Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rain-X equivalent for visor? (Read 217 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Rain-X equivalent for visor?
10/30/12 at 11:29:02

Is anyone familiar with a Rain-X equivalent that's safe for motorcycle visors?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rain-X equivalent for visor?
Reply #1 - 10/30/12 at 11:34:59

Way back in 1974 products like Rain X did not exist, and at the local airport we used Lemon Pledge on the plexiglass windscreens.  It worked just fine and the water beaded and ran off just like Rain X.

It might/could just work on facesheilds.  Me.....I just stay out of the rain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #2 - 10/30/12 at 15:01:51

I'm with Dave   not only do I stay out of(riding in) the rain   I don't even want my bike parked out in the rain   for a number of reasons : rust  corrosion  oxidation  ..etc...   as the years go by

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 10/30/12 at 17:20:25

Dave wrote on 10/30/12 at 11:34:59:
Way back in 1974 products like Rain X did not exist, and at the local airport we used Lemon Pledge on the plexiglass windscreens.  It worked just fine and the water beaded and ran off just like Rain X.

It might/could just work on facesheilds.  Me.....I just stay out of the rain.

Even today we use lemon Pledge to wash all of the plexiglass windows on Army Aircraft!  It works great.  Dust and dirt wipe off easy and rain generally beads off.  I do the same on my helmet visor.  It even helps take off bug guts.  Cool

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 10/31/12 at 00:30:19

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 10/30/12 at 11:29:02:
Is anyone familiar with a Rain-X equivalent that's safe for motorcycle visors?

-D. Dwarf

Dwarf, I use a Fulmer F655 helmet with the matched Fulmer visor. It has the same number with a different letter designation and the same 655 numeric. I've used Rain X for a couple of years with no problems. My visors are $20, so I took a chance and it worked ok. That's been my experience. ihth    Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #5 - 10/31/12 at 09:54:11

errr, am i not supposed to put rain-x on my full face visor?

applied it a coupla times now and besides rain/mist, bugs, etc. seem to come off easier.

IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #6 - 10/31/12 at 13:50:37

I am an avid believer in the benefit of Rain-X for use on my car windows.  Fantastic in rain and even better for other liquids like mud or bird crap.  Even helps in de-icing due to beading it into pellets that scrape off easy.

As for a bike, I think on the wind shield it and mirrors that would be fine.  Would help them stay clear and hopefully letting bug guts roll off.  But noton a helmet.  I have seen this stuff cause streaking and glares, especially when new, and would hate for visibility to be impacted.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #7 - 10/31/12 at 14:18:06

didn't think about the glare, etc.  i also put some rain-x antifog on the inside of my full helmet.  that works really nicely on the plastic....but doesn't work worth a crap on my eye glasses.  they fog up pretty constantly in cooler weather when i come to a stop.  so i'm constantly lifting my shield to clear them.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #8 - 10/31/12 at 14:19:37

Not sure if this works or not, but when I was at a dealership checking out the MadAss,  the mechanic recommended rubbing a dryer sheet on the visor to prevent fog up and disperse rain.
Undecided

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #9 - 10/31/12 at 16:40:36

For years I have used Race Glaze on both my paint, frames, helmets and visors.  Produces a great shine, water beads up, dirt, bugs and tar clean easier....and it helps clean stubborn tar off when you put it on too.   You can buy it at your autostore in the polish and wax area.    Wipe on, it clouds up, then wipe off.

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 10/31/12 at 17:27:48

I ride in the rain, hafta.....I use a product called "Raincoat" and love it. I apply it about once a week, and its raining pert near everyday, and it helps BIG time. For the most part I do my windscreen/shield, and duck my head in so close the rain can't reach my visor. Heck, I pull it up and only lower it when I come out at the intersections  Roll Eyes
It beads up quickly and so small you don't really notice them in your sight of vision.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 10/31/12 at 19:01:18

misterbbq wrote on 10/31/12 at 09:54:11:

applied it a coupla times now and besides rain/mist, bugs, etc. seem to come off easier.

It says on the side of the little yeller bottle to not using on plastics unless approved by the plastic maker. Since I can't read that tiny print anymore, I am going mostly from memory.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #12 - 10/31/12 at 19:22:04

I don't use anything on the outside of the visor, but a very thin film of dishwashing detergent rubbed on the inside seems to suppress fogging fairly well. I find this to be more of a problem than rain on the outside of the visor.

- David
  IP Logged
Dutch82
YaBB Newbies

Michigan/Montana
Reply #13 - 11/01/12 at 08:10:43

misterbbq wrote on 10/31/12 at 14:18:06:
didn't think about the glare, etc.  i also put some rain-x antifog on the inside of my full helmet.  that works really nicely on the plastic....but doesn't work worth a crap on my eye glasses.  they fog up pretty constantly in cooler weather when i come to a stop.  so i'm constantly lifting my shield to clear them.

I have two words for you:  Cat Crap

I use it on my visor, sunglasses, ski goggles, racquetball goggles...etc.  Put it on once a week and you will never have a fog problem again.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_EK-Cat-Crap-Lens-Cleaner_100463...

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #14 - 11/01/12 at 18:01:59

Boofer wrote on 10/31/12 at 19:01:18:
misterbbq wrote on 10/31/12 at 09:54:11:

It says on the side of the little yeller bottle to not using on plastics unless approved by the plastic maker. Since I can't read that tiny print anymore, I am going mostly from memory.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:32:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rain-X equivalent for visor?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.