Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
+/- of drilling or replacing muffler (Read 611 times)
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: +/- of drilling or replacing muffler
Reply #30 - 11/01/12 at 01:31:44

So Routy, if you've put 8 5/16th holes you have enlarged the exhaust exit thingy by 2 1/2 inches, or is my maths wrong?

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 11/01/12 at 01:41:36

Also Routy, did you drill in place, or remove the pop rivets and plate?

IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #32 - 11/01/12 at 08:00:38

JC Stokes,  It doesn't add that way.  Each hole's square area is less than it's diameter.  Find the area of the drilled hole and multiply by how many holes.  ( I think ).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 11/01/12 at 09:39:06

.6136 square inches in those 8 holes. Or coulda poked one hole .441941738 inches in diameter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #34 - 11/01/12 at 17:36:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/01/12 at 00:04:52:
Hey, Hero7, did you do the whole install on the Dyna or did you get an adapter made at a muffler shop?

I tried, every shop near me wanted 50 bucks plus.(maybe they smelled my newbishness) One guy quoted me 180. So I just went and bought the ryca version. that didnt pan out either. Still had leaks because there were two clamps now. I said no thanks to all that mess and jumped on a supertrapp in the marketplace for 170. For that price and ease of install it was worth it. I fired it up and it had a little more beef to the idle and a whole lot better of a sound and it made me  Grin. the kicker was when I pulled away from my house and there was no more VW bug sound coming from my morterbike. very pleased.

To recap for the original posterman. The dyna is the best bet granted you can get one for under $25, and get the adapter for about the same(might get lucky and not need it). You can probably get away with bending the brake arm in a wee bit in a vice.

Honestly, you or anyone can have mine for the price of shipping, it aint pretty but it will work. Its just sitting on my back seat collecting dust. its got a pretty bad blueing/rubber stain in the middle of it.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 11/01/12 at 18:30:21

I tried, every shop near me wanted 50 bucks plus.(maybe they smelled my newbishness) One guy quoted me 180.

WOW!!  Iva had a bent section cut off the backhoe muffler( I folded it over when it hung on a vine) & replaced, cut & welded, one end flared, no bends, of course, Ill try not to do that again..& spent a whopping $30.00. Heck, I got the muffler and pipe & welded for under $50.00 I think.,.,They just tried to hang you., bummer, dude, but ya sure got a breat on that TRapp.. IIRC, theyre about $400.00 Dollurs,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #36 - 11/03/12 at 18:00:05

Well, after reading through this thread, I went out and looked at the end of my muffler, which I've always assumed was completly stock. It's got two extra holes in it, each about 1/2 inch; one at 12:00 and one at 6:00. Even with the extra holes the exhaust on this bike is pretty quiet.

I can't wait to discover what other mods the three previous owners might have done as I get more familiar with this thing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 11/04/12 at 05:17:21

oldNslow wrote on 11/03/12 at 18:00:05:
Well, after reading through this thread, I went out and looked at the end of my muffler, which I've always assumed was completly stock. It's got two extra holes in it, each about 1/2 inch; one at 12:00 and one at 6:00. Even with the extra holes the exhaust on this bike is pretty quiet.

I can't wait to discover what other mods the three previous owners might have done as I get more familiar with this thing.

That is a .19635 sq." increase in area.

How big Is the ID on the stocker, anyway?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #38 - 11/04/12 at 07:22:04

"How big Is the ID on the stocker, anyway?"

Mine is about 5/8". Not a lot of area even with the extra holes.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #39 - 11/04/12 at 07:37:50

J C Stokes wrote on 11/01/12 at 01:41:36:
Also Routy, did you drill in place, or remove the pop rivets and plate?

I drilled on the bike.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #40 - 11/10/12 at 07:15:12

Let's say you have two exhaust pipes each with an ID of 2".  Inside each of those exhaust pipes, you weld a 2" diameter baffle.

One baffle has 20 holes
-- each hole about a 1/4 inch in diameter, ~.126” radius (.126 because the guy doing the drilling used a battery-powered handheld drill with dull Big Lots bits not even made in China)
-- each hole  ~.05 square inches in area
-- 20 x .126 x .126 x 3.142 = .998  
-- total area for exhaust flow approx 1 square inch.  

The other baffle has one 1 1/8" hole, punched at a machine shop.
-- 9/16” radius
-- total area for exhaust flow about 1 square inch.  (9/16 = .5625, so.....  .563 x .563 x 3.142 = .996)

For the sake of discussion, let's say the total area available to flow exhaust is the same for each baffle.  

Which exhaust pipe baffle will have less back pressure?

Which will make more noise?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #41 - 11/10/12 at 07:24:23

I would think the single hole would have less back pressure, and more noise.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #42 - 11/13/12 at 05:08:58

Routy wrote on 11/10/12 at 07:24:23:
I would think the single hole would have less back pressure, and more noise.

Correct.  Every hole has a bit of turbulence around the edge that adds drag and therefore restricts flow a tiny bit.  More holes=more turbulence=more drag for a given area of holes available for flowing the exhaust gases.  There are a large number of variables (heat, pulsing (lack of smoothness), rpm, back pressure, etc.), but in this application, the total area of the holes in the 20-hole plate should probably be 10%-15% greater than the single hole for the same flow.  As you might expect, this negates, somewhat, the noise reduction from the 20 holes.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:22:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › +/- of drilling or replacing muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.