Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ARM Cortex A50 series 64 bit chips (Read 294 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
ARM Cortex A50 series 64 bit chips
10/30/12 at 12:54:51

http://liliputing.com/2012/10/arm-cortex-a50-chips-coming-in-2014-bringing-hi...

Read this, it is the first release of the 2014 chip matrix for 64 bit chips.

Items of note:

AMD listed as a major ARM chip supplier  (told you so)

Chips will be three (3) times more powerful and four (4) times as energy efficient as to what is shipping now (A15?).

What does this mean?   In 2013 Apple will be in production on their version of this chip having had most of 2012 as their "mulligan" period of pre-knowledge.  Note the 20 nanometer size that is quoted as that is the best Apple can do at the moment and the pre-release designs were done for them.

Lookout for some kickass products from Apple to pop up in 2013.

Look for Intel to rev their engines real quick in 2013 to DO SOMETHING as they are not able to meet/exceed ARM's stuff right now and the march to sub 20 nanometer continues and the new ever better stuff keeps on coming right at them.   Intel is getting plowed under ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: ARM Cortex A50 series 64 bit chips
Reply #1 - 10/30/12 at 15:53:43

I'm surprised Apple doesn't buy AMD and cut everybody off at the knees.   That way they would also control their own chip supply.   They have more money than the US Gubernut and God put together.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/30/12 at 16:03:26

Apple has asked AMD to build some chips for them, 64 bit chips of their custom Apple design.   Both Apple and AMD are currently stretched to their current production limits at 20 nanometer, but both will be able to do that business in year 2013-14.  

Apple has the capital to go past that into the new <20 nanometer technologies, but AMD may run out of the stray billion or three it takes to go on to the next level unless they can sell a whole lot of 20 nanometer 64 bit ARM chips in the next two years.   Apple has been known to fund stuff like that though, they did so for Samsung just a year or so ago.

AMD is working hard to survive, make no mistake about it.

Beyond 20 nanometer lies technologies that involve etching 3-D fins on the chip substrate to create thick sections to keep voltage loss down at each transistor gate intersection.

Right now only the South Koreans (TSCM) and Intel can do these special tricks, but such will have to become common place in the next 2 years.  
Apple offered TSCM a one time payment of x.x billion dollars to be a sole source supplier of ARM 64 bit chips just to them exclusively, but TSCM turned them down as the market for these <20 nanometer chips will be HUGE and Apple will only get a one year jump on the "everybody else" crowd (which one year of time has already partially run itself out).   Apple was trying to buy an extension for this technological edge for themselves, but that trick has failed at this point in time.   They can't buy it from AMD as AMD doesn't have it to sell.  Intel does have it though .... but Intel is miffed at Apple at the moment because Apple just dumped their laptop chips for 2013.  

So, Apple is hiring and is building their own <20 nanometer facility at this time.   What is 5-10 measly billion dollars to Apple, a mere drop in the bucket ....

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2012/10/30/arm-unveils-64-bit-cortex-a50-fami...

fficial&client=firefox-a" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/search?q=Apple+chip+fab+plants&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USShockedfficial&client=firefox-a

http://www.eteknix.com/news/apple-lures-away-one-of-samsungs-chip-designers/

http://venturebeat.com/company/taiwan-semiconductor-manufacturing-company/

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 10/30/12 at 17:23:12

hrmmm  these little chips sound like the perfect thing for doing my next server with.  I can hold out that long before I need to re-build it.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/30/12 at 18:09:10

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2221129/arm-unveils-64bit-cortexa50-micro...

Yup, know what you mean -- I had planned to "double up" my existing system next spring (2 gigahertz quad core A-15) but when threatened with 5-6 gigahertz at 1/4 the power draw and 1/4 the heat to dispose of, I too can likely wait a little bit more.

Plus, I cannot believe Intel won't try a technological trump card play of some kind.

AMD is doing the smart thing now, "if you can't beat them, join them" philosophy works for AMD and it may keep them alive a few more years.

Microsoft has spread out its cards on the table at this point in time -- and it does not look compelling.

So, Microchoke will have to come out with a completely fixed Windows 9 within 8-10 months to fix what they frick'd up with Win8, but if Win 9 doesn't swing heavily into ARM's chip orbit at that point then MS is simply betting their ass that Intel can come across with a world slaying chipset that will only work with their Microsoft software.  

And if they continue to do this "Wintel, mated up to the end of time" thing, well it may be the end of time for them both.

The 800 pound gorilla, Apple, will still be driving the technological bandwagon and they are riding fast behind a thoroughbred matched team of light fast Unix/BSD based RISC software and home built ARM 64 bit chipsets ....  with good 'ol Google whipping them onward from their own chariot with Android and Chrome OS running on stock ARM chipsets to make sure they keep up the pace.

Cheesy   ARM hard macro designs are what I am watching for, as the cheapie Chinese chipset guys snap those "ready to run at TSCM" designs up and stick them into these little stick PCs and little development boards that I will be buying.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/30/12 at 20:20:31

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2108712/arm-windows-systems-wont-run-wind...

We sorta knew this was the case from all the way back in 2011, but there was a vague "future plan to make available" referred to several times (given out by lower level Microsoft people later on at seminars, etc).

Now MicroChoke and Intel seem to have reaffirmed their marriage vows together and the ARM processors are back to being illegitimate step children.  

Wintel to the bitter end (be it sooner or later).  

Undecided

I am waiting for them super duper killer chips to come out from Intel to keep this from being a somewhat dead end or "abusive marital relationship".

Otherwise, 'ol MicroChoke isn't gonna wind up being totally faithful to the marriage come Win9 time as they don't have to go down into the dust if Intel can't carry their new little super chip baby to term.

Annulments can happen in cases of documented barrenness,  check out your history books.     Wink

« Last Edit: 10/30/12 at 23:36:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 10/31/12 at 08:28:00

I sure hope MS has another rabbit left to pull outta the hat, as I still have their crappy stock in my porty.   However, this time I'm not so sure yet another "version of winders" (yawn - ho hum) will do the trick?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 10/31/12 at 10:56:54

In a cell phone world where tick-tock happens, but it happens twice as fast and chip power goes up by 3-6x Moore's law each 18 months instead of just doubling, the old school PC world where a Windows version lasts 3-5 years just isn't going to cut it.

Windows 8 was noticeably not up to snuff on tablets the day it came out (no talkee to your tablet, certainly no talkee back from your Win8 surface machine) -- what will that level of behind be like after Apple and Google tweak at each other for another 6-12 months, driving their mutual mad rush to <20 nanometers to totally eclipse Intel's 22 nanometer technology and Microsoft's latest & greatest just released (already behind) Win8 technology level?

Wintel holds to the pace they are going at now, they will be competing with the cheap Chinese chip guys for the year old leftovers (and not price competitive at all in their "chosen marketplace").

Watch Wine/Reactos -- if it comes to fruit (mostly based off of a Wine basis like it is now) then MS really has no grip upon it legally.  Wine can run most older x86 software now on Linux (and Android IS Linux) so a Google/Ubuntu supported Wine/Reactos/Android "run anything" might well come to pass if MS remains stubborn.

If you can suddenly run ALL your old x86 favorite softwares off a ARM chipset and MS won't do the same, who needs MS anymore?  

Of course, if Intel comes up with a wonder chip that clearly outperforms ARM 64 at an equivalent price point, then MS has a place to hang that stubborn hat.   But they need that super chip at a price competitive point and they need it SOON.

But 'ol Intel isn't going to be able to get $999.99 for a new generation chip any more, not when the competition's latest greatest sells for $33-50 a chip.   It simply isn't going to happen any more.

Intel still sells a lot of chips to a lot of people, but as these products are redesigned to use the lower cost similar power ARM chip their other markets will evaporate just like the PC and Server markets are doing.

Trying to keep ARM out by refusing to give full Windows support for it intentionally is sorta stupid in the long run, actually.   x86 software vendors might just write some ARM versions and then where are you, Microsoft?

Google Nexus 7 (with speech commands and reply) $199.99   (current sales at over 1 million per month)

Amazon Kindle Fire (load Google Now for speech) $199.99  (current sales at just under a million per month)

Apple IPad 3s  (with speach commands and reply) $499.99  (peak sales at 3 million on first weekend it came out)

Win8 Surface (no talkee) $599.99 ($699 with the keyboard cover)  (sales figures being held secret -- rumored to be only 50,000 units sold on introduction weekend)

Roll Eyes

So, for the price of the keyboard cover, I can almost buy another Nexus 7 or a Amazon Kindle Fire for my wife?

« Last Edit: 10/31/12 at 12:13:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 11/09/12 at 02:53:13

Back to the main topic of ARM Cortex A57 series 64 bit chips and why did they go there so durn soon after releasing A15 &A7 big-LITTLE  

(other than APPLE said to make me one because they want to dump Intel to the curb real real bad Wink )

This is ARM, explaining themselves when asked why they released another whole generation of chips after only 1 year.

"Smartphones are transitioning from content consumption devices to content creation devices. Now that smartphones are able to capture high quality video and photographs, consumers want to edit and share this content, driving the need for further processing power delivered by the Cortex-57 processor. Content creation is not limited to multi-media, but also documents.

A Cortex-57 processor-based smartphone, wirelessly connected to a screen, keyboard and mouse,delivers a full laptop experience that consumers receive from their typical laptop today.
and APPLE will have it first, doing their Wow thing yet again

The Cortex-A57 processor:

Can deliver all the compute capability a typical consumer needs, from replacing your gaming console to your laptop in innovative portable form factors
   Efficiently run legacy ARM 32-bit applications
   Features cache coherent interoperability with ARM Mali™ family graphics processing units (GPUs) for GPU compute applications
   Offers optional reliability and scalability features for high-performance enterprise applications
   Connects seamlessly to ARMs interconnect with up to 16 cores configurations with more in the future"

OK, please remember that APPLE is the 800 pound gorilla in the computer industry today.  APPLE has a muti-billion dollar deal with ARM to give them all new chip designs one full year ahead of release to the rest of the pack so APPLE can always be "innovating and exciting" to the APPLE freaks out there.  

APPLE has just bought them a new 20 nanometer and below production line that was installed into their own facility.  Notice this chip is designed at .... 20 nanometer.   Amazing, ain't it?

Apple wants this chip, ARM/APPLE has been working on it for a year now and it is now time for the release to everybody else (who is up to their necks in A7 and A15 pre-production jitters to get the last generation of chip designs out for 2013 at 28 nanometers.

Tick-Tock boys and girls, it is relentless and the year is up now.

And you do realize that this tock down to 20 nanometers puts ARM right at the point where Intel actually is right now with their current best production processes?

Intel, you are seeing the plow blade coming down the row towards you.

Time for that rabbit, if you still got one left in the hat.

It is going to be a tough act, that rabbit from the hat.    ARM just doubled their output power yet again (per core) and cut power consumption by a third (per core).  And these are 64 bit cores, which can run two 32 bit instructions simultaneously so the effective core count for all existing ARM based software (which is still all 32 bit) is like doubled yet again on top of everything else.

I don't think Intel can fix the existing issues as they are already too late -- APPLE has this stuff NOW and is working out their production bugs on their own equipment and is bumping on TSCM's butt to get their 20 nanometer line up and running as well.

And everybody else is waiting in line for the world's overtasked 28 nanometer production capacity to make the A15 and A7 ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 11/09/12 at 09:05:38

Are you just anti-Intel or something? Until ARM starts taking over the PC market (which is a LOOOONG ways off) Intel doesn't have to change much.

And when I say PC market I actually means PC's, not those stupid tablets that are only good for being large cel-phones without the actual phone function.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 11/09/12 at 10:13:18

Cavi Mike wrote on 11/09/12 at 09:05:38:
Are you just anti-Intel or something? Until ARM starts taking over the PC market (which is a LOOOONG ways off) Intel doesn't have to change much.

And when I say PC market I actually means PC's, not those stupid tablets that are only good for being large cel-phones without the actual phone function.

I'll admit I'm anti-Intel.  I have been ever since I built my first AMD based computer with the K6 chip long ago.  Ever since I've only used AMD and been very happy with my choice.  Only thing I have now that uses intel is my custom built Lappy that I got this year, and that's only because they didn't offer AMD processor for the build or I would have gone with the AMD.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/09/12 at 10:58:05

Cavi Mike wrote on 11/09/12 at 09:05:38:
Are you just anti-Intel or something? Until ARM starts taking over the PC market (which is a LOOOONG ways off) Intel doesn't have to change much.   Intel just got kicked out of Apple laptops, the Apple PCs won't be that far away into the future.

Cavi,  Intel is missing the boat, failing to show up at the game, not watching the baby.  

Making great big power hungry chips to go into PCs is fine, they have that down to an art and are the best that there is at doing that, no argument (give it a year or so and we might have to talk again).

But the PC as we know it is ENDING within the next 5-10 years, replaced by a phone that sits in your pocket and that phone can run your keyboard and your mouse and your screen from your pocket.

Now, you and I may still be typing on our old PCs because they will still work and we won't throw them away.   But we won't be buying a new one, not a Hewlett Packard from Best Buy anyway because they won't exist any more.  (both companies are already in trouble)

There will still be some business uses for a real PC, same uses that used to run on the old SUN workstation level machines.   CAD, graphics, heavy duty database applications and that sort of stuff that needs some real horsepower to run.    But these things can also live at a server farm and you just run a lighter application through the web for input data and printing and such.  

The normal person will be running software that hasn't even been invented yet through their personal data center (which they carry in their pocket).

Cost will drive this change.   Intel gets more money right now just for the main CPU on a new generation PC than an entire new top end cell phone costs.  They can't get away with this in a future where the phone can do everything a PC can do, from your pocket no less.   Unless somebody really NEEDS that PC for work related something nobody is going to shell out the dollars for one.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 11/09/12 at 11:26:16

For the time being, I can't see my industry going with ARM pc's or distributed computing.  Not enough HP or issues with security.

And everything I use is ported to microsh!t only.  Not that it can't be ported to something else soon.  Until linux in whatever flavor hits the high ended design world, aint gonna happen.  once the key is turned... goodbye ms.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 11/09/12 at 11:47:50

verslagen1 wrote on 11/09/12 at 11:26:16:
For the time being, I can't see my industry going with ARM pc's or distributed computing.  Not enough HP or issues with security.

And everything I use is ported to microsh!t only.  Not that it can't be ported to something else soon.  Until linux in whatever flavor hits the high ended design world, aint gonna happen.  once the key is turned... goodbye ms.

What industry is it you work in verslagen?

About the only thing I use MicroSuck for anymore is the very few games I play and also the video transcoding software I use for getting all my movies on my home server.  Everything else I can do in Linux,  well almost if I want to stream from Netflix I have to be in Winblows but other then that Linux is what I use for most everything anymore. I'm sure I could do the transcoding in Linux as well just haven't really looked into it yet.  What I use for decoding the DVD's and Blu-Rays is only in WinBlows compatible format right now and that really sucks but I'm hoping one day they will release a Linux version.

R.F.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 11/09/12 at 12:05:56

aerospace

WWW   IP Logged