have a big slection of take off parts.

You got a link or something for these take off parts?  I don't see it on the RYCA site.

Thanks

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/01/12 at 13:39:47

JIMBO wrote on 10/31/12 at 16:32:11:
My choices: (1) hit him and flip over the hood of his truck,  
Sorry your bike and body got damaged and you got a told you so from the wife.  You probably took the best option.  Option (1) doesn't always work out to be a simple flip.  Following Newton's laws of motion you and your motorcycle will try to continue on their path, straight ahead, parallel to the pavement.  As your bike collides with the vehicle the forks and front wheel begin to buckle and your body continues onward.  First the "family jewels" slide over the fuel tank and filler cap, then you hit the handle bars and your upper body continues forward violently dragging your thighs around and over the handle bars, levers, mirrors etc.  After that brief but painful experience the energy of both bike and rider start to pick up some rotational velocity and only then does the flipping begin.

Now in the old days most people laid their bike down (your option 3), the brakes weren't very good then so it seemed like a good plan.  But option (1) was a temptation and was tried by many.  The idea was that we would stand on the pegs and launch ourselves into the air and over the vehicle and land without injury on the other side thus avoiding being run over by the car if we slid under it.  There are a couple problems with standing and flipping.  Your mind works very fast in the moments before an impending collision, you can actually think out these options as you now know.  But, your body doesn't have the time in which to do much so you slam into the other vehicle before you ever manage to stand up on the pegs.  Another problem with cruiser type bikes is that with the pegs and legs in a forward position it is hard to get up on those pegs.

So you did the best thing.  Glad you came through it without serious injuries or damage to your bike.

PS In my youth I tested all the options, more than once, using older domestic and English bikes.  Modern bikes have much better tires and brakes and that opens up another option, stopping or at least slowing down and reducing the energy that will be imparted to your body and bike.  Obviously every situation is different and in this case you made the right decision.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
scannerzer
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

northern ireland
Reply #7 - 11/01/12 at 13:52:31

Sorry to hear that Jimbo it's something all of us would hope to avoid

1990 ls 650 Met red,4speed
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 11/02/12 at 06:26:01

I'll probably upset someone, but...

I usually interpret "I had to lay it down" to mean "I stomped the brake pedal just as I would have done in my car, the rear wheel locked up and slid out from under me, and caused a low-side." The real blame here goes to the motorcycle manufacturers who do not equip their bikes with combined ABS brake systems.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 11/02/12 at 10:56:01

Our rear will flat lock one up in a hurry, with waay too little pressure on the pedal, Generally, if a lay down avoided contact with the other vehicle, a lay down wasnt necessary.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JIMBO
YaBB Newbies

Luvin my 1996 LS650

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 11/04/12 at 09:23:11

Charon wrote on 11/02/12 at 06:26:01:
I'll probably upset someone, but...

I usually interpret "I had to lay it down" to mean "I stomped the brake pedal just as I would have done in my car, the rear wheel locked up and slid out from under me, and caused a low-side." The real blame here goes to the motorcycle manufacturers who do not equip their bikes with combined ABS brake systems.

Actually, I'm not even sure that I applied the break. I'm not an experienced motorcycle rider, but I have years of riding dirt bikes under my belt. I laid the bike down like I was riding a dirt bike in soft dirt. Obviously, it didn't feel the same.

IP Logged
JIMBO
YaBB Newbies

Luvin my 1996 LS650

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 11/04/12 at 09:25:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/02/12 at 10:56:01:
Our rear will flat lock one up in a hurry, with waay too little pressure on the pedal, Generally, if a lay down avoided contact with the other vehicle, a lay down wasnt necessary.,

This is where my inexperience comes into play. In the split second that I had to think, I decided not to risk flipping over the hood of the truck. Laying down was the option that I chose. Would I do differently if I had known better? Maybe. Did it work? Yes, thank my lucky stars.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/04/12 at 09:38:27

Im as guilty as anyone who ever had a crash that was avoidable. I only used the rear brake & totalled my Guzi. In my defense, I was feeling so bad I should never have left the house. I was supposed to be going to Tyler & was, instead, on a road to Lindale, I was really not well at all.

But,, I shoulda known better than get out. Bad Judgement, I wont do that again, I had no business driving anything that day.
Anyway, its good to get in a safe place, check the road surface for loose stuff & practice panic stops. Use the front brake.
If your rear locks up with 2 pounds on the lever, mod the shoes,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:26:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I laid my bike down. Now I have to fix it!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.