Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
No torque at higher RPMS (Read 239 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: No torque at higher RPMS
Reply #15 - 10/30/12 at 15:29:59

When in doubt....put things back the way they used to be ....then start over by just changing one thing at a time.  If you put the jets back to what you had originally....it should run the same. (Don't change the exchaust).  Then you can change one at a time and see if things get better.....or worse with that change.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #16 - 10/30/12 at 16:01:04

I put it in straight from the box from Lancer.  I haven't messed with the slider.....not sure what you are referring to.

I have only messed with the jets so far.

I have to check my old carb and see what the needle setup was.  As for now I have it back to the jets that were in the old carb but it is still running poorly no power / torque.  

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 10/30/12 at 17:10:21

If an engine picks up rpm & the speedo doesnt show more MPH, the clutch is slipping, so, no, you wont feel any torque.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #18 - 10/30/12 at 17:35:47

WOO HOO

I think I got it mostly fixed.

I have POWER and TORQUE now!!!!!!

I swapped old carb diaphragm which I assume is stock washer on the needle, because I couldn't get it apart one of the small brass screws was very tight and I didn't want to strip the head, so I just swapped them.

I am sitting at a stock 145 and 52.5 with what I believe to be a stock needle spacer. at 2.5 turns on the air mix screw I still have some popping on deceleration but not much.  at 3 turns it is better.  I don't want to ride at 3 turns out so I am going to drop the pilot to 50.

Again THANKS for all the help, I think I understand the carb tuning better now.

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #19 - 10/30/12 at 18:25:00

So i got to thinking as I was replacing the pilot screw shouldn't I go to a 55 instead of the other way to 50. If I am getting pops and backfire on deceleration it is too lean on the lower portion of the throttle correct?

I tried both the 50 and the 55.  The 50 was worse.  I changed out to the 55 and sure enough I am now 1.5 turns out on the Air Mix screw and I couldn't get it to pop or backfire at all, and I have more Power and Torque than I ever had.....or it could be my imagination because it has been screwed up for almost a month.

FIXED

I wanted to make sure I got that all squared away before I started messing with something else.

So

Now on to the next project..........

Verslagen1 I will be tearing down my Cam Chain adjuster soon.  I ordered all the parts to replace gaskets and Oil filter while I am in there.

Then the fork seals and dust seals on my forks.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 10/30/12 at 18:34:55

Rich can cause popping, too...
Bikes very often pop in the mountains because of this...
In the old days,.. people in cars used to turn their air filter covers upside-down, to lean them out in the mountains....

If it's running good, and not doing gunshot backfires,... just mellow pops and blats,... I'd leave it alone...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 10/31/12 at 05:21:18

My method for choosing the correct Pilot jet is the setting on the mixture screw.  You want as small of a Pilot Jet as you can that allows the engine to run smoothly.  With the engine warm and idling, turn the screw in until the engine RPM's begin to drop....then turn the screw out until the engine runs smoothly.....then continue to turn it out until the engine rpms drop and the engine begins to run rich.  If you cannot turn the screw out enough to make the engine run rich....then the pilot jet is too small.  If you can turn the mixture screw out 3 turns without the engine beginning to run too rich....the next size bigger pilot jet is probably needed.

Once you find the correct pilot jet that allows you to find the settings that will make the engine run lean and rich......you set the mixture screw between those two limits.  Then ride the bike and see how the bike firing is......and you can open the mixture screw a little bit and see if that cuts the backfiring down any.  You will never be able to eliminate it completely......big singles and those big V-twins backfire and there is no way to elininate it (maybe Fuel Injection systems can).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:30:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No torque at higher RPMS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.