Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ARM Cortex A50 series 64 bit chips (Read 294 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: ARM Cortex A50 series 64 bit chips
Reply #15 - 11/09/12 at 12:13:35

very cool.   Something I wish I would have gotten into myself long ago.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 11/09/12 at 12:40:01

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/09/12 at 10:58:05:
But the PC as we know it is ENDING within the next 5-10 years, replaced by a phone that sits in your pocket and that phone can run your keyboard and your mouse and your screen from your pocket.

I can't tell if you're really that ignorant or if you just don't use a computer for anything except surfing the internet and the occasional app.

Do you realize that since the desktop PC came out over 30 years ago that it's still the same size? It's only faster and stores more data. People like this size of computer.

Computers will forever get faster while programs and video will forever get fatter and we'll need more and more space to store that information and room to cool these things down. Good luck trying to cool an over-clocked computer when there's nowhere to put a heatsink or attach some cooling hoses to your cel-phone.

Full-size PC's aren't going anywhere. People love to build them, overclock them, compete with them and just generally show them off. What you said is like saying the car as we know it will disappear once Google gets their autocar 50-state legal. It's not happening. Not now and probably not ever.

*edit*
Oh yeah, almost forgot - about your wireless comment...
Wireless will never replace hard-wired either. Ever. Wireless involves taking a signal and breaking it down so it can be transmitted and right there is your problem. A wire doesn't have to do any of that. Wireless will forever get faster but it's all based on a faster hard-wired signal that will forever be one step ahead of it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 11/09/12 at 13:23:39

Yup, I think I'm that ignorant.

I also think I've paid more attention to the new developments in that industry than you have.

So, you can be the voice for Intel and Microsoft and I can be the voice for the future of computing.

First test for my "future" is that Intel gets dumped out of Apple laptops (time: next year).

Second test is that cell phones pick up the ability to run a remote screen, keyboard and mouse wirelessly from your pocket (time: two years).

Third test is that an ARM OS system begins to do more of the hard stuff, gaming, graphics, CAD (time: three years).

Fourth test is PC as a full sized box like we think of it today goes away pretty much completely as a new sale type item (time: 4 years).

Last test is this all starts to happen quicker than I expect ... tick tock timing increases to say 8 months for each tick and for each tock.

Now Cavi, what is your future like?  Can you explain what the future is going to be (other than water cooled cell phones that is)?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #18 - 11/09/12 at 13:26:40

Cavi,

The desktop computer will still exist in some format. I agree with that. I'm pretty sure that Oldfeller agrees with that too. Since he already stated that some programs will still require them (CADD etc).

The thing is, I already know of many households who do not own a desktop PC. I'm one of them. I have laptops. Why? They do everything I need from a home computer and when not in use they aren't dominating a corner of my living space. 10 years ago, everyone I knew had a desktop PC, be they gamers or seniors. Now the seniors want a tablet they can see the grandkiddies on and the gamers are getting highend laptops that are as powerful as a desktop and far more portable. The last LAN party I was at had everyone with powerful laptops. (Actually the last one was with PS3's and we were all dragging 42-70" TV's into the place, but I digress)
Overclocking and liquid cooling desktop PC's has always been something of a niche market. (I should know, I was part of it) It gives a sense of being part of the elite. That will always be around, you're right. However, it's likely that you'll have multiple low power chips running a much faster rig than one power hungry chip come the not too distant future.
TL;DR version = Desktop custom PC's will still be around. Niche market smaller than electric bowties. Not in the format we currently think of them.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 11/09/12 at 16:24:48

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/09/12 at 13:23:39:
I also think I've paid more attention to the new developments in that industry than you have.

So, you can be the voice for Intel and Microsoft and I can be the voice for the future of computing.

First test for my "future" is that Intel gets dumped out of Apple laptops (time: next year).

Now Cavi, what is your future like?  Can you explain what the future is going to be (other than water cooled cell phones that is)?

Water cooled cell-phones? Seriously? That's what you go out of my post?

Anyways...

I don't think anyone ever saw it coming that Intel would even be considered for making Apple processors but when the rumours went flying around, people were pretty blown away. Intel doesn't need Apple like you seem to think. Intel already has 80% of the CPU market. Something you probably didn't know.

The future of computing will be pretty much exactly where it is and has been for quite some time. Intel vs AMD with the overclockers, Apple with the artists, and a bunch of little children running around playing with their shiny toys (google, android, whatever else pops up).

Sure, I'd love to see ARM jump into the real PC market but I'm not ignorant enough to believe it will happen in 10 years considering ARM is already 20 years old. I'd be more apt to believe Linux would be in the market especially considering almost every major player develops drivers and whatnot to keep compatibility but alas, Linux only holds 2% of the market.

I think it's you that needs to do a bit more research or maybe join a decent computer forum like http://www.overclock.net so you can keep real tabs on what's going on. Obviously you're only paying attention to the technology and not the real life points.

*edit*
I know what I just typed sounded like I was directly comparing ARM and Linux but I wasn't since one is obviously hardware and one is software. I was simply stating how good both are yet neither of them can get a real foothold in the real PC market.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 11/09/12 at 18:31:10

We shall see, now won't we?

So, Cavi says that everything will stay pretty much the same, that PC boxes will always be there for you and that is what you will always want.

Cavi, you are saying that the hot item for this Christmas will be a new Intel Processor desktop PC then, right?

No?   Then what is the hot item for this Christmas?

What are people spending their tech bucks on instead of a new PC?

This is a fanless Intel core I-7 computer, state of the art fanless technology from your Wintel computer buddies.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 11/09/12 at 18:34:26

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/09/12 at 18:31:10:

So, Cavi says that everything will stay pretty much the same, that PC boxes will always be there for you and that is what you will always want.

Cavi, you are saying that the hot item for this Christmas will be a new Intel Processor desktop PC then, right?

Hot new item will be about 24 arm boards hot wired into a pc box   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 11/09/12 at 18:51:11

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/25/tablet-pc-market-analysis

PC sales are flat, laptops are flat,  tablets are rising fast .....  but look at that emerging portable GO !!!

Smart phones are continuing to ramp up and up ....

What happens when a cell phone really can do the job the PC used to do?  From your pocket, light your screen and take your keyboard strokes and mouse clicks.  Are you going to junk your cell phone and carry your PC with you all the time?  No, of course not.

No, but you might consider not buying another PC since they will still cost 3-4x as much as a new superphone would cost.

Phones will now pick up a wifi signal and use that in preference to using plan minutes.
  You can buy phones now that only use wifi and store your missed contacts until you get into range of a wifi signal.

The whole thing is changing, year by year.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 11/09/12 at 19:14:12

smart phones have to ramp up yearly to replace the beta phones from the year before   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 11/09/12 at 19:27:48

And this is coming from a guy who POSTS off his smart phone all the time.

Cheesy

Every time we rode down the mountain, Verslagen would pop his phone out and check his messages and his posts .....  he's not addicted fer much.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 11/09/12 at 19:40:16

verslagen1 wrote on 11/09/12 at 18:34:26:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/09/12 at 18:31:10:

Hot new item will be about 24 arm boards hot wired into a pc box   Shocked

not that they haven't done that already

My goodness, you know what they call that don't you?   A working man's supercomputer.

===============

What happens when you don't bust apart a whole rack of little stick PCs?

Why, you have a Stagecoach board, which is 1/28th of a Stagecoach Suitcase Supercomputer.

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Sandia-StrongBox-and-Gumstix-Stagecoach/

===============

Here is an Ubuntu server rack (ARM chips)

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/ZT-Systems-R1801e-/

=================

Seriously, Caldexra and the Barcelona Project have each built a serious ARM supercomputer, they worked fine and drew less than 24% of the juice required by equivalent horsepower Intel based supercomputers.  

This has prompted both ARM and AMD to declare that AMD is going into in the ARM supercomputer business using the new 64 bit ARM server designs.   There is potentially a BIG NEW market here as this energy costs SAVINGS in a data center would pay for the new data center in a year or so.

This at least offers AMD a future, if they can survive the wolves of winter that is ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 11/09/12 at 20:01:05

ok, now for the hard part... find me a laptop display driver.

I got this old laptop, battery crapped out so I got for free.
battery cost more than a new laptop at the time.
been sitting collecting dust.
when I opened it up, had a mini at mother board half ht. HD
I can put anything in it if i had a display driver that'll port to one of those

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #27 - 11/09/12 at 21:49:48

Now cluster computing with ARM processors I can see as a good benefit and a possible replacement for current desktop computers IF the software support is written to support it.

Server wise the cluster computing software is already there, might just need a little tweaking to support the ARM arch, but for server stuff cluster support is already there.  

One other area that the ARM arch still needs to support that I haven't seen yet is PCI-E so that it can support hardware raid cards and more powerful Video Cards then what is available on the SOC's.  

As I said before to you OldFeller I'm not against the ARM's and I'm very intrigued by them and have bought a few of the hackberry boards and also just put in an order for one of the cubieboards as well since the hackberry's will end up being for the kiddo's the cubie will be my play toy since it has all the extra pin-outs for the gpio's and such where the hackberry doesn't. The cubie board also has the ability to directly drive a LCD panel via the LVDS pins on the pin-outs as well, plus alot of the other features available on the pin-outs that the A10 chip has are there as well.  Now the Hackberry boards are gonna be perfect for what I have in mind for the kids, but for me really finding what the A10 can do and what is really available in most of it's features the cubie seems like the perfect board for that atm, at least from a pricing stand point.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 11/10/12 at 01:22:14

Yup, affordable fun.  

Not quite ready for pc replacement (yet) as a single A10 core.

What happens when you have quad core SOCs just as readily available on gumstick sized boards though?   2 gigahertz quad core SOCs with 8 core GPUs?

You do realize there are octa(8)core implementations of these same chipsets that nobody is talking about doing just yet, apart from the datacenter rack replacement boys like Caldexra who have done some as proof of concept boards.  

To me there is lots of potential for scaling.  Some folks have bought the hard macro designs for quad core A7 and A15 and they are trying to bring them to market next year.  These single chip SOCs will offer quite a bit of horsepower to a casual user like me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #29 - 11/10/12 at 12:28:47

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/10/12 at 01:22:14:

Yup, affordable fun.  

Not quite ready for pc replacement (yet) as a single A10 core.

What happens when you have quad core SOCs just as readily available on gumstick sized boards though?   2 gigahertz quad core SOCs with 8 core GPUs?

You do realize there are octa(8)core implementations of these same chipsets that nobody is talking about doing just yet, apart from the datacenter rack replacement boys like Caldexra who have done some as proof of concept boards.  

To me there is lots of potential for scaling.  Some folks have bought the hard macro designs for quad core A7 and A15 and they are trying to bring them to market next year.  These single chip SOCs will offer quite a bit of horsepower to a casual user like me.

Yes for casual users until they get the cluster support done and PCI-E or what ever comes after that for the higher horse power graphics engines I will agree that the progress of these little ARM arch designs are gonna eventually be a very nice and cheaper alternative to desktops where the user is only in need of something for internet, email and basic office type applications, They should also do well for some light gaming such as those that work well with the Android type OS's, Java based games, and also those that are internet based that don't rely to heavily on the clients computer for heavy graphics processing.  They will also do well for doing multi-media applications as well,  it would just be nice if services such as netflix would take that one additional step and make it compatible with linux which they can do since they have already ported it to work with Android.

For me this is gonna be just a play toy to see what all I can find out about building on the ARM arch for linux side of things since all I've done so far is Android.  Also since I went with the Cubie board for myself I'll have access to a whole lot more of the features that I can play with to see what all I can make this little thing do.  I'm vary anxious to get this thing in hand so I can start playing around with it just to see what it's capable of doing.  Heck it may just be the perfect thing for a project that I had planned on doing a few years ago but never got started on because I never could find the proper development board to fit the needs for the base of the project.

R.F.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:19:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › ARM Cortex A50 series 64 bit chips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.