Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
+/- of drilling or replacing muffler (Read 611 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Re: +/- of drilling or replacing muffler
Reply #15 - 10/30/12 at 17:14:34

I'm wondering if drilling holes in the baffles would have about the same effect, with no work other than whatever rejetting might be needed. Anybody monitoring this thread tried it with the S40/Savage and can compare to installing the Dyna muffler?

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/30/12 at 17:29:06

Its been done, some who did it said they liked the result, otyhers, not so much, The Dyna weighs considerably less, is more attractive than any other Common muffler, tho I gotta hand it to Brave Teacher for puttin together a fine looking muffler, with that brass insert & all. His took some time, a Dyna is a grab & go kinda deal, except for havin a muffler shop build up an angled tube to join it to the header, I think some have managed to dodge that, but, wouldnt swear to it.,
My opinion? The stock exhaust is nothing short of hideous,.few others disagree.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 10/30/12 at 18:11:18

DavidOfMA wrote on 10/30/12 at 09:43:09:
Thanks. I'm getting the idea that the Harley muffler is preferred by most, but wondering what advantages of the SuperTrapp are for the one respondent who likes it here. Also wondering what advantage the Harley muffler has over just drilling some holes in the stock muffler baffles. What kind of rejetting is typically needed if I go the Harley muffler route? Right now, the bike backfires badly and I'm hoping going up a size in the pilot jet will fix that, along with readjusting the idle mix screw. Will I need to modify those changes if I go with a less restrictive muffler?

I've actually got a Jardine on mine (which I got for cheap slightly used from one of our members here).  It's quite loud under hard throttle, but I like it. Without tearing into the carbuerator to check, I believe mine has already been re-jetted for a less restrictive exhaust, even though it had the fairly restrictive stock exhaust.

Mine had the unmodified stock exhaust when I got it...it sounded like I was riding a sewing machine.  Grin  I drilled 4 x 1/2" holes in my stock exhaust.  It became a little louder and deeper...but sounded like I was riding an old Volkswagon Beetle (it had that metallic ping from the baffles in the stock exhaust). I then snagged the Jardine from a member here, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Drill the stock exhaust first since that's free.   Wink

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/30/12 at 22:23:52

I have no experience with the Dyna and that is the route I will eventually take more than likely.

I have an 07 s40 and def wanted a louder and deeper exhaust, I started by drilling 4 1/2 inch holes and it was louder and deeper but still pretty weak. I then moved to 4 3/8ths of an inch holes and it sounds 10 times better. Much louder and deeper sounds more like a motorcycle rather than a toy. It still isnt as loud or deep as I would like but for the price of free you cannot beat it. I have not rejet mine and I cannot notice any problems at all. I do still have the pops under decceleration though.

I would start with drilling 1/2 inch holes and see how you like it, then if you want more I would move up to 3/8ths.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 10/30/12 at 22:31:00

YOur drill bit index is set up a bit different than mine, I think.,,

Mine has the 3/8ths just in a slightly smaller hole than the 1/2 inch..

1/2 X 4/4 = 4/8 = 1/2"

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 10/31/12 at 06:45:22

Ended up w/ 5/16" hole size here. I like it. My bro's Dana sounds a little better, but it sure isn't any faster,....and both w/ stock jets, both on '07s
And after 4 yrs, his Dana still leaks at the muff inlet.
Its only fair to warn you (read dozens of posts here) that a Dana install is not straight forward,.....that most who have done it are still fighting leaks. So unless you are a real exhaust leak technition, or a good welder, think twice before ditching the stock exhaust. Myself, I like "original"

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #21 - 10/31/12 at 09:41:20

My 1990 came to me with the stock muffler drilled like the post above.  I never had a problem with the sound.  It was a bit throatier than stock and obviously cheaper than even a Dyna as it is no cost.  I don't know if it was rejetted as I never bothered to look.  The biggest difference between mine and my wife's stock 2004 was hers did the popping on deceleration and mine didn't.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #22 - 10/31/12 at 09:54:33

I'm not looking to make the sound louder, deeper, or more "cool," just to make the bike run better. Not clear, from people who have done it, that drilling out the baffles actually makes a noticeable difference in performance. Or does it?

In terms of adding the Dyna muffler, what kinds of performance improvements, if any, do you notice? I'd be particularly interested in acceleration improvements at highway speeds, as I don't feel as maneuverable as I'd like to there.

- David
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 10/31/12 at 10:26:22

Just a muffler won't give you "dramatic" performance gains... even a K/N air filter, exhaust port match, muffler, and rejet... will only give 3 to 5 hp's...
That equals a subtle but noticeable gain....
10% to 20% gain...

Just a muffler,.. 5% to 10%...

A Harley shorty,... sounds better, is lighter, better made, and looks better...
.. and it breathes just a bit better... other brands will make more noise,.. but little difference in performance...
Sometimes the sound gives the illusion of more gain,.. but it ain't magic...
Advertisers want you think it is... Huh...

Drilling out a stock muffler is mostly a sound modification...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 10/31/12 at 10:41:11

IMO, even If the Dyna offered zero change in sound & power, its a step up in look & ya lose a few pounds. But, ya do get a better sound, & it flows easier. YOu may or may not need a rejet,
If it was mine, Id get the OEM muffler off, just to make it easy on the muffler people & to make sure they didnt mess things up yanking/beating on the Trash Can, Ride it to the shop, let it cool off & show them what youre trying to do. Id definitely call ahead, make sure theyll do it for a reasonable price.

Waitaminnit,, Havent some people made the switch w/o having to have a bent part made? You spose theres some tiny swing in the header in or out that makes it work easier?

Anyway, If you can get some help & get the thing on w/o leaks, youll like the heck out of it I think,, Or, look at that thing Brave Teacher did, Thats a nice look, not a ton O $$, just add talent, skill & ability,,

Dont forget to take T-Clamps.
Id think a properly flared & slotted adapter with a good clamp would not leak, The adapter otta not run $20.00,, I dont think it should be more than $10.00, unless you get stainless, which would be nice, but it will go behind a shield. There are shields available that are straight, to replace that flared thing that goes to the Trash Can.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #25 - 10/31/12 at 13:29:22

I dunno, 10% is a pretty big gain in my book. I'd have to call that dramatic for something as simple as a different muffler and air-filter. There aren't too many vehicles out there that will gain 10% from that. That's usually something a turbocharged vehicle will gain.

IP Logged
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 10/31/12 at 15:43:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/30/12 at 22:31:00:
YOur drill bit index is set up a bit different than mine, I think.,,

Mine has the 3/8ths just in a slightly smaller hole than the 1/2 inch..

1/2 X 4/4 = 4/8 = 1/2"

Yeah it was late, I actually meant to say I started with 1/4 inch holes not 1/2.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 10/31/12 at 16:06:17

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/31/12 at 13:29:22:
I dunno, 10% is a pretty big gain in my book. I'd have to call that dramatic for something as simple as a different muffler and air-filter. There aren't too many vehicles out there that will gain 10% from that. That's usually something a turbocharged vehicle will gain.

On a 31hp bike,.. that's only 3 horsies..  
I'm putting out about 34hp now...  

3 more horsies just feels like your bike got out of the right side of the bed today...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #28 - 10/31/12 at 22:40:57

Routy wrote on 10/31/12 at 06:45:22:
And after 4 yrs, his Dana still leaks at the muff inlet.
Its only fair to warn you (read dozens of posts here) that a Dana install is not straight forward,.....that most who have done it are still fighting leaks. So unless you are a real exhaust leak technition, or a good welder, think twice before ditching the stock exhaust. Myself, I like "original"

My experience as well. I had the Dyna but it leaked like heck. Supertrappp or the original is best in my opinion. I like the look of the Dyna but the super is cool too!!
This mine  Cheesy

image_014.jpg

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 11/01/12 at 00:04:52

Hey, Hero7, did you do the whole install on the Dyna or did you get an adapter made at a muffler shop?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:19:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › +/- of drilling or replacing muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.